Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

HOW TO TELL IF YOUR A BOAT-A-HOLIC

just a short story for yall.....this happened to me yesterday

yesterday morning i brought my bayliner to work....(i park it in the back alley so i can putz with it when its not busy).....

in between coustomers....i was in the b-liner trying to track down a faulty speedo, and other minor things........at about 3pm....kenny, my resin rep came to the store......we started talking about gellcoating the proj and other boat related things.... the delevery guys came in when we were talking........after he left.20 mins...i asked chez (the delevery driver) to keep an eye on the store when i was in the bayliner so i jumped in and got back to where i left off.......shawn floats called..(from iboats)...he came to town, so he gave me a call....(chez over heard the conversation).....it was good to finally talk to him...we made arrangements to meet....(i really want to see his big shiney new boat !)........i went back into the bayliner for a bit....just putzin........after a while, i sat down with the guys for a minit to chat....the phone rings.....some guy wants to see the bayliner...(its 4 sale)....so i ask the guys if they want to go for a boat ride for an hour or two...(we were previously talking about it)....that way....the guy on the phone can water test it...
so we pack up the store...i load the boat on the truck...check the connections and head out to the boat launch.....at the launch...there is a house boat tied to the dock that had partially sunk in last weeks high winds...(ill whip down there and get picks for dockside chat....its really bad)....well chez is a construction frame-er. so he started asking structural questions of what was happining with the badly listing boat.....its is literally held up by liening on the top of the pier posts.....so i described what happend to the pontoons to cause that bad of a list, and pointed out other structural things that had happened to it.
it was really too windy to go out but i knew i and the boat could handle it....so we launched and went to the calm side of the lake waiting to meet the guy for the water test..he remarked about how high the waves were and how smooth the ride was (i only got spray over the side a few times in 30 knot winds and bigger water) .....after we got to the calm area, i take chez and john water skiing....chez wants to learn the correct way to pick up a downed skier with out killing him....so i show him safetry procedures and what to do so its done safely...by this time....its 730 and the guy hasnt showed......chez asks me about the project.....he says....."whens it gonna be done" ...i say "as soon as you come grab a long board and start sanding" :eek:......so he asks when im gonna work on it next....i told him.... "i was on it till about 11 last night and im goin there right after we get off the water for a few hours......

thats when he flipped.......he recanted all he had just witnessed and heard today. and decided.......IM A BOAT-A-HOLIC ! :D

redfury

Commander

after im done the planing surface, i will be raising the boat 2 1/2 feet so its easer to get a long board on it (rather then bending down with each longboard stroke

Aw, admit it, you have to bend down because you keep getting taller...all that dust on the floor is lifting you up higher than the boat!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

aww mike...i just swept the floor a few weeks ago :D

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just checked princess auto for those long board sanders. They have them for $65.00. It's called a straight line sander #3408192 .Did you get you compressor back from that guy? If not get a couple guys from the sun and go get it.

Robj

Lieutenant

Hey Oops,

Looks like you are still at your same shop. Will stop by next week for a visit. Going there on Sunday. Hopefully you will have all the sanding done/

Take care and have a great day,

Rob.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hey Oops,

Looks like you are still at your same shop. Will stop by next week for a visit. Going there on Sunday. Hopefully you will have all the sanding done/

Take care and have a great day,

Rob.

love to have ya down for a visit !!!!! i hope the sanding is done too.....but if its not......ha ha ha....i got an extra long board !!!:D

(just kidding rob) ill have some bevies there (if mrs. j will ever let you come out to play again ! :eek:)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I just checked princess auto for those long board sanders. They have them for $65.00. It's called a straight line sander #3408192 .Did you get you compressor back from that guy? If not get a couple guys from the sun and go get it.

i lost track of herman again.....he was working on chezes site.....but he got fired before i could get out there and get it.....but ill see if brian adams knows where he is now......

randy from macaw autobody just opened up a full fleged paint booth somewhere in the area....i gotta get hold of him and see if he wants me to berak it in.....when u comin up?

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

How big do you need? My offer of my 5 hp still stands. It's one of the Home Depot units so I'm not sure it is up to the task, but if it is, more than welcome to it for a bit.

Been by 3 times now and not once have you been working on it. At least the door is always down.

It's a long drive from Rutland just to see if your there ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you have a pm coming........

and thanks for the compressor.....as i said...i just might take you up on that one.....

its hard to see the door cause of the toon in front......im goin to the store today for a wee bit...then to the boat....wanna go to kal and see shawn floats?

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Can't go to kal today. Got friends coming up from the coast and their buying the sushi. Might just take them out for a bit on the big lake tonight. Time will tell.

Oh. Forget that.

Bombers are playing tonight and Steagall is back in the lineup. I'm staying home and watching.

