removing transom

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
when i went to remove my engine and clean my boat i fell into the transom, ok whatever i thought (dont ask how i fell, something to do with that evaporating beer that has been going around i think) but my elbow went into soemthing that went crunch....shoulda went thud. I look around and i had done some heavy damage to i poke around and its ROTTED!! go figure, well i handnt planned on pullling the cap off cause the stringers are already gone. So what is the easiest way to remove this bad boy. so far its been 2 hours of clawing it out with a claw hammer. and i have about all the rot out but i am getting to the hard stuff.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: removing transom

that evaporating beer is really a wild thing ! :D

if you have any questions or need to know how to make beer evaporate quicker.....you know where to find me

cheers
oops

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

small chain saw, good shop vac. good scraper to get the remains stuck to the glass.

Attachments

• scraper.jpg
    scraper.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 0

holgo123

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same problem... All the rotted wood came out like soft mulch, but then came the good wood... I use a air hammer with a flat chisel. Held it parallel to the transom and peeled away the good wood soooo easily...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=183387

Good Luck!

peacekeeper6

so basically i have to get a good place to start peeling, i dont wanna take the cap off that is my only hinder.

*EdC*

I removed the wood in my transom from the top. Below is a photo of the tools I used
top.. is a 3/4" spade bit with the point ground off. It's mounted to an extension.
Middle.. is a 1' wood chisel I welded to a piece of steel rod
Bottom.. is a piece of 3/4" wide steel flat stock I bent and ground a chiesel end on it.

Attachments

• small tools.jpg
    small tools.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 0