Re: hull extension in progress with picks

topic streamlining

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

OOPS, just think of the day when you can quit sanding.

that day is just around the corner turtle

I made the mistake of throwing some of my stuff in the laundry with the rest of the clothes, we itched for weeks.

My girlfriend thought she had gotten some kind of weird allergic reaction to the washing detergent and bought three or four new boxes and new softener of different kinds before the itching finally went away.

I'll wait a couple of years for the perfect night, and after a couple of beverages, to tell her what really happened.

It was in her bra's and panties! :rolleyes:

God I hate sanding.

i was careful with my clothes.....one day my girl washed them with hers......she thought she was doing me a favor....

i didnt say anything at all.....the whole house was itching....i kept my mouth shut....(even the tennant downstairs) i ran a few loads of empty water thru the machine....it took a week to get the dust out.........then she did it again......

i finally told her .......the dog house wasnt bad to sleep in......it was the freshly washed blanket that was the pain !

sanding has been the longest ...worst....lousy....disheartining part of the whole project.....but now its allmost over

redfury

Commander

You should have saved all that dust and sold it by the pail as a part of

OOPS! Brand Peanut Butter filler! Just add to your favorite resins and watch them turn peanut buttery smooth! Chunky and not so chunky varieties available too! Limited supply, act now!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the plaining surface of the hull is done !

picgroup57001.jpg

i just have a few spots to hand sand....about 15 mins worth....and it is finished....

picgroup57002.jpg

this area was a little low.....so i added another skin coat. using my sander buffer with my new 3 inch thick foam sanding pad and 40 grit.....i took it down in seconds....the final was done with a few swipes of a long board.
then a polish with 120 grit on a palm sander....

picgroup57003.jpg

the real kicker is.....that its not just good enough......its done.....straight....flat....smooth.......im still gonna use ondarvrs tricks of fairing with gellcoat to fill any imperfections....but its done......the hull feels as good as the new boats in the yard out front......

tommorow....ill jack up the boat and do the sides......ive been picking away at the sides all the while, so i really dont see them being a problem....as they are mostly origional hull except for the extension section....there is two problematic areas in the extension section side walls....but fixing them will be a snap....approx an hour each.....

cheers
oops

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So oops, if before you began all this you had known how much hard work it would be and how long it would take, would you still have done it?

...start this post thread, I mean. Boat's looking good, by the way :D

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay buddie so glad to hear that !!! Still going to beat yea in the water !!! : }------ lol great job man she really does look great !!! John

PS and thanks for all the help on mine !!! couldnt have done it with out yea man !!!!!!!! john

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Wow.

Getting close to the magic 50,000 views.

Don't you get a free boat from iBoats for that?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

So oops, if before you began all this you had known how much hard work it would be and how long it would take, would you still have done it?

...start this post thread, I mean. Boat's looking good, by the way :D

thats areally good question...one ive asked myself....(what the heck am i doing? :eek) :. looking back....id do a hull ext again....and next time id try a step or two. the fairing was the worst...as i really didnt know how to do it...it was allways ondarvr that dropped by and knocked the little detailes outta my head....the stupid things we all overthink and it gets us stuck....
once he screwedy head back on after it was up my *****.....it went really fast.
knowing what and how to do it......id do another....in way less time....

as far as starting this post....i tru;ly believe....if i hadent found this site...i never would have finished it...it has allways been your guys encouragement that kept me goin. i allwasy had the feeling that if i didnt post here on progress...i would let you guys down.....and after everybody calling me crazy
when i first asked about doing an extension. finishing it was manditory.

Hay buddie so glad to hear that !!! Still going to beat yea in the water !!! : }------ lol great job man she really does look great !!!

PS and thanks for all the help on mine !!! couldnt have done it with out yea man !!!!!!!! john
......my only wish all the time you were goin the tri was that i could have showed up wearing a tyvec/goggles /mask....carrying a grinder and a case of corona......knock on your door and say...."can johnny come out and play? :D

John......i know ive said this before....but the gellcoat is scheduled for tuesday.....that means after its done....it gets sanded and rolled.....then the motor mounts go in....the cap goes on...and it goes to the mechanics to have the motor and drive installed......the water tryals will be soon !

Wow.

Getting close to the magic 50,000 views.

Don't you get a free boat from iBoats for that?

.....at least a free coffie mug :D.... or bruno or one of the mods can mail me a signed trophy......"the rotten transom award" :D a chunk of rotten plywood with the mods signatures.....:D

Robj

Lieutenant

Hey Bud,

I still think you are nuts for taking on such a large project. I too would have liked to help you out, not so much on the sanding part, but the non-itchy work. Unfortunately time up there is scarce with all the family stuff. Wife always manages to keep me busy. But still had a great time drinking your beer, and the lake water while you tried to get me up on the wakeboard. It was great fun and much appreciated. When are you coming down here? Make sure you give me some notice and will try to hook-up.

