Plywood ???

seabasser

Cadet
I have done quite a bit of boat rebuilding, and have almost exclusively used fir plywood. Now my father inlaw is rebuilding his boat and came home with a bunch of sheets of bc pine plywood (because it's cheaper). I was always under the impression that the glass would not stick to well to pine. another reason he got it is because many of the fiberglass boat builders in the area are using it. (their wood work has never impressed me) I was just wondering if anyone has used this and had good or bad luck.

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Plywood ???

from what i've heard birch is ok, as long as its high grade and theres no voids, epoxy resin will help it last

oops!

Supreme Mariner

since i live in bc...im biased :D

but what part of the boat is he re-doing?

early boat building used just about anything...including pallets!

seabasser

Cadet

yeah this isn't birch, this is southern yellow pine plywood, he is re-doing the stringers and deck.

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my mistake, guess i read that wrong, i'm sure what you have will be fine as long as theres no voids and it gets sealed w/ epoxy

Bondo

Staff member

this is southern yellow pine plywood,

I'd think this is as good as any Fir product.......

Northern White Pine is a different story.....

seabasser

Cadet

well i know glassing to a yellow pine 2x doesn't work, it sticks for a while but ends up popping in the end, and he is using poly resin, i tried to talk him into epoxy it is definetly better, but i jsut as well talk to a door.

Robj

Lieutenant

I work in the industry and live in BC. My suggestion is to buy BC Douglas Fir, exterior grade ply. The pine grows in dry parts of the province while doug fir grows in the wetter parts, making it more resistant to rott, it is also stronger. Remember buy BC, the industry needs all the help it can get right now.

Have a great day,

Rob.