need visual aid

joy

Cadet
Does anyone have any restoration pictures that might be able to help me out. I am replacing the decking and transom. The transom makes me nervous only because its a fiberglass boat, the plywood is rotten (stern drive motor so the motors gotta come out) and what does the plywood actually connect to? The decking is already out and the boat has had time to dry out. I'm still trying to determine whether I should replace the stringers. They seem in pretty good shape, I might just reinforce them. Wonder if that would be a weight issue. Anyway the transom is my major fear. I'll have pictures to post soon, but for now any pictures you have or could direct me to that would be great.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: need visual aid

WELCOME TO I BOATS

the transom is nothing to fear.

there is about five or six guys doin transoms right now on this site.

just hit the search button and start reading.....

i also purchased a book called runabout renovation. by jim anderson.
its a grade 8 read so any one can understand it.

but here is another one

http://70silverline.250free.com/Skankybeast.html

that one is the most famous on the site......very well done and presented well.

thattl get ya started.

cheers
oops

joy

Cadet

thanks oops! Right off, am I gonna have to take the top of the boat off for this project that seems like it would really be a pain with all the wiring etc.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yup caps gotta come off for the transom....

you can do it with out taking the cap off....however its a pita.

if you are doing stringers as well...theres two ways of doing the whole thing...

1..take the cap off and do the transom.
put the cap back on and do the stringers and floor.

you can do this the other way around. but youve gotta attach the new strings to the transom.

2. take the cap off and do the whole thing at once.....

if you do this....you must brace the sides.....the reason is.....after the cap comes off...to walls of the hull will flop out some.....so then you do the strings and the floor ...and the cap wont fit....kinda like puttin a tupperware lid on the wrong sized bowl......

i drilled holes thru my hull and placed threadded rod thru with bolts on each side.....see..

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

i havent put the cap back on yet...but i know the measurements are bang on and the cap should fit.

i also must note...in boat construction, there are two cap /hull joint types...
the standard is the shoe box type.
the other is the flange joint type...not very common...if you do have a flange type...dont take the cap off..!!!...waaayyy too much work.
you will know what one you have as soon as you get the rub rail off.

cheers
oops