One thing that I learned during my project and I know Oops has as well is to remember to enjoy yourself, and not always work. When I did my project it took away alot of family time, which is not a good thing. Summer is too short to always be grinding glass. Put it all in perspective, take time to work on the boat, but also to have fun with your wife and family, even if you are boating in a Bayliner. Had to throw that one in. Maybe you can extend that one this winter??? LOL While my boat is not a Bayliner, it is identical to the one Oops has.

Thanx again Oops and Jojo as well. Hopefully the sanding will be done soon and the gelcoat on!!

Have a great day,

Rob.

fraannk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oops,

Thanks for answering my post about adding a ski locker when I redo my deck. I just finished going through your entire thread and feel stupid for asking the question now. It is my boat and I can do ANYTHING I want to it.

Frank

jcsercsa

Captain

......my only wish all the time you were goin the tri was that i could have showed up wearing a tyvec/goggles /mask....carrying a grinder and a case of corona......knock on your door and say...."can johnny come out and play? :D

John......i know ive said this before....but the gellcoat is scheduled for tuesday.....that means after its done....it gets sanded and rolled.....then the motor mounts go in....the cap goes on...and it goes to the mechanics to have the motor and drive installed......the water tryals will be soon !

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahahah
Wife and I both laught are a** off , and she said any time you show up we can go play !!!!!!!! hehehehahahah John

Ps how your buddie doing the wiring?? and to cool , wish I was the for the trails !!!! John

tkmichael11

Seaman Apprentice

OMG!!! I just spent the last two hours reading this thread from beginning to end. I can't wait to see more pics! Definitely one of your fans, Oooops!

cribber

Lieutenant

Oops can't wait to see ya on the water!!! Think you'll make it out there before the season closes. Good Luck Dude!!!

83ProLine

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This thread has an insane amount of information, and is well worth the read. The pictures of each stage are priceless.

I can only hope that I will be as diligent in my efforts and get as far as Oops has.

Regards,

James

redfury

Commander

Remember, pics won't do it justice, we need VIDEO when that sucker fires up for the first time ON THE WATER ;)

Got a christening date in mind yet? Should be pretty easy to say mid Sept at the very latest...I'd be willing to bet the gel coat gets on and we see this thing with a finished top on it in less than 2 weeks though.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Ps how your buddie doing the wiring?? and to cool , wish I was the for the trails !!!! John

toucan is allmost finished the wiring.......and his wife wants it outta her yard..:eek:..so it should be ready this weekend

Got a christening date in mind yet? Should be pretty easy to say mid Sept at the very latest...I'd be willing to bet the gel coat gets on and we see this thing with a finished top on it in less than 2 weeks though.

good question fury......im kinda confused about that.....do you christen and have the naming ceremony when it is finished in all its glory.....or do you do it when it first hits the water....:ie water tryals....?

the cap will be on for water tryals but it wont even be faired out or painted....the interior wont be in.....i mjust gonna take it out and see if the hull reacts the way it should or if it turns circles? then im gonna yank it outta the water and finish it this winter....(fabricate a total new dashboard and bench seats outta fiberglass....ect ?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Seems to me that christening should take place on the first launch.

My Mom christened the same ship twice. Once in 1943 when she was first built, and again in 1951 when she was taken out of mothballs and refurbished. Both times it was on the first launch.

The ship was the USS Braine, DD630, named for her grandfather. He was a hero in the Civil War.

Attachments

• Braine.jpg
    Braine.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0

redfury

Commander

Well, then it's settled. Knock that champagne bottle against the hull when she's sent off the trailer into the water for the sea trials. I mean, technically she's a boat again at that point....even if it sinks. :eek::p

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Opps, a quick question? How do you plan to register the "new" boat? Homeade 2008 or...?

yep it will be registerd as an 08 or 09.....om gonna see if i cant get away from the "homemade" handle

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i thought i took more pics than this......but another milestone was reached tonight......the sides are ready to be faired........i dont think they are going to be a problem with them as they are allmost done now.....

noklu came by to lend a hand.....he decided we needed to some more work on the plaining surface..........so for the next five hours....we hand sanded every inch of the plaining surface.........

sanded .....sanded....and more sanding.....any how....at about 1 am he thought it was good.....and what an improvement.....even tho it was done....a lot of little detail was taken care of

so then we jacked up the hull.

picgroup58001.jpg

we needed the hull higher so it will be easyer to fair it out.....rather than bending down with every longboard pass.....

picgroup58002.jpg

the big problem with the side hull....is two big bulges where the mold moved.....i ground them down so far there was only a thin skin of glass....

picgroup58003.jpg

they are in the same spot on each side of the hull

picgroup58004.jpg

just before we left i added three layers of glass behind the hull so i could grind it down farther.........

now there is three thick layers of 40 oz material (each layer) so it will be plenty thick to grind down, and still have super stregnth after its ground to the desired outer smoothness........

tommorow night, our local football team is going against there arch rivals.....so i wont get on the boat till after the game.....but i still want to get 3 or 4 hours on it tommrow night

cheers
oops

Status
Not open for further replies.