hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

What color will you be using for the gelcoat? Or will it be a surprise?

the base gellcoat color will be white......it will have a deep blue bottom..(paint) and half way up the sides

i really didnt want to remove the gellcoat. that stuff is still fantastic.....but there is a lot of farring, and the compound needs to adhere to the glass.

so this is also the unintentional gellcoat job......my painters gonna kill me....:eek:

redfury

Commander

Wow, I wasn't expecting that. So much for 20+ years of SeaRay Blue, eh? :D

Being busy at the shop is good though...gotta pay for the beast!

To which...this boat needs a name, and I'm thinking we should have some suggestions...even if you already have one for it. I think it'd be fun to see what everyone comes up with for a name....either boat name or the model of the boat, such as" Sea Ray ***** ".

My choice is Sea Ray Corposant 241 ( 241 meaning 24 feet, 1 or 0 depends on type of power...inboard or outboard. )

Name on the boat? Stretched Budget ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Stretched Budget....I love it. You'll need an iboats logo on there somewhere. I would love to witness the conversation you're going to have someday where someone asks how long your boat is and you reply 24'.........but it used to be 19'....wha wha WHAT???? :)

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

"MINE'S LONGER"

"STRETCHED OUT"
"WAS 19"
"CHOPPED"
"RE-DONE" or "REDONE"
"BETTER LONGER"
"SIZE MATTERS"

:redface:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

heh heh heh.....i love stretched budget.

ill give ya all a hint...........exxxtra :D

im going to ask i boats if i can use their logo......

i wanna put in small letters under the rub rail at the stern.....(about 3 ins tall)

......powered by iboats.com forums.....oops!

this forum has provided not only parts, but the insperation and the knolage to continue........lund even said it in his thread......"this forum gives you insperation to work on the proj"

oops!

Supreme Mariner

large update comin soon......coustomers keep coming in :eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok....man the last pics seem like so long ago.......

we'll get back to the keel in a bit.

as far as the farring goes......a trick that i was told to use was simple....

put some screws in the hull, and use wire to get the height of the build up and add farring compound to the height of the wire....

pickgroup42007.jpg

mechanics wire was used for this bit

pickgroup42012.jpg

the light isnt very good, but at the top you can see the wire streached from the mid hull (just foward of the approximate plaining surface.)

pickgroup42009.jpg

the farring compound im using is called poly fair......very light and strong

pickgroup42020.jpg

i was told by the rep to watch my cat ratios. he said, just like resin, a 1.5 to 2.5 window to be used at the magical 77 degree temp.

i waited till it cooled down in the evening and mixed my first gallon at 1.5
(using my hi-teck mixing tool)

pickgroup42016.jpg

i got less than one minit spread time...!....it kicked in the can, and gelled within seconds of the mix being complete !
the bucket was getting hot in my hand !

so i pitched that stuff out......im now able to work it. but im at a .07% ratio.
and you really gotta hurry !

pickgroup42015.jpg

all of the inital low spots were filled......

oops!

Supreme Mariner

so far....ive allmost used up a full bucket of the stuff.....(5 gallons) but i pitched out about 2 or 3 gallons

the proper way to applying it this thick, is to screed it on like concrete.....but that is a four man job. it could be done in minits. but im working alone, so im applying it like drywall mud....the process is slo.

ive now got five layers on it, and built the keel up an inch....(the mold flattened out in that area, giving me a hook.)

the idea here is just to fill the area, and get the plaining surface true. so i gob that stuff on

pickgroup42013.jpg

you can see in the middle left section of the picture where the poly fair started to gell when i was spreading it

pickgroup42014.jpg

all the ridges and high spots can be ground off in seconds with this stuff

after this area is relitively flat and true....ill wrap it with a 1708 layer of glass, than fine farr the glass, for the optimal smooth surface to gellcoat.

but as for now, ive run out of poly fair, so ive got to wait till monday to get more and finish the hull farring.

with the farring stopped for a day or two....i had some crazing issues on the hull in a few spots.........so out came the grinder again...:(

pickgroup42017.jpg

the crazing had gone right thru to the glass, so its going to need a layer of matt.

pickgroup42018.jpg

ill be working on the hull, taking out any problem areas, and scuffing the hull for re gellcoating. thats this weekends job, till i get more poly fair.

cheers
oops

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Check with Ken and see what the gel time is on the Poly Fair, they may have a longer version.

