Re: hull extension in progress with picks

hmmmmmm

physics work differently in your garage........:eek: :D:D

Robj

Lieutenant

hmm... still cold... and it doesn't harden for a couple hours, though it begins to get a little jelly like within about 10 mins. But still no heat.

I re-did it with about 1/8th bottle of hardener (in about 1/4 cup resin), and I still couldn't tell if the warmth was from the resin hardening, or just from my hands warming it up. This time it was solid jelly within 2 mins, and solid within 1/2 an hour. But still it was barely above luke-warm.

Use 1 cup of resin and then dump in some hardener. Guaranteed to get hot. Could be that because you are using such a small amount of resin the heat is being dissipated quickly and you cannot really feel it.

Have a great day,

Rob.

jcsercsa

Captain

OOOOHHHHH MAN you be carefully , I want too see her float ...... john ps go get some sleep

oops!

Supreme Mariner

got another layer of glass on last night......

when fiberglassing with heayy product....make sure you cut it off the roll right before you use it.....

id cut a few layers the other day and had them hanging on the boat ...ready to go in......

what i found is the weight of the cloth pulls the fabric out of shape after a while.....a good layup is very hard on the edges.....

ok...its busy season at my store.....im doing a lot of road trips and out of town weekend sales......that takes away my time from the boat.....the project seems to be slowing down.......

one of the major time problems im having is ....room....!
ill lay up one side....then the other.....then do the keel. however i cant step on wet resin....so in order to do the center section the sides have to be fully kicked......and im using a slow cure due to the larg sized pecies of cloth.....so that is taking a long time....the wait game...

when i get back.....im going to re adjust my schedule ....illl go in early in the morning and lay a layer....then come back in at night and lay another layer.... hopefully that will get me back on track.......

the hull is feeling very solid right now....just a little softer then the origional hull.....after this next layer is done...it will be as solid....then add a few more layers for good measure.....then some matt in between for keel thickness...and its transom and stringers time.....

off to work i go....

cheers
oops

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can do more than one layer at a time, it will make it go much faster.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Any new updates? I want to see what ends up happening.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey drew..i kinda stopped taking picks of fiberglass drying.....it was looking boring.....might take the camera tonight and take a few picks of the length of the next layup....

i had to go on a weekend road trip...business

because of the trip i wasnt able to get a full weekends work on it.....but i got back in town at 730 last night and was working on the boat by 8 pm. I got another layup finished. it took me till midnight.

the hull feels really strong...and i can no longer feel the difference at the joint between the old and the new section.......in the middle of the new section....the hull feels stronger under foot than the old.

the extension section is allmost done. ...5 layers of 28 oz bi-ax with a few layers of matt i between just for good measure.......

i have two more big layers to do....this one.....24 inches past the farthest layup...and up the transom wall....

the next 3 feet past the farthest layup and all the way up the newly installed transom....

the first of the two layups is a total of 12 feet of glass layup x 50 inches wide....
and ill do that 3 times ....once on each side and one in the keel/bilge..

im also gonna beef up the bilge a little more...
it got ground down pretty thin removing that black stuff...(flo coat).....

after that the transom goes in and the stringers and engine bed next....

then the mould will be removed...and the faring will begin.......i hope to be done the transom and strings by this weekend.....its a really high goal...... but i' ve got to get this back on the time schedule.

i went back to the upholstery shop on thursday.....they now tell me they need a month to finish the job....down from their previous estimate of week and a half.......i told them id give them 2 weeks...max.

ok ...gotta get to work .....then back on it tonight.

btw drew....how you doin on the open bow conversion?... were you able to get the share a proj updated?

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

just a few up dates for you.....the extension is allmost finished.....but the project is behind schedule.......

when looking at other posts for ideas, hdrazza, did a fantastic job on a console.....it was fabbed from scratch......i loved the flowing lines....
this is a link to his console picks

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=230922

so i decided, one of the things i wanted to do was up date the dashboard.

this is my current configureation

picgroup4030.jpg

i had planned on fabricating a plug out of expanded foam....painting the plug...then.....placing a release agent on the plug......then glass the plug....after drying...pull the plug.....

that would have given me a perfect mould for the new dash.....add release agent to the mould....apply a white gellcoat to the inside of the mould and glass it when it tacks.....that would have given me a perfect dash board..........

the problem is that i am not a sculpter....the plug must be a hand made exact replica of the new dash......i could try.....and i might have done ok.....or it might have looked like a bubba job......

when i was talking to the glass rep....(getting my 4th and 5th 5 gallon cans or resin. :eek:) i jokingly asked him if he knew a sculpter....he said there is a guy in town that is a sculpter...hes retired and just does it for fun....hes done most of the pro sculptures in the okanagan where i live and the guy is also a major fiberglass expert........
i phoned him last night...we talked for an hour...im meeting him today...im gonna farm out the dash section...that will take a week off my work....
ill let you know how it goes.......

this is how the exptension phase is doing up to now.....its really strong....you can feel the strength under foot

picgroup13001.jpg

im continuing to do layups. a few more layers of glass were added....this section is 91 inches long.

picgroup13002.jpg

this lay up was repeted for the other side and keel section.

if you look very closly at the front end of this peice of glass, you can see the distance between the overlap.....this is the last lay up before the two really long ones

ive still got a few more layers to do in the keel and bilge...im hoping to have them done today and tommorow......

more updates comin soon

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i just realized im over my 200 picks in photo bucket....some of the picks have been erased so...igv got to repair the site....ive gotta go to work so ill do it tonight with more updates

redfury

Commander

You could try using the google version of photobucket, they have a decent storage size and you can use Picasa to upload the photos right from the program...it's pretty slick.

