hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

Whats the ballpark cost up too? Juse wondering if you could have just bought a brand new boat with what you have spent? Thanks and its looking sharp!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Whats the ballpark cost up too? Juse wondering if you could have just bought a brand new boat with what you have spent? Thanks and its looking sharp!

not yet.....thats after the new motor.....

i allways could have bought a new boat, but they all look the same.

the budget was 25k for the whole proj....including, motor drive, tower uph and paint

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I own a larson cruiser with a stepped hull. It rides noticeably flatter and much quicker than similar boats its size.

Doug

hi doug.....what size and what pkg? are you over 30 feet?

my comments were directed towards the smaller "under 25 foot" class

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice

hi doug.....what size and what pkg? are you over 30 feet?

my comments were directed towards the smaller "under 25 foot" class

Not quite 30 ft' yet. :D The boat is a 27' Larson Cabrio Cruiser equipped with a 7.4l Volvo Duo-Prop package.

Doug

redfury

Commander

Must be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now, eh oops! ?

Looks really good....Y'know it's going to be a shame that most people won't know what went into that boat when they see you grinnin' behind the wheel in it while popping up on plane ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Looks really good....Y'know it's going to be a shame that most people won't know what went into that boat when they see you grinnin' behind the wheel in it while popping up on plane ;)

heh heh heh
kinda like lund's woodwork/glass job in his resto.....its soo purty ya hate to cover it up..!

we are getting very, very close. more long blocking on it last nite and another three hours scheduled for today.

one side is allmost perfect, the other just needs a little fine tuning. then we start on the side gunwhales.....(weve been picking at them little by little. so there wont be too much work on them at all....

the sanding is crazy...! really hard tedious work. running up and down the legnth of the boat with a board, pushing as hard as you can on it.....

we are using 50 grit sand paper. it really chews the filler, but it is still very slow.

each day that goes buy...it gets another step closer to the water!

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

drool, drool, drool.....ahhh air...

ive been working on getting my big compressor back from a guy. if i make headway, then i have got to find a rental company that has air powered longboards.

were just a bout done....another few days. but im gonna keep tryin for the air

redfury

Commander

Y'know oops!, you'll end up getting the compressor back the day you finish long boarding the boat. :p

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

drool, drool, drool.....ahhh air...

ive been working on getting my big compressor back from a guy. if i make headway, then i have got to find a rental company that has air powered longboards.

were just a bout done....another few days. but im gonna keep tryin for the air

How big of one do you need?

I've got a Home Depot 5 hp if that is big enough for you. I fon't want it to be lent out permanently, and will need it back in a couple of weeks (got baseboards to do) but could part with it for a while.

Don't know what kinda CFM a long board needs though.

fishie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i need my pics fix!!!!:D:D Sounds like your making progress bud!! By the way, congrats on your 3000 posts....captian;):rolleyes:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:D You dont miss much, damm good style.....id give it 6 months or a year to completion...no flame here...lot's of admiration....;)

jcsercsa

Captain

i need my pics fix!!!!:D:D Sounds like your making progress bud!! By the way, congrats on your 3000 posts....captian;):rolleyes:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhh CAPITAN OOOPS sounds like my kind of navy !!!!!! lol now you have too times that by 10 !!! John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

actually tackelwasher i might take you up on that for the gellcoat application..

we finished the hull plaining surface tonight.......the string lines are bang on....there is not even a 1/8th of an inch between the string line and the hull..in fact its bang on for the majority of the hull.....

dale says the tollerances we are using are closer than a new hull pulled from a mold.
tommorow night. (thurs) we will be doing a final blocking of the plaining surface.....then prep for glassing on friday night
once the glass is on the plaining surface....we will rais the boat and work the gunwhales.....that will go fast...one day per....(i hope)

ill post some pics of the progress tommorow.

cheers guys
oops

harry styles

Seaman Apprentice

Cant wait to see more picks. This is incredible. Do you think you can do mine next? LOL

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm pretty sure oops! has had his fill of boat resto work and he's still got a long way to go. If he get's near a hull with a chain saw again he prolly couldn't stop till there's just a pile of chopped strand and saw dust !!!:eek: oops! Back away from the Bayliner!!! :D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I'm pretty sure oops! has had his fill of boat resto work and he's still got a long way to go. If he get's near a hull with a chain saw again he prolly couldn't stop till there's just a pile of chopped strand and saw dust !!!:eek: oops! Back away from the Bayliner!!! :D

i was thinkin of makin it a cuddy......just a quick slice down the keel to widen it, then one half way up the gunwhale to give it more freeboard.

a quick and easy way to turn a 19 footer to a thirty. :D :D

erikgreen

Captain

Just take what you have now, cut it in two at the keel, then turn each part on its side and fasten the sterns together. Presto, 50 foot canoe :)

Erik

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Just take what you have now, cut it in two at the keel, then turn each part on its side and fasten the sterns together. Presto, 50 foot canoe :)

Erik

lol...:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the hull is now stringline perfect. dead straight......

the thing to do now, is do a minor skin coat, this will fill any minor pinholes, or indents caused by the trowels or putty knives that are too deep to sand out.

picgroup50001.jpg

over all the hull is straighter than any boat in the yard out front.

to the naked eye, you cannot see a waiver anywhere along the plaining surface.
this was really tough to do as the poly fair shrinks during cure, so we would add a layer one day, wait till harden, then fair it. and the next day or two...it would be low due to shrinkage.

picgroup50002.jpg

we still have to add the final layer of glass to the bottom and then fair that in, but, at least we know the area to be glassed is straight.

picgroup50003.jpg

we still have a litttle surface prep for the bow area, but well do that tonight, and then tommorow, its glassing time :D

cheers
oops

Status
Not open for further replies.