hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

i'd lay off the corona... without a respirator the glass gives you enough of a buzz. Wether your laying new stuff or cutting old stuff, get a full face respirtator. I use a survivair, works well.

Now for the serious stuff.

Even with a serious stringer system for reinforcement, I see it as a bit dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised to see the transom snap of on the first whack of a wave. There's a bunch of reasons why. Have you read any books yet on fiberglass boat building?

capt jason......actually corona is a big part of the boat :D....(thats an inside joke....but youll get it in the spring).....i do have a few full faced resporators, and they are used all the time..... safety is paramount.

as far as the integrity concerns on the hull......yes ive read several books on glass boat construction....and spent hours talking to pros....
you don't do something like this without extencive research....4 months worth before the hull was cut
if you read up......i have been consulting with professional boat builders all the time....... in fact i now have one working on the project with me. he that has done many hull extensions for a professional west coast boat yard.....
after much investigation .....i found out extensions are done all the time on fiberglass boats in pro boatyards
the actual joints are now the strongest part of the hull...

but if you know something i don't... please feel free to enlighten me
cheers
oops

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I hope capt jason responds as im real interested in what he has to say. Im wondering why he thinks it will not work. If he knows something that we do not, i would like to hear it. I would be a little nervous on it the first couple times out but if you know what you are doing then you know! It is a verry good project in my opinion. I wonder now how you register this thing as now it is a whole different size then it was. And also oops, did you find your cable for your camera? Im interested in seeing as manny pics as you have! Im verry interested in this project. Are you going to extend the cap also? I would extend the cap the same way and re-install it and make it a open bow. Or, at this point you can make something new and make it a center console or whatever you want!! I just hope that the glass bonds to the old glass! i think it will be ok though. You seem to have done a lot of prep work. I would have supported it a little more though but thats just me. Like i said im really interested in seeing the pics of whatever you got. I might buy a project hull and do this if it works out for you. I just want to say that i have done it! Thanks for sharing though and good luck!!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey drew....... im sure cap will be on line in a bit'

i found the cable for the camera...so lots of updates coming for tommorow morning....three days worth.....you wont beleive how simple this is getting

as far as regestering........its a new hull....and treated as such......the boat will be an 08...(in canada).....

the cap will also be extended....the back end of the boat cut down an inch or two so the cap can follow the current line of the boat......i am extending the top back part to be a full engine cowling....(getting rid of the dog house)...the two jump seats will also be gone...and a full bench added in a u shape cross the back.....that will give me the storage we dont have in thoes old searays....lot of fiberglass fabbing.....im gonna experiment with hdrazzas cloth forming ideas...see if i can get it to work...

going to a hockey game tonight...then ill post the updates.
cheers
oops

Bondo

Staff member

you wont beleive how simple this is getting
:rolleyes:................................................................. :D

Ayuh,......... I'm Impressed,....... Wicked Good Job........

I've done Alot of Refits,.........

But never a Stretch like that............

Epoxy or Polyester,..??

oops!

Supreme Mariner

poly......

the manns used poly so i had to.....

wanted to go carbon fiber.....but i couldnt...unless i used epoxy...and i was repeatedly warned away from it

more up dates comin in a few hours

Robj

Lieutenant

I think Jason jumped the gun a little. How can you predict that it won't hold up when you have only seen the extension? There is a whole lot more work to go into this boat that will add strength and integrity to the hull, such as stringers, the deck, and the dreaded foam. Based on what OOPS has said in the past, the stringers will be significantly stronger than the originals. I think your approach is to over-engineer, which in my opinion is a good approach. Way to go, keep up the good work. Still looking for the opportunity to get over to Kelowna!!

Have a great day,

Rob.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

rob.....count on the fact that your welcome any time....

i would have been back there by know but the hiway was closed......

did i tell ya ...i missed the orgional avalanch by two hours? the cops closed the road just after they towed me up?

its open now....so im back down soon.......

ok here goes......it takes an hour a post....and i think theres three....sooo....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it was sunday night when i took these shots .......

at that time i was ready to glass.....almost....every surface needs to be rubbed by acitone......
picbroup10015.jpg

heres some picks of the glass....24 oz from vectorply...its a matt...cloth combo...thats stitched in several different directions.......

picbroup10002.jpg

picbroup10005.jpg

picbroup10004.jpg

picbroup10003.jpg

sunday all i had to do was a simple grinding..... a layup...and trace and cut the transom
first i needed to rough and scuff the last layer of glass......rough and scruff is a term i came up with as i layed in the hull.....arms sore from holding the grinder for hours.......
picbroup10015.jpg

this was such a simple step.....theres no way i could have messed it up...!
then murphy droped in for a visit....

