Re: hull extension in progress with picks

im ssoooooo jelous mike ! :D

good for you !

Cptkid570

Ensign

Oops, a couple of questions for you:

- how are you going to put the gelcoat on? Does it get sprayed on or rolled on?

- You are obviously a boat restoration God, so I was wondering why you are paying someone else to install the wiring, paint, and engine??

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Oops, a couple of questions for you:

- how are you going to put the gelcoat on? Does it get sprayed on or rolled on?

I was wondering why you are paying someone else to install the wiring, paint, and engine??

heh heh heh, i aint no resto god.....just a guy that wanted a longer boat :D

the gellcoat will either be rolled and tipped, or there is a company here that will spray it for 75 an hour.....the difference, is a lot of sanding with rolling vs spraying. so im going to go the spray route....

as far as the paint, my buddie is one of the top auto restorers/painters.
so its nothing for him to do a little spray job on it.

as far as the elec.....toucan has been makin all my lights come on for 5 years....(at least)..he is retired german telecom .that has recently gone in to home contracting.......so, from my store to my new house (he had to fix all the electrical contractors mistakes).to all the stoves i made him fix :eek: .and hes the best.

my mechanic, dirk has been on that boat from when it was a old blue pile of patches with a bad 4 cylinder. and hes got my 6 cyl waiting to go in for testing.

Cptkid570

Ensign

So, basically, you have connections! haha Wish I had that! Then again, if I did, I'd probably have about 5 more boats...haha

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

a 6 cyl.? !!! man you should put a 454 in that bad boy oops!

redfury

Commander

a 6 cyl.? !!! man you should put a 454 in that bad boy oops!

The 6 is for testing...no point in putting in a bad *** motor if the boat only wants to turn to the left ;)

oops!, it's good to be jealous, cuz it's a two way street here :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok first of all......anyone that reads this and plans on watching the stanley cup finals tonight....join us on dockside chat .....sssshhh peng...thread....

had a great time with the guys.....was allmost like sitting in the living room with yall !

.....was on the boat tonight.....oops SR. joined in. i got a camera full of pics and no cord to upload !:eek:

we were having a problem with the poly fair......ondarvr suggested i contact the dealer and ask for "a different version".....(one that had a longer gell time) of the product.........

...teee he he......they actually told me to ask ondarvr if a different catylest (ddm 30) would work !!!!........(they know him )...(ondarvr does not deal with that company....they use a different distributor and they still asked me to ask him if the ddm 30 would work!!!!!)

so i used a different catylest....ddm 30....its a summer mix. (still mekp)...that allows the product to react slower when it comes to gelling......

we (4 of us total) tryed to screed the poly fair on....but it was setting up too fast for screeding.....so after a few buckets of tryal.....and pickin out the gelled peices, we dumped the screed and oops SR. pulled out the trowell and made the hull look like a hull in just minits.......

the plaining surface is allmost built up to spec....the strakes are starting to emerge.......(i wish i had that camera cord)

i did some more grinding after the poly fair cured, and was really impressed.

in fact i spent the last 1/2 hour caressing the hull......(like an auto body man)

i will do a full day on it tommorow.....and be home in time to join the guys in dockside chat for the game !

cheers
oops

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

**OFF TOPIC ALERT** (But it's OK since Oops said hockey.)

I hate to say it because I am not a Pittsburg fan, but after seeing how they "stole" the cup from the Wings the other night, I am kind of rooting for them, and would like to see it go 7 games. The Wings are a little too smug, and it was kind of cool to see them get shown up by the Pittsburg kids.

Of course I am still a little ticked that Coach Tort was fired from the Lightning yesterday and they want to replace him with the ESPN Mullet Boy. Hockey in Tampa is going to hell quickly with this "Saw" producer new owner calling the shots. Then again, they can't get any worse than they were this year.​

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I been reading this thread for a while now and must admit that this is one damned impressive project. I am amazed at the ammount of labor and time you have invested and am equally taken by the skill in which you approach it. Truly a one of a kind.

Just gotta ask though.. Wouldnt it have been cheaper to buy a new boat, lol. Or are you like me and sometimes get into a project just to prove you can do it successfully?

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto, Knot Waiting.

