hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

A question Opps...

How will you register the boat now? Obviously the title description no longer applies (length if nothing else). Will you re-title as a new boat or try to maintain its original year of manufacture?

I ask as in my state getting a boat re-titled would be a MAJOR task. In fact I would suspect it would have to go through some sort of insepection and approval process. But on the flip side if you sell the boat it would be much better to have a "new" boat according to the title.

Thoughts???

the boat will be registered as a new boat.....a u-built...or home made boat.

it will require a marine surevey. the local guy that does them is a buddy of mine.

i was thinking of it the other day....the only thing left of the orignal boat is basically the shape. !

every inch of it (the hull) is new glass and gellcoat.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

wow....1000 replies......break out the champaign !

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thanks for the birthday wishes guys.......man i really missed a lot here....

and spinner is on holidays???????......qiuck....break out the bikini camera ! :D

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

OK........IM BACK !

took a break from the boat for a while and got the bayliner on the water (special thanks to don.s and bond-o).

quite a social thread we got goin here....:) (just read the last few posts since ive been gone.....:D, somthing makes me want a corona !

.....appearantly i missed ondarvr's visit :( i didnt find out that he was here till it was too late.

i was planning to hit the boat tonight, but i might have to make a quick trip to vancouver tomm morn. if the wind comes up on the lake at 4 pm ill go work on the big boat some more.

ill take pics and have them up for tomm night.....(depending on what time i get back from van.......

cheers guys
oops

jcsercsa

Captain

About Time Old Man !! we missed our ooops !!
hahahah take it easy !! John

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

What hot chick??? That girl looks like someone beat her in the face with a sock full of red hot quarters. Or mabee a pillow case full of steamed hockey pucks.

Labman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have read all 41 pages in one sitting, officially addicted!
Need to see the finished product.
Keep up the good work oops.

Labman

oops!

Supreme Mariner

leavin to work on the boat....update comin tonight !

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

woo hoo Cant wait:D:D:D:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

forgot my camera today....sorry guys...

when i left off i had just glassed the plaining surface of the hull.....

the job looks really good....but it messed up my perfectily smooth fairing job !

today i glassed the bow section with 1 oz matt and waxed resin.

the whole bottom of the boat is now glassed.

i also started to work on the sides.....there was a problem area where the mold had moved....it was a large bump that would have been impossible to fair out......soooooo....out came the grinder.....yep....i just love the itch..!

i ground out the area, one on each side of the boat...i got one area good...but the other was quite high....so i gonna have to go under the boat and add a few layers of glass to the inside of the boat....that way ill have more glass to grind out to get the hull straight....

as far as the plaining surface.....i need to sand the fresh glass smooth..

i used matt instead of the traditional thin tight weave finishing cloth. (didnt have any)....so there is a lot to sand......ill be using a makita sander/polisher with a 7 inch pad and 50 grit.....

when thats sanded smooth....ill add a skin coat of farring compound. the skin coat will be sanded down to a 400 grit smoothness.

its a lot of sanding, but the more i do now.....the less ill have to do after the gellcoat is sprayed on....

ill get picks tommorow

cheers
oops

Labman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a BUMP, can't let this get too far back!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

did some more work on the boat last night.....

my camera has gone AWOL.....if i cant find it today....ill go buy another one tonight so you guys can see whats goin on.....

the whole hull plaining surface is glassed (as of the last update)

so last night, it was a job i was not looking foward to......sanding down the fiberglass !!!!!

i broke out the 7 inch makita, with an 80 grit hook and loop disc.....

WOW..!!! wish i would hve had it during rough and scuff...!

the sander made short work of smoothing the fully cured glass....(i used a layer of 1 oz matt with waxrd resin as a finishing layer. the sander ate the stuff up quick ! 3 hrs and the whole surface was done...

the only problem is .....the sander needed to be at a 15 deg angle. that means...the possibility of "sanding trenches".....shallow dips and highs that you only see after the gellcoat is on and buffed ! (i can feel minute surface imperfections now)

sooooo....its another skin coat of fairing compound...(i knew i would be doing this step any how).....sanding the final skin coat will be a challenge.
i have to go as high a grit as i can to get a great finish on the gellcoat.

ill be starting with 120 grit on the hand held long board tonight.
(the long board is the only way i know of to get it back flat and smooth)
then to 180, 280 and finally to 380.

im hoping to get at least one side of the plaining surface done tonight...but you never know....it could go fast....ar it could go.......:(

the side gunwhales are allmost not a problem....i dont think it will take long for them at all....two or three days each side... after im done the planing surface, i will be raising the boat 2 1/2 feet so its easer to get a long board on it (rather then bending down with each longboard stroke

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where is the best place to buy a "long sanding board" (in Canada) and also do they come in various lengths?

Bailey

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i had to go to acklands welding supplies to get my good one.....about 50 bucks.......princess auto has them for $18.

mine is 24 ins.......

you can make them out of plained down 2x4s any legnth you want

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Would the belt sander do a better job?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the belt sander makes grooves at the side of the belt.....for rough work its ok.....but for fine tuning it wont work......

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Your camera is probably buried in a giant pile of dust in the corner at this point :)

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey oops,
By 'long board', I hope you mean one of these
FPT8222A.jpg
... Go up to as high as 220 grit to get a great surface.

How about adding a little gel to your fairing compound? The color would help you see where the problems are (when sanded). Also, I've found that gelcoat itself works kinda like a high fill primer, and is very easy to sand.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thats a pretty fancy smanchy long board

picgroup52001.jpg

this is the various grits....from 50.... 80....120....220 ....and a roll of 400.

the hull was glassed with 1 oz matt and sanded with a sander at 800 rpm and 80 grit

picgroup52002.jpg

as you can see in this pic......the hull looks straight.....BUT...looks aint everything......it has to be smooth

picgroup52003.jpg

i started doing a skin coat last night. but the long steel i have was showing signs of age and was leaving high spots......:mad:.......i decided rather than to muck it up...i packed it up for the night.....i was only there for an hour :(
but im coming back later today to see what i can get done......

iboater, shawn floats is in town, so im gonna try to whip out there and say hi.(depending on work and deleveries) than get back to the boat tonight and see if i cant get the side finished.....

more pics tomm,,,,,,

cheers
oops

Labman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank's for the new posts oops. I was starting to get the shakes and was experiencing vision problems. Had the same symptoms when I tried to quit smoking.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.