Fine line Masking tape

QC

Supreme Mariner
Any brand names or suggestions for masking tape for a boat hull? I am painting the bottom and want a crisp line between that and the topsides. The destructions say "fine line" masking tape, but I can't make real sense out of that at Home Despot . . .

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fine line Masking tape

Go to an automotive paint store, they'll have all you need.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Go to an automotive paint store, they'll have all you need.

Do they actually make a fine-line masking tape for better lines than that crappy painters tape?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

google fine line masking tape. lot of stuff there.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

At My Parts House the Green Tape is the Best,.....Blue is 2nd Best,+ traditional Masking Tape is dead last......

Your results may vary................... ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

google fine line masking tape. lot of stuff there.
Like duh . . . why didn't I think of that? Doh! Funny how some of the simplest stuff can stop me dead in my tracks . . . I am realising that a lot with this project. I can spend an hour debating 1 1/4" vs. 1 1/2" screws :rolleyes: :redface: Would that be screwin' with myself?

TAV MAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would it help if you used the green tape then paint the edge with the base color. Then paint with the top paint.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Eventually I am going to cover the "seam" with a white Bootstripe. But I want to check the water line actually in the water for that. Now, I am going to have red on the bottom, then dark blue above that. Simply becasue I am anal, and I want it to look good sitting in my garage, and mostly I want to learn how to do it right before I paint the Bootstripe, I want a nice crisp line between the red and blue . . .

Not sure I follow you TAV, I could do a sloppy line and no tape with my bottom color and then tape off that, and only use tape once . . . Might be cleaner that way. I was planning on tape on the primer, paint the bottom, peal off the tape, retape on the bottom color just at the line, paint the topsides. With the Bootstripe I will have to tape off both sides of it, the blue above and a slight sliver of red above the waterline, but below the Bootstripe. Looks way cool this way.

Bascially this with a slightly wider Bootstripe:

Du_Vernet_1.jpg

TAV MAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What I ment is if you over lap the twq colors and you use tap. By painting the edge of the tape with the first color. you shouhld stop the second color from bleeding under the tape. Dose this make sense.

drewpster

Commander

I used the 3M green fineline tape at the fine edge. Then I used the cheesy blue stuff to skirt it at the bottom just to prevent over-rolling the thinner fine line tape. Worked great! No bleeding under, and it cut the paint cleanly when I removed it.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

believe it or not, electrical tape makes a very crisp edge and forms well to curves.

reelfishin

Captain

I prefer the 3M fine line tape, it's never lifted paint and is easy to work with. Not super cheap though. Electrical tape will work but if left too long it may lift the paint, or if too warm it may leave glue behind. Its some sticky stuff too if the paint attacks the glue.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I used the 3M fine line. They had it at Autozone. I was confused as Home Desperate only carries the blue stuff. Thanks all . . .