Upsizing Trim Tabs

mick1973

Cadet
I need to replace my trim tab system, the old system was a Bennett Standard Trim Tab Kit 12x12, I have enough room to upgrade to the 18x12.

My question is: Would I have to drill a new hole in the transom for the pipe nipple that runs to the tabs actuator?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Upsizing Trim Tabs

call bennett they have a fantastic, support system. they may be able to tell you something you can do with out changing.

mick1973

Cadet
Re: Upsizing Trim Tabs

Thank you, I just got off the phone with them.

They told me that, it could be swapped with out redrilling, but dumb old me had the measurements all mixed up (chord/span). Also I was told that I would have to keep the tabs atleast 8" away from where the props line up with the hull in order to avoid cavitation.

Now get this, I went to the transom to make some measurments and discovered that it's impossible to go much larger than a 12x12 tab because the transom makes a 90 degree dip inorder to accommodate the twin engine bracket, I've had this boat for almost 10 years and I've never noticed that.

Anyway the guy at Bennett suggested that I go with their DropFins (DF12) which is an even more simple solution.

And you're right the guy at Bennett was fantastic he solved my problem without making me feel like the dummy I now know I am:redface: