Removing the cap of this bass boat

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well fellas - I finally come to the conclusion that the cap must be removed. :( After digging out more foam and old rotted stringer material, the idea of joining new stringers to old ones just flew out the window! This decision was also greatly influenced by all the replies to my other posts and discussions with ya'll concerning replacing the stringers. ;)

Now I have a whole new slough of questions. I know I need to remove the motor, batteries, trolling motor, charger, and whatever I can get my hands on. But, can I leave the wiring and steering cables that routes through the side cavity running to the console and bow electronics?​

I believe I just remove the rubrail screws and transom angle plate and I could then pry the cap loose. I'm thinking that four people could lift it and remove it from the hull.​

Am I leaving anything out in this procedure?​

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Removing the cap of this bass boat

there is a great post somewhere here, that the guy built a lift, and lifted the cap off the boat,, and then just pull the hull out from under it. you want as much out of the way as you can get, cable get in the way, and get hung up, when removing the cap.

salty87

Commander

okie, there's a few big hurdles like this one...pulling engine, cutting out old stringers vs working with them...etc, they aren't particularly difficult. of course, i haven't put mine back together yet...but, just work in small size projects. try not to think about it all at once. haha

the job makes a terrible mess. fiberglass dust is very fine and gets everywhere, wouldn't be good for electronics or control cables. plus, as td said, it all just gets in the way when you're working.

the dash area and windshield were surprisingly heavy on my boat but i have an open bow. you won't want much flexing either. i saw redfury's post a while back about a lift he rigged, very similar to this...i've had the top half hanging for 4 months now. i ran some 4x4 under it for long term support, should be able to just drive back under it...fingers crossed.

IMG_0273.jpg

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Salty, that looks familiar. I did something similar with my Supra, but had to lower the top to the ground because a huricane was coming. Damn large tree branch came down and split the top. That also was another reason I parted it out.​

salty87

Commander

Salty, that looks familiar. I did something similar with my Supra, but had to lower the top to the ground because a huricane was coming. Damn large tree branch came down and split the top. That also was another reason I parted it out.​

that might have been one hell of an omen too. i hope you weren't very far along.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good idea on building a support/lift contraption. My only problem is I live in a cul-de-sac and don't have the room. Luckily, my solution is "family". After talking to him last night, he offered his help and offered his 30'x60' shop where he stores his Ranger. He said we'll pull out the Ranger, cover it, and use his Ford tractor to lift off this 300 lb motor and place it on a motor stand that his friend will let us borrow. It was a true gift, because I know how he is about that Ranger being outside FOR ANY REASON! I think most of you know how some dads are "tool freaks". He has super duty straps and everything needed to lift the cap and perform all the repairs plus everything else that it needs. It'll be a tremendous help in doing all this. Plus, he's pretty wise when it comes to boats.

Much of my worry has been lifted by his offer. He'll probably even enjoy helping me redo and fix everything. I consider myself lucky.:)

I plan to take stepped photos for everyone here. I bought this boat for the purpose of wetting a line as much as possible and not wetting myself when something goes wrong "because I didn't do it right". :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

good deal we need all the documentation we can get. thanks.