This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: hull extension in progress with picks

mudding it like drywall...yuk. I don't suppose at this point it would matter much, but I'd think it'd gone faster if you had tried to screed it on yourself by making a mini form on the boat and done one side at a time. However, I can not by any stretch be critical of your work. I don't know if I'll have that level of dedication when I actually start tearing into the rebuilding process of my boat.
    my thread here,My Shareproject page,Part 1,Part 2,Part 3,Part 4
    Official Tri Hull Club thread

Comment

Not constructive, I know, but I hate polyester resin. Epoxy, aside from being more expensive and that polyesters do not stick to it, is so much more predictable.

Sorry oops, carry on!
      For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.-2 Timothy 4:3-4:

Comment

Wow that stuff looks like a nightmare to work with. Actually your entire project looks like a nightmare to me. All that grinding and dust and grinding and dust UGH. And you actually seem to look forward to getting back to working on it! Amazing. Great work, keep it up.
        2002 20' Hydra-Sports 202DC 200HP Yamaha HPDI
        1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
        Restoration thread https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767

Comment

Originally posted by WizeOne View Post
          Not constructive, I know, but I hate polyester resin. Epoxy, aside from being more expensive and that polyesters do not stick to it, is so much more predictable.

Sorry oops, carry on!
          Yeah, so much easier. Sooo muuuuch easier. wink.

Comment

actually red.....its really relaxing, (working on it) each day is one closer to the water.......

and guys......the mold flattend out with shrinkage in the extension (resin..either epoxy or poly shrinks when curing..due to the amount of layers put on..heat makes it shrink........it is severe).......that means the hull has a 1 inch hook in the keel........no epoxy would have prevented that........

farring is a natural part of extending a hull.

just a few more days.....and one layer of 1708 and a quick gellcoat job.....and hull done !
            The Hull Extension Thread
            great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
            November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

It seems like a lot of added stuff just to level out the bottom. It seems like that stuff will just erode away from the water passing by it. Eventually wont that stuff just chip away and take any paint with it that you apply over top of it? I just am saying that i thought that if you were doing that its almost like applying a body filler and it does not work if it is thick. If it is thick like that i was understanding that it would be soft. Wont that just break away and chip away after a couple of outings? And wont the rollers of your trailer just dig into it like mud leaving the roller indents in the areas where that stuff is really thick?
              http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x...h44/?start=all

Comment

your quite rite drew....it is a filler.......a tough one. after all it is still fiberglass

after its filled. it will get a wrap of glass, then a gellcoat... it will be tough.

but we'll see buddy......if you see a gazillion ping pong balls floatin round the lake.......send help

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

relaxing yet labor intensive...I can understand it. I just hung the 4 sheets of sheetrock on my bedroom ceiling. rented a lift....absolutely worth the money. My brother came over and helped me out...turned out about as flawless as a hack sheetrock hanger could do We replaced the lower control arms, rotors and brake pads on his Volvo today also, so a lot got accomplished, which is a great feeling, and one step closer to me getting the free time to start on my boat!

Comment

i spent some more time putzing on the boat last night......

just sanding and grinding......man....you guys should see the dust !

ill be getting the poly fair tonight.....so im back on it !

cheers
                    oops

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

And here I am putzing about in the lake in the little fishing scowl with the kids ( first time this year ). Had fun though...first time I took them out and they were both actually interested in fishing! Coulda been that they just wanted to spend some time with their Dad too, since his time seems to be :cough: preoccupied often....

Man was that fun, and going with the whole family to see the new Indy flick...good day for me

Comment

im ssoooooo jelous mike !

good for you !

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Oops, a couple of questions for you:

- how are you going to put the gelcoat on? Does it get sprayed on or rolled on?

- You are obviously a boat restoration God, so I was wondering why you are paying someone else to install the wiring, paint, and engine??

Comment

Originally posted by Cptkid570 View Post
                            Oops, a couple of questions for you:

- how are you going to put the gelcoat on? Does it get sprayed on or rolled on?

I was wondering why you are paying someone else to install the wiring, paint, and engine??
                            heh heh heh, i aint no resto god.....just a guy that wanted a longer boat

the gellcoat will either be rolled and tipped, or there is a company here that will spray it for 75 an hour.....the difference, is a lot of sanding with rolling vs spraying. so im going to go the spray route....

as far as the paint, my buddie is one of the top auto restorers/painters.
                            so its nothing for him to do a little spray job on it.

as far as the elec.....toucan has been makin all my lights come on for 5 years....(at least)..he is retired german telecom .that has recently gone in to home contracting.......so, from my store to my new house (he had to fix all the electrical contractors mistakes).to all the stoves i made him fix .and hes the best.

my mechanic, dirk has been on that boat from when it was a old blue pile of patches with a bad 4 cylinder. and hes got my 6 cyl waiting to go in for testing.

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

So, basically, you have connections! haha Wish I had that! Then again, if I did, I'd probably have about 5 more boats...haha

Comment

Re: hull extension in progress with picks

a 6 cyl.? !!! man you should put a 454 in that bad boy oops!

Comment

Working...
                                X