Commander
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

OH S**T sorry ooops wasnt suppose to say that

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOL you meen i have to go back and read all 43 pages agian to find the clues i missed :eek::D

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

so is it going to look like this with out the sail

Attachments

• corona.jpg
    corona.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0

zach103

Commander

sort of .. itll look more like the corona box without all the boring stuff on it.. than like i said all the coronas inside

Renny_D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oops quick question, folks seem to get all up in arms on this forum about ever exceeding the manufacturers hp limit but it looks like once you are done and done testing you will definately be doing that. Just wondered how you felt about the whole adding more hp than the rating question and how you feel about it on your boat. I think with all the work you did that your hull will be a good bit stronger than the original but I'm curious. I for one am not fully against this. I have a lot of sailing friends with inflatables and almost all of them routinely go over the hp rating sometimes doubling it. My own little inflatable is rated for 10 hp and I have a 15 on it (though with it's age it's probably only about a 10 hp) and I've ridden on a few of the one's I've mentioned and they feel safe except maybe at their tops speeds but that was more about the passenger getting bounced out of the boat than any feeling of danger with the structure of the boat itself.

Can't wait for your next update...... I need my fix of my new D.O.C.

Renny

redfury

Commander

I think HP ratings are a basis of factoring the weight of the motor as a load on the boat as well as the ability of the transom to shoulder the thrust of said motor. I think oops! built a pretty darn near bullet proof transom/framework for the motor he plans to upgrade to, so I personally am not worried for him.

Heck, I've got a video tagged as a favorite on youtube of a 20ft glastron with a 600hp motor. they routinely gas it right out of the water, leaving only the outdrive in and then slamming the hull down onto the water.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

well i know the coast guard formula has to do with the dimensions of the boat as far as hp ratings and manufactures rating will be equal or a little less. due to the characteristics and strength of there particular hull. seems how his boat will be considered home made after he is done, it will be based on dimensions and thus being larger = higher hp rating. although i believe inboards typically don't have max hp ratings.

cribber

Lieutenant

Oops ~ I just finished reading all 43 pages on this thread and it took the best part of two days!!! :D

I'm completely impressed with what you've accomplished to date and here's a Corona for ya!!!
eatdrink055.gif

Can't wait to see what she looks like when you get the gelcoat down and thanks for schooling all us newbs!!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Well the boat is going to replicate a 12 pack of corona.. with coronas filling every avaliable space inside the craft.

and this will be somewhere http://farm1.static.flickr.com/198/485756476_a81219a44a.jpg?v=0

tee heee hee i wonder if that big bottle is full ! it wouldnt if john, mike, rob j, you and i found it!

instead of painting the boat or doing it in a theme....im just gonna duct tape empty bottles of corona all around it......im gonna cap off all the bottles with a wax sealant....that will be my flotation :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Oops quick question, folks seem to get all up in arms on this forum about ever exceeding the manufacturers hp limit but it looks like once you are done and done testing you will definately be doing that. Just wondered how you felt about the whole adding more hp than the rating question and how you feel about it on your boat. I think with all the work you did that your hull will be a good bit stronger than the original but I'm curious. I for one am not fully against this. I have a lot of sailing friends with inflatables and almost all of them routinely go over the hp rating sometimes doubling it. My own little inflatable is rated for 10 hp and I have a 15 on it (though with it's age it's probably only about a 10 hp) and I've ridden on a few of the one's I've mentioned and they feel safe except maybe at their tops speeds but that was more about the passenger getting bounced out of the boat than any feeling of danger with the structure of the boat itself.

Can't wait for your next update...... I need my fix of my new D.O.C.

Renny

exellent question.!
the uscg rules are made from legnth x beam.....this is for outboards.
for i/o's there is no max hp rating.....thats why you see little 17 foot flat bottom boats with a blown 454 and open headers in it.....

as far as safety goes....the hull will be water tested with a 4.3 v6. to determine if the project will continue......if the hull is unsafe, the proj will be scrapped....or repaired :mad:

the structural stregnth of this hull....is ....well.....unbeleveably strong....on the extension section (plaining surface) if you hit it with your hand...as hard as you can....it does not give and you really hurt your hand....(trust me....ive tryed it :D)....3 layers of 1708 are all that is required...i think there is now around 10. with some matt for good measure.

my biggest worry now...is weight...its a tank....if you hit the transom with your hip....you hurt yourself...and the boat on big castors...doesnt move !

again....good question

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Oops ~ I just finished reading all 43 pages on this thread and it took the best part of two days!!! :D

I'm completely impressed with what you've accomplished to date and here's a Corona for ya!!!
eatdrink055.gif

Can't wait to see what she looks like when you get the gelcoat down and thanks for schooling all us newbs!!!

thanks bud.....keep watching....more pain to come :eek: :eek: :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this is the pic that i tryed to post earlyer......

my girl saw this back east...

picgroup54001.jpg

its a beer store ! :D

jcsercsa

Captain

this is the pic that i tryed to post earlyer......

my girl saw this back east...

picgroup54001.jpg

its a beer store ! :D

hahahaha Now we Know why your allways at the store !!! LOL John
Ps hay did you see my next project ?? its under tread [help with a older crownline] John

zach103

Commander

tee heee hee i wonder if that big bottle is full ! it wouldnt if john, mike, rob j, you and i found it!

instead of painting the boat or doing it in a theme....im just gonna duct tape empty bottles of corona all around it......im gonna cap off all the bottles with a wax sealant....that will be my flotation :D

you should use some kind of clear tape so that you can see every bottle . you should have enough flotation if you do that

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok.....got a full day open....im gonna see how much damage i can do in 8 hours of sanding !

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay now I resemble that remark !!!!!! hahahah John [burp]

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay buddie look in my photobucket at mu latest boat !! man i need help !! mental help !!! lol john
transom005-2.jpg

OHH yea the black stuff is coon sh-t on her !!!! EEEKKK

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yep....yer getting mbs john....it happens !

nice find....and all good restos start with a whole lotta carp! :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i didnt get as much time on the boat as i wanted yesterday...i had relitives in town. i was just leaving for the boat when i got the call....so i only spent 3 hours on it last night......

but i got a lot done.....

picgroup55002.jpg

i borrowed a small palm sander to see if it would speed up the process....

this side of the hull plaining surface is allmost finished....i hope to be finished it today......the big question is.....when is good good enough?

ive long boarded it for hours....there is still slight wabbles over three or four feet.....you cant see them by eye.....but when you run your hand over the area very fast you can feel minor bumps......ive been told its ready...but i need a more experianced body person to tell me......gell coat does not self level like paint....so everything will be seen.

picgroup55003.jpg

the front of the hull still needs just a bit more sanding...but it is smooth.

picgroup55004.jpg

with any amount of luck....abd lots of sweat...ill be ready to go on to the next phase soon.....im sooooo sick of sanding

cheers
oops

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"...gell coat does not self level like paint..."

You aren't kidding. Get ready for a whole additional phase of fairing. You might want to reconsider a paint like Awlgrip or Perfection. Much easier and the results can be stunning.

I have enjoyed watching your project. Thanks for posting it. You are a greater man than I to be doing all of this work. Good luck with the remainder of the project.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.