What is this? Watch sports when work is waiting to be done? You have a fan club here that is starving:D

Seriously, how long to the point of getting tha cap back on?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

**OFF TOPIC ALERT** (But it's OK since Oops said hockey.)

I hate to say it because I am not a Pittsburg fan, but after seeing how they "stole" the cup from the Wings the other night, I am kind of rooting for them, and would like to see it go 7 games. The Wings are a little too smug, and it was kind of cool to see them get shown up by the Pittsburg kids.

heh heh heh.....i was mentioning on another thread that canaidains go thru serious withdrawals when the cup gets handed out.....our whole past 8 months intensity just "stops"

im a whl fan......(major jounior)....17-20 year olds when the kids still wanna play.....fight hard for it....and have fun doing it !

as my NHL oilers are out.....it doesnt matter to me who wins......detroit looks soooo good.....and the pens have heart.......

i just wanna see it go to 7 games so we can all enjoy awesome hockey !

as far as tampas situation......vancouver is the same....they fired someone that had the wrong plan, and hired someone that doesnt have a clue !

:D :D

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

topic streamlining

Last edited:

stevenw00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just read all 31 pages.... at work. I think I'll probably get fired tomorrow, but then I'll have time to keep tabs on this resto!

Awesome job so far Oops.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Just gotta ask though.. Wouldnt it have been cheaper to buy a new boat, lol. Or are you like me and sometimes get into a project just to prove you can do it successfully?

thanks knot.....thems kind words.

i woulda just bought a new boat....the budget is 25k. but....

#1. i love this boat.
#2. all the other newer boats look the same
#3. i love this boat.
#4. the older boats are, imho, better built....(thicker hulls) than new
#5. i love this boat.
#6. if i built my own it would be the way i want it, not a pick from the list.
#7. i love this boat
#8. ect. ect. ect.....:D :D :D

plus im a stubborn mule....:eek:

Ditto, Knot Waiting.

What is this? Watch sports when work is waiting to be done? You have a fan club here that is starving:D

Seriously, how long to the point of getting tha cap back on?

i fit sports between the and the boat.......lol....every night i was working on it this winter..... i had the hockey game on the radio....maddening...cause i couldnt get any grinding done !

ok....uh ...let see....the cap.....1 day after the parts get here

toucan is wiring it.....we are going to buy a whole new wiring harness, back to front. so to have him hook it up....its a snap....and it should only take him a day or so after the parts get here.

the hull will possibly go in for gellcoat as soon as friday....
if they get it done friday night....(game 7 will be on saturday)....i can have it back at the shop and start working on the interior asap......after gellcoat....the cap has to be on asap, as it needs to be on to glass the deck in, and take the mesurements for the interior....as soon as thats done. deck glassed and a few other minor things......(mounting blowers...bilge, pumps. ect)....it will go straight to the mechanics and when its in there....ill make the interior....sun pad...and swim grid. each one of thoes items will take one day.

cheers guys

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hi OOPS!

I read you were dropping a little six in that baby, and my first thought was it really should be something packing little more surprise but on second thought ...

(((((this is the part were I am thinking, takes awhile sometimes)))))

... a little six like this, maybe converted to run on used ?French Fry? oil, might be a great way of beating the price of gas, and still scare the **** of your friends and enemies.

18-07.jpg

?The MAN D20 common-rain engine is a totally new design, 400hp six-cylinder model. The new TGA 10.5 litre powerplant delivers more torque than its predecessor with less cubic capacity, making it lighter on fuel. Made using light but extremely durable GSV (a graphite-treated magnesium) the D20 is less noisy and smoother running than its predecessor and is the only engine in its class to have no holes through the head gasket for oil and coolant flow. The head and block have individual feed for these purposes.?

Was just a thought. I have to rest now, thinking makes me tired. :D

Cheers,
Turtle

hey turtle......nice motor....!!!!.... i like the way you think !

the 4.3 6 cyl......is just temporary, its gettin a 383 stroker, 575 hp @ 6000 rpm next season..

@6000 rpm with a 26 pitch prop.....therotecial speed is around 100 mph.
i doubt ill see over 70, but its gotta be strong.
...so i want to test the hull with the 4.3 first. make sure it doesnt turn circles break in half and sink :D

i like the french fry oil thing......the fish might like it too !

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Too bad the french fry thing only works with diesel engines. You could whip back to the marina restaurant for a couple quick margaritas and some free fry oil then back to the Lake.:D

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay buddie , gel coat on friday ??? how long before he's done with the wiring??

Ps that was fun the last few games !!! cant wait till next season allready !!!!!!HAHAHEHE WE WON THE CUP !!! sorry just had to say that again !!! john

WizeOne

Commander

Hey oops! Quit flappin yer gums about sports and get on with da pics.:p

We Want Pictures. We don't get to see too many whales flipped on their backs for treatment.:eek:

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

topic streamlining

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

update comin soon.....(got a camera full !)

Status
Not open for further replies.