Is this boat worth the effort?18ft. Starcraft....

Is this boat worth the effort?18ft. Starcraft....

• Ditch the boat and get a different one

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Spend the time/money required to fix it

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Use it as is, hoping the transom holds up

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Get another boat and work on this one on the side

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I purchased this boat just before the winter started. Not knowing much about boats here's what I bought (the price was right!). I also purchased an 85hp Johnson that I plan on putting on it instead of that 40hp that on it right now. The boat is a 1974 18ft. Starcraft, from the decals I'm seeing through the paint it is a Bill Dance edition. It is rated for up 120hp. After a few months of research and hanging around on iboats I realized that the transom might not be in the best condition (see the pictures). It has a crack and some sort of separation that is held by the black plastic sheet. It also had some bad hull repair. I like the way the boat is setup, it has plenty of storage and deck space. Now, do you guys think this boat is worth working on it, or will I spend too much time and too much money to fix it?
transom.jpg

Looking from the top you can see some fiberglass separation from the transom.
transom2.jpg

transom3.jpg

transom4.jpg

You can see how bad the paint job is on it. It looks like previous owner used a roller brush and wall paint to paint it.
transom5.jpg

transom6.jpg

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is this boat worth the effort?18ft. Starcraft....

Two more pictures:
transom7.jpg

transom8.jpg

I did have it on the water last in October and suprisingly that 40hp had that boat planing very well. The boat does feel extremely heavy, maybe it's just me because I'm used to the aluminum boat I have.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

looks like you are in need of a transom replacement. it may last one more season, my not. some one has definately add glass to the keel, probably from beaching the boat.

Attachments

• keel patch.jpg
    keel patch.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

I like it. Better sure up that transom for sure. Sounds like it may be waterlogged a bit being overly heavy eh? Reading the posts on here daily, we all know what that means..But i like that boat.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Wow! You must live really close to the ocean - look at all of that sea foam !!!! :eek: Nice boat. If you like the vessel and she'll serve your needs then some saved bucks and elbow grease will go a long way. Congrats on the purchase and do enjoy. :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sure looks like sea foam, what is it actually, never seen that much, native Floridian.

Jrock

Cadet

I'm not much help seeing that I'm novice as well, I shopped around w/ a tight budget lookin for a campin boat for the northwest. I made out ok I'm doing things here and there to it which is fun for me, "any excuse to hang out in the garage" is the way I see it. you said the price was right so you cant complain too much. these guys on this forum know there stuff, maybe your bigest worrk will be that transom. take care of that 1st and then just have fun w/ it. I love the space, your right its layed out just right... in my opion anyway. good luck.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ditto to jrock.

when its done it will be exactally what you want....

hdrazza just did one simmelar....illl find the post

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I'd take it on... though, I have to disagree with the earlier poster about doing the work yourself saving money... sure you can get 1 project done cheaper, but if you do it yourself, you'll think of three more things you want to do while you're doing that one thing... in the end it'll cost ya a lot more.

If you just pay someone to do it, you'll never have any appreciation for what it can be, and therefore won't try to turn it into the taj mahal on water. :D

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! You must live really close to the ocean - look at all of that sea foam !!!!
sure looks like sea foam, what is it actually, never seen that much, native Floridian.
Very funny, then again maybe you haven't seen snow yet :p. Weatherman reports more seafoam on the way :mad:.

That's an awesome transformation...

I'd take it on... though, I have to disagree with the earlier poster about doing the work yourself saving money... sure you can get 1 project done cheaper, but if you do it yourself, you'll think of three more things you want to do while you're doing that one thing... in the end it'll cost ya a lot more.

If you just pay someone to do it, you'll never have any appreciation for what it can be, and therefore won't try to turn it into the taj mahal on water. :D

I'll be doing all the work, I'm not much of a fiberglass guy but my skills should improve. Taj Mahal, I needed a good name for my boat :D.

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey, I'll take that motor off your hands....if you like.......LOL!

Patrick Skinnider
318 Carter Crescent
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
S7L 7K4

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, I'll take that motor off your hands....if you like.......LOL!

Patrick Skinnider
318 Carter Crescent
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
S7L 7K4

Eventually it will go up for sale (bad generator on it, well it doesn't have one right now).

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

My take on "is it worth it" is this: How many of us can say that any of the time or money we admit (or don't admit) to spending on our toys is a sound financial investment. Personally I worry more about whether or not it is worth it to me and whether I can afford it than I do whether it is worth the money or effort based on external standards. There are pretty much always cheaper or more cost effective ways to do some of the silly things I wind up doing with my "toys" , but I do them because I love "playing" with it as much as I do using it. I also truly enjoy the sense of satisfaction I get from taking something that would otherwise be destined for the scrap heap and making it "mine"... when I can afford the time, energy and money to do so. If you like the boat, and have visions for it, go for it and don't look back... Enough rambling, I think the parts sonicating in the kitchen are probably ready for some attention...

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I have decided to go with the crowd and fix it. I can't work on it yet due to weather but having extra time I've been shopping around for things I would like in the boat. I wanted some gauges and switches so I purchased some. With a couple of modifications on the panel it should fit the console. The price was right, too. It would've cost me more just to buy the same gauges then it did for the whole panel shipped (it's brand new). Here's a picture of the panel I picked up. I know I have no use for the trim gauge, but it still justified the cost.
dash.jpg