Gonna be a weekend of pulling pieces off my old boat as some guys are trying to buy them from me and it's a bit hard if I don't actually take them off.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i went out to kal to see shawn flaots tonight before the boat.....

he wasnt there....so i left him a cororna !

them went to get the new tools and went to the boat.......

uh.....this may not take very long....two applications of skin coat...and one surface was nearly done !(chine to strake ...starboard)

the only problem is ....the poly fair is spread so thin.....no exothermic heat can build up.....so curing takes a while.....45 mis to an hour before sanding.....but only a few minits when it is thick.....

but mannnnnnnn its smoooooth !

more tommorow !
cheers
oops

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Bombers are playing tonight and Steagall is back in the lineup. I'm staying home and watching.

[sarcasm] Well, that was worth staying home for. [/sarcasm]

Friggin team is playing worse than Hamilton.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

just talked to shawn floats........I MISSED A PIG ROAST !:(

i was at the wrong camp site....it was the one next to the one i was at..:mad: (20 feet away)

gonna try to catch up with him tonight before the football game.....(i sponsor some of the local players (okanagan sun) and its the home opener tonight. (sub university level))

was on the boat last night......(i thought i posted this last night after i got home at midnight......must been deraming)

GUYS>>>>>>i think i kicked its azz !.........i did the bottom plaining surface..(one section between the keel and the strake on the starboard side)
..just a skim coat.....twice......its smooth......really nice.....

the only problem is......the coats are so thin....that the exothermic heat does not build up enough to cure fast....it takes over 45 mins to cure hard enough to sand....so its slow going.......BUT>>>!!!!!!

that means the bottom of the hull will not be much of a problem....easy goins !!!

(i hope ;))

after the football game tonight ...i wanna go back and do some more for an hour or two......

even thow because of my current schedule....(i only get an hour or two on it every day or two.....its really hard to stop because of the progress......i wanna finally see the next step ! gellcoat !...then its sand....sand....sand....buff....wax :eek:

cheers
oops

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just had to tell you how mush i like this thread i check it every day keep up the good work

oops!

Supreme Mariner

just had to tell you how mush i like this thread i check it every day keep up the good work

thanks bud.....it has a ways more to go yet !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok.....here we go.....got more done on it tonight...(sunday)

this is where we left off !

the one side of the hull was faired (skin coated twice)

picgroup53010.jpg

it feels sooooo smooth !

picgroup53011.jpg

my plan is not to stop fairing till i think its perfect.....

so i had to sand it all down with the long board and then clean, vaccume and aceitone the hull

picgroup53012.jpg

i decided to start the other side ...as it takes so long for the fairing compound to harden enough to sand......so more aceitone

picgroup53014.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

at this stage the fairing process is simple....kinda like drywalling....

im using a 16 inch blade. and very little fairing compound....this little bit will skin coat over 50 sq feet.....

picgroup53016.jpg

at about 45 degrees on the blade you but a layer of compound on....making sure every inch is covered and pressed into the hull

picgroup53018.jpg

the idea here is to fill any minor depressions or un even edges left by the glass

then you hold the blade just shy of 90 deg.....and take it all off.....lots of pressure on the blade here

picgroup53019.jpg

dont kid your self....im really pushing hard on the blade here

picgroup53020.jpg

note the amount of compound left behind the blade.....not much at all.....

picgroup53021.jpg

that was after the whole side was done......this is the first of three or four coats.......this coat will be long boarded with 50 grit....then 120 grit...then another layer will be added

the fairing compound wont build much exothermic heat when its spread this thin....so you have to use a tad more catylist.....but you cant go over the mannufacturers specs......that means..... in a hot mix....and big gobs on the blade of the knife...its curing ! your working time is less than 5 minits....so you work really fast...if any part cures....it will leave a chunk on the edge of the blade...and drag marks in the hull.....that means a depression...uneven fairing ,,,,and lots of sanding......so you work fast !

ill have some more updates tommorow....

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

rob j is supposed to be in town today.....so im gonna go boating for an hour or two and wait for his call then off to the shop for some more sanding and fairing.......

btw.....i saw a cool trick to get a deck under a walkthru partition....this guy pulled the deck.....in less than 2 hrs and is just about to put another one in...really qiuck job.

Renny_D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have been reading this thread and it's amazing what you are doing. All of my previous fiberglassing was on sailboats and nothing this extensive. I'm learning alot. One question - with as much work as your doing on this it almost seems a pity to throw the little v6 on it. With all the gurus you've had helping you and all the attention to detail you've paid to this I can't see how you would have issues. Lastly will you be adding any sort of foam under the floor in between the stringers? Is there any foam that once exposed to any water will not become a sponge? Thanks again. I read the whole thread in two days - my wife kept asking me what the heck I was doing being so mesmerized - I told her I'd found the best reality show so far :)

Thanks
Renny

zach103

Commander

lets play.. how many corona cases oops has in the shop.. i found 4

Status
Not open for further replies.