Texas Maid project update, with pix

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Finally made enough progress and shot enough pix to give an update on the Texas Maid restoration project. Goal is to make a good fishing boat out of her using twin outboards for power. She's still rough...need to de-rust and paint the trailer and boat and finalize the seating after a late March test run on the water.
Photo 1 shows the brochure concept with full specs
Photo 2 shows how I found her, abandoned in a North Texas marina yard
Photo 3 shows her this morning, in profile...notice how the windshield has cleaned up nicely using Meguiar's plastic cleaner and polish, some of the old chrome trim shined up nicely using Never-dull metal polish
Photo 4 shows the Johnson FD twin outboards...one 18 hp and one 15 hp, hooked in tandem using cable over pulley steering, and the cable routing for twin outboards
Photo 5 shows the inside/deck/seat layout in it's possibly first incarnation...seating may change depending on how durable it proves.
Still need to wire up the bow and stern lights and a horn to a portable/removeable battery of some kind...leaning toward a motorcycle battery as I am never out at night...still need running lights to be legal though.
Any comments/input are welcome. For the final paint scheme, I'm thinking white on the hull and trailer, turqoise on the top gunwhales and bow deck, and maybe turquoise on the trailer rims. I'll post more pix as I make more progress. Texas Maid boats are unique...you can check other restorations on the fiberglassics site, at fiberglassics dot com. Later

Attachments

• TMbrochurepix.jpg
    TMbrochurepix.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1
  • TMoriginal1.jpg
    TMoriginal1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1
  • TM3108profile.jpg
    TM3108profile.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1
  • TM3108motors2.JPG
    TM3108motors2.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 1
  • TM3108deckndash.JPG
    TM3108deckndash.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Texas Maid project update, with pix

Thanks TD. I liked your thread on making those seats. I had two seats out of my former boat lying around, so decided to get some more use out of them. I toyed with back-to-back seating, but decided it would eat up a lot of deck space in a fishing boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

for fishing your set up is fine. i wish i could find a set of twins for mine. would have to be twin 25's as mine is rated for 50hp. got the 48 spl on it right now. got the original shift to work with the 88 48 spl.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If the twin 18's don't have enough umph on the water, I'm considering twin 25's or a single Javelin 35 hp. May have to do some horse tradin' if it goes that way.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Got the wiring for the bow and stern lights done this weekend. Now I trudge onward to sanding, priming, painting the trailer and getting it tagged.