The extension is looking awesome though! I certainly admire your drive and ambition. I really just need to start acquiring some supplies for summer so I'll have a reason to get to work.

Ataraxia

Cadet

This project totally blows me away! opps!, that entire extension looks like it will exceed the strength of the original hull. Once the stringers and floor are glassed in, this thing is going to be SOLID! From the looks of how this is coming along, I would have no trust issues taking this boat in rough waters. You would have a hard time breaking it even if you wanted too.

I have learned allot from your project so far. Now I know how I'm going to extend the transom on my boat using your method. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with the pace of your project, but as soon as my engine/drive and and flooring is in, she's gonna to hit the water for testing, asap. Even if I have to use a milk crate for a seat (again :D)

jcsercsa

Captain

OHH man OOOPS you put the rest of use to shame !!!! MAn that really looks great !!!! Keep up the good work !!! man you are going to bet use in the water !!! John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

You could try using the google version of photobucket, they have a decent storage size and you can use Picasa to upload the photos right from the program...it's pretty slick.

The extension is looking awesome though! I certainly admire your drive and ambition. I really just need to start acquiring some supplies for summer so I'll have a reason to get to work.

thanks for the tip.....i just worked on the post for 3 hours tring to get it back in shape...hope the picks are all the same size...:eek: :eek:

as far as the supplies go......i cant remember off hand what your doing....(sorry...its allmost 5 am here and im still stoned on glass fumes...)

but get plywood first....so it can dry.....but a little bit of supplies at a time...and your wallett wont know what your doing...:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ataraxia......

ok...u me and john...(jcsercsa) and sarg
will climb in when its done for a few ....wave jumps....:eek:

i ran into a salty ol dawg tonight......he was saying that the transom should have some sponsons hanging off the back end...approx 2-3 feet behind the out drive....kinda like an inflateable......he said the sponsons would create bouancy behind the prop...thus the prop would not "dig" the water and raise the bow on quick accellerations from a dead stop.....swore it would give amother 5 mph top end.....and an instant plane on start.

some newer hull designs "kinda" have that feature....if i ever do this again...i might try it.....but then why do it again.......might be time for somthing new next time.....:eek:

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

actually sarg....i did jump on it tonight.....tee hee...!

i had no thoughts of redoing the dash till i saw hdrazzas setup....it inspired me.....thoes lines.......looks like a sleek, classy job....it will set me behind a week or so...as the sculpter i talked to cant do it....but he told me how to do it.....exactally as i thought.... i might even try a short cut.......but either way....im gonna be a sculpter....:eek:

more picks comin.......

cheers guys
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

last night was a good night on the boat.....a job ive been foolishly putting off
....is the cutting of a new transom and stringers.....

so it was time to get the transom done at least........

two peices of 3/4 inch pressure treated ply wood was used

picgroup14002.jpg

since im adding a few more layers of glass....i left a little space around the hull/transom joint

picgroup14001.jpg

depending on the time factor today.......i might build the transom.....
our local hockey team is playing again tonight so i gotta go to the game instead of work on the boat. but i might get one last lay up in.....i dont know....ill see when i get there......

in this pic
you can allready see the thickness of the hull at the extenson section, and the differnce in overlap between the previous layer and this one

picgroup14003.jpg

these layups are really large sections...and the cloth is so thick that to wet it out im using all my pressure on the roller...onadrvr suggested to do more that one layer at a time...in the corner sections thats really tough cause of the zero tollerance for air bubbles.....last night i did a double layup on the keel section....

i worked so hard on the section rolling it out and wetting it i was totally soaked after this lauyup, and my hands are blistered

picgroup14004.jpg

today i will be cutting the rough peices for the stringers........
a bunch of strips of pressure treated ply wood......the largest is 12 inches wide by 8 feet long.....i will then glass laminate them togeather....just like the transom.
when i have acheaved the legnth i want...and after the final layers of glass..i will scribe the pattern on to the sections of stringers and cut out the hull shape........

but thats for another day....

cheers
oops

jcsercsa

Captain

looking good there OOOPS man is it looking good You are really moving !!! Hay what is your hockey team there?? We got the flint Generals here, less then two miles from me and the we have a team in saginaw , saginaw sprit !! there are 25 mile !!! Then we have the best team RED WINGS !!! lol love my wings !!!!!! John

Status
Not open for further replies.