Commander
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

its lookin good oops

Labman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank's for the photo update, whew I really needed it! Thank's also for the info, just waiting to hear from Ondarvr.:D

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

You missed a spot

:)

Looking good. Doubt I can drop by this week as I have company but I still want to see this in real life.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

You missed a spot .................. where ?

where ? where ? :eek: :eek: :D

:)

Looking good. Doubt I can drop by this week as I have company but I still want to see this in real life.

im goin there right now if ya wanna drop by.....beer in the cooler !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

just got back from a gruling marathon at the boat........

the hull. was just about flat.......my job today was to finish longboarding one side of the plaining surface. and add fairing compound the other. then long board that.

this is the side i was to add the compound to....the other needed to be longboarded.

picgroup56001.jpg

i was feeling great...as it was getting close to be finished !.....

i also put a layer of faring compound on the bow......(ive been consentrating on the plaining surface and ignoring the bow....the bow is old hull just glassed over with matt ....so its basically straight except for grinding troughs and glass fill....

picgroup56002.jpg

it looks wobbley but thats just the light on the fairring compound....it allmost smooth

picgroup56003.jpg

i long boarded till my arms allmost fell off......i got it as close to perfect as you can get......you could barly feel any difference in the hull over a 12 foot span....i was getting really excited about finishing the plaining surface.....

there was two small dips....about 1.5 sq feet....the string line said they were between 1/8th and a 16th of an inch dips.....it was going so well, i thought i would just add a thin skin coat to fill the area and it would be perfect !

i skin coated it and started longboarding it......

picgroup56004.jpg

i still havent figgured out what happened....but the more i boarded it....the worse it got ! the hull where i didnt even touch was off !....it was just stupid....i must have had somthing under the string on the first looks because its way out again....up to an 8th of an inch......

so i got out the big tools....and went for it

picgroup56005.jpg

i really feel that it kicked my butt tonight......but im going to go back in the morning and put in a full day, so i really hope to have it beat....

3 people have told me to gell it now...they say its good enough....i called my buddy who is an auto body pro....hes coming tommorow to look at it and tell me if im being anal about this hull......

ondarvr is scheduled for a trip up here soon...:)..so if i get his ok to gell it i will,
but untill he or my buddy says its done....the sanding continues

cheers
oops

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I'll be up there late this afternoon, see ya then.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

drive safe bud...lotta yahoos on the road....its gonna be hot so ill have a few cold ones on ice when you get here

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Going to Dawatt for dinner so might try your shop after to see if you are there.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Jeepers, Look at the dust!:eek: I get itchy just staring at the pics.:D

Did you move the supports holding the boat up? That might cause the hull to flex a little and creat a "dip" where there is not one.

redfury

Commander

And the project comes to a screeching halt as oops! discovers after a marathon session of sanding that all he has left of the hull is the transom and a pile of glittering dust :eek::D

Hey, it looks great from my house! I say to be off as little as a 1/16th of an inch is only going to be noticed by you and no one else. It's the sides of that extension and the cap that I'd be the most anal about as that's the area everyone is going to be looking at up close and personal to see where you did the stretch.:cool:

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re:  北京复员军人管道疏通服务部

topic streamlining

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Going to Dawatt for dinner so might try your shop after to see if you are there.

we were all there between 8 and 10 30.......and whats dawatt? i havent heard of it........rvr likes joeys only.....the view is....well.....spectacular :D

Jeepers, Look at the dust!:eek: I get itchy just staring at the pics.

Did you move the supports holding the boat up? That might cause the hull to flex a little and creat a "dip" where there is not one.

the srtingers are in....and glassed, so i dont think it will have a dip in the center of the hull....dut if it does....then ill have rock when i roll the hull.

as far as the dust....about 15 big garbage cans full from start to finish.....4 alone in faring and removing the gell coat.

And the project comes to a screeching halt as oops! discovers after a marathon session of sanding that all he has left of the hull is the transom and a pile of glittering dust :eek::D.....

ooohhh man.......you dont know how close this is to being truth...:eek:

Hey, it looks great from my house! I say to be off as little as a 1/16th of an inch is only going to be noticed by you and no one else. It's the sides of that extension and the cap that I'd be the most anal about as that's the area everyone is going to be looking at up close and personal to see where you did the stretch.:cool:

rvr says its straighter than just about any hull coming from the mold.

update comin !

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

we were all there between 8 and 10 30.......and whats dawatt? i havent heard of it........rvr likes joeys only.....the view is....well.....spectacular :D

Indian food. On Ellis.

Joeys and Cactus Club are both very good for their views. I just get tired of this strange woman who is usually with me kicking me all the time I'm there.

We came by around 7:30. Tried to go to Rosies but couldn't find anywhere to park so called it a night.

I'll see it one day I'm sure :)

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

SnappingTurtle, I read your post about 5 times and I'm still chuckling 10 mins later. That made my day.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Indian food. On Ellis.

Joeys and Cactus Club are both very good for their views. I just get tired of this strange woman who is usually with me kicking me all the time I'm there.

We came by around 7:30. Tried to go to Rosies but couldn't find anywhere to park so called it a night.

I'll see it one day I'm sure :)

i think we are seeing the same girl :eek: i still have the brusies from the last time i was at joeys with her.

man....you just missed us..:(....you probably passed ondarvr while he was waiting outside the lot.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

SnappingTurtle, I read your post about 5 times and I'm still chuckling 10 mins later. That made my day.

i missed the joke

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Hey OOPS! this guy want know if you have any Sewer Pipes or Septic Tanks on your boat he can come by and clean for you. :eek:

I was laughing simply because I've seen a few of these posts in different threads and I can't read them. (Not familiar with Japanese/Chinese character sets) however I'm gonna safely assume this guy wasn't asking if he could empty the sewer pipes or tanks on your boat.

I assumed it was SnappingTurtle poking fun with no other intent but I guess he'd have to say for sure.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

well......last night....i learned that the hull is straighter than most production boats......and ive been killing myself for over 3 weeks for nuthing :eek:

the plaining surface is ready to be gelled....and has been for some time.

i didnt know that expansion and contraction would play so much of a factor in the hull....thats why each day it was different...some days it was smooth...some days it wasnt.......

ondarvr came by..... noklu was there, and rvr told me how to fair the minor dips with gellcoat.......done.....

i kinda feel like a schmuck for doing all that unnessary work.......but this is my first time fairing anything....so you learn as you go ....its been a tough lesson. :(

today....in about an hour... ill be raising the boat....and starting on the sides.
i just wanna do a minor sanding on the other side to knock off any blade marks that are left from the last skin coat.......

now that i know a few more tricks....the project will fly......the water tryals look so much closer now....possibly with in 2 weeks.

the boat will be un finished for the tryals....but i have to know what the hull is gonna be like before i continue with the rest of the project......

the little bayliner ive got....(19 feet) while not a great boat .....does hafe some features i want to use on the big ray.....as well as some extra storage i want to build into the boat.......

another pic update comin tommorow......

cheers
oops

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

i think we are seeing the same girl :eek: i still have the brusies from the last time i was at joeys with her.

Better not be or you and I need to have a SERIOUS TALK!

man....you just missed us..:(....you probably passed ondarvr while he was waiting outside the lot.

Figures.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

topic streamlining

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.