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

hey opps it looks great. i find it when i have been doing something for a long time i start to get sick of doing it. and hurry to finish it by doing fast just to get it done. and it looks sloppy.
but with you. you have alots of patience you are doing a great job. keep it up
im going to take my boat out tomorrow for the first time after putting the new floor in. im excited

redfury

Commander

mudding it like drywall...yuk. I don't suppose at this point it would matter much, but I'd think it'd gone faster if you had tried to screed it on yourself by making a mini form on the boat and done one side at a time. However, I can not by any stretch be critical of your work. I don't know if I'll have that level of dedication when I actually start tearing into the rebuilding process of my boat.

WizeOne

Commander

Not constructive, I know, but I hate polyester resin. Epoxy, aside from being more expensive and that polyesters do not stick to it, is so much more predictable.

Sorry oops, carry on!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow that stuff looks like a nightmare to work with. Actually your entire project looks like a nightmare to me. All that grinding and dust and grinding and dust UGH. And you actually seem to look forward to getting back to working on it! Amazing. Great work, keep it up.

Coors

Captain

Not constructive, I know, but I hate polyester resin. Epoxy, aside from being more expensive and that polyesters do not stick to it, is so much more predictable.

Sorry oops, carry on!

Yeah, so much easier. Sooo muuuuch easier. wink.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

actually red.....its really relaxing, (working on it) each day is one closer to the water.......

and guys......the mold flattend out with shrinkage in the extension (resin..either epoxy or poly shrinks when curing..due to the amount of layers put on..heat makes it shrink........it is severe).......that means the hull has a 1 inch hook in the keel........no epoxy would have prevented that........

farring is a natural part of extending a hull.

just a few more days.....and one layer of 1708 and a quick gellcoat job.....and hull done ! :)

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

It seems like a lot of added stuff just to level out the bottom. It seems like that stuff will just erode away from the water passing by it. Eventually wont that stuff just chip away and take any paint with it that you apply over top of it? I just am saying that i thought that if you were doing that its almost like applying a body filler and it does not work if it is thick. If it is thick like that i was understanding that it would be soft. Wont that just break away and chip away after a couple of outings? And wont the rollers of your trailer just dig into it like mud leaving the roller indents in the areas where that stuff is really thick?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

your quite rite drew....it is a filler.......a tough one. after all it is still fiberglass

after its filled. it will get a wrap of glass, then a gellcoat... it will be tough.

but we'll see buddy......if you see a gazillion ping pong balls floatin round the lake.......send help :D

redfury

Commander

relaxing yet labor intensive...I can understand it. I just hung the 4 sheets of sheetrock on my bedroom ceiling. rented a lift....absolutely worth the money. My brother came over and helped me out...turned out about as flawless as a hack sheetrock hanger could do ;) We replaced the lower control arms, rotors and brake pads on his Volvo today also, so a lot got accomplished, which is a great feeling, and one step closer to me getting the free time to start on my boat!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i spent some more time putzing on the boat last night......

just sanding and grinding......man....you guys should see the dust !

ill be getting the poly fair tonight.....so im back on it !

cheers
oops

redfury

Commander

And here I am putzing about in the lake in the little fishing scowl with the kids ( first time this year ). Had fun though...first time I took them out and they were both actually interested in fishing! Coulda been that they just wanted to spend some time with their Dad too, since his time seems to be :cough: preoccupied often.... :eek:

Man was that fun, and going with the whole family to see the new Indy flick...good day for me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.