Last edited:

jcsercsa

Captain

murphy where is murphy I dont see him ??? what you talking about OOOps????? john

oops!

Supreme Mariner

heh heh heh......sorry for the delay.....i had just finished 6 hrs on the boat and it was 3 am ish when i posted thoes........i fell asleep on the puter...:eek:

ok...more comin

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have several rolls of that material, I would have given you one if you had a way to get it across the boarder.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

after ruff and scuff-ing the previously glassed sections...out came the acetone

picbroup10016.jpg

i decided to lay in some extra mat in the keel and the interior of the chines

picbroup10017.jpg

while that glass was kicking......... the glass was cut for the next layup........it was all goin so smooth......

picbroup10020.jpg

even though with this glass i didnt have to....i decided to change up the direction i was glassing......i decided to go side to side, instead of fore and aft
this cloth is so thick it lays on like a blanket

picbroup10019.jpg

well i jumped in and got after it.....the first side went on real good......but there was a little problem i couldnt understand on the other side....

if you look closely you will see a horrible lay up....air all over in it,,,
because this is a hull layup......no air.....none is allowed.....0 tolerance....

picbroup10021.jpg

youll notice a crack like thing in the glass on the side......the air pocket was so big i cut the glass to get out the air

it didnt matter how much i worked it i couldnt get rid of the air.......i didnt understand what was going on till later......
this is the chine area

picbroup10022.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what had actually happened is the mould had dropped.....it had moved some how.......either the heat from glassing......my lack of reinforcement.....lots of variables.......

thats why i couldnt get the glass straight with no air or folds.....

i got on the phone and called for advice....dale, a salty dawg from the west coast who has done lots of extensions in a boat yard, came right over.....

we looked at the whole thing and decided the best thing to do was re cut the bottom chine area....and brace...lots of braces.

picbroup10026.jpg

we barced the sides more

picbroup10025.jpg

and the top

picbroup10024.jpg

to brace it, all we did was screw 2x4 s to the hull....so simple.....

picbroup10032.jpg

after the bracing was finished...we looked at the boat....checked the tell tale stringlines......that hull is bang on.......

the next step was to mix some gipe....(peanut butter)..fill in the chine areas we cut and re glass the chine.....

picbroup10030.jpg

in this pic you can see where i have started to grind out all the air bubbles from sundays horrible layup....

picbroup10027.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I have several rolls of that material, I would have given you one if you had a way to get it across the boarder.

i may yet need it.....:eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the next thing to do is prep the hull for the big layup......in order to do the lay up...there is a few spots where glass is prone to get air bubbles.....

so the whole area was ruff and scuffed again......(ruff and scuff. is a term i came up with after hanging on to a grinder for hours....working over every inch of the hull...roughing it up and scuffing any resin....just to prep it for glass...hence the term.... ruff and scuff)

it doesnt take long and youve got a boat full of dust again.....note the straight inner lines of the hull

picbroup10035.jpg

after that more cleaning with acetone...any time you add anything it must be clean.....gone thru a gallon of acetone allready

the areas that were prone to bubbles were then filled with opps sooper dooper peanut butter...(pat.pend)...:D a blend of glass bubbles and some choped strand....
i filled all the areas...

picbroup10037.jpg

the idea is to get the floor totally smooth....no bumps or space for air to gather around.....once again ....as this is a hulll....no air can get into the glass....or it all has to be ground down

picbroup10036.jpg

the next big lay up is today or tommorow.......so the inside of the extension is allmost done.....

this is a pic of the whole hull at 23.8 feet and a 7 foot beam......its quite a canoe.......

picbroup10018.jpg

more up dates coming soon

salty87

Commander

every time i wonder what in the heck i've gotten myself into i stop and wonder what in the world you're drinking, oops....maybe you're just snorting away at the fumes.

23.8 is almost exactly what i'm working on, wishing it was smaller.

there's a song that's close enough....oops, there it is

oops!

Supreme Mariner

tee hee hee.....

last night i had my face in the glass for 6 hours....grinding....mixing.....

i can still smell the fumes......

gotta change thoes cartridges....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

23.8 is almost exactly what i'm working on, wishing it was smaller.

i can show ya where and how to cut it :D:D:eek::D:D

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep it comming Oops, This is even better than Ringleaders Mako on THT...Go iboats.

I admire the work, and envy your workspace!

jcsercsa

Captain

yea what he said !!!! I want that garage too , it must be in the air up there !!!!!!!!!! lol what are you going to do after this one is done ?? the Queen Mary ????? lol John

Status
Not open for further replies.