hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

If you have read here enough you can tell Drew is off his meds.... :)

Agree, or he has had too much off the other liquid meds. Maybe he will be in a better mood today.

Have a great day,

Rob.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

That is a HUGE roll of glass!! DID you make that stand thing just for that roll? LOL

redfury

Commander

I had to. I kinda hooked the 2x4 running through the roll with it and push on the top brace to lift it off the ground :D Rolled it all the way into the back yard.

jcsercsa

Captain

big%20honkin%20roll%20of%20fiberglass.jpg

Figured I'd shoot up a picture of that roll of fiberglass. I'd run and get that other roll, but I'm having a hard enough time dealing with this monster alone :D

OOOHHH MY GOD redfury how many yards is that roll ??? dont let ooops see that he will want to make his boat a 60 footer !!! hahahah sorry oops !!! hahaha

oops!

Supreme Mariner

he he he... good one john...! :D

red....im still amazed...:)

ok...up dates comin soon.....its not blue any more !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

had a real good afternoon on the boat....

first i needed to finish the gell coat removal

this a a better pic (all swept off ) of where i left off.

pickgroup44001.jpg

and this is the final gell on the boat

pickgroup44002.jpg

all gone ! :)

i was having troubles fairing by myself....so i decided to take advantage of some tools.....i bought a belt sander on sale for 45 bucks at canadian tire.
it made quick work of fairing the hull.

the final layer of fill coat went on the port side and another fill layer on starboard.

pickgroup44003.jpg

i was about to call it quits for the night at this point

pickgroup44005.jpg

but then i decided to grab the belt sander and give it the once over

pickgroup44006.jpg

i386

Captain

I do not envy you during this phase.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that stick there is my straight edge.

pickgroup44008.jpg

it just takes a few passes with the belt sander to get it flat, the tool is really speediing up the fairing job.

pickgroup44009.jpg

i talked to rob j and he asked me "how much work do you have left on the project"?

that question had me thinking for an hour or two...........i really think a maximum of 80 hours...............( :eek: haaa as you guys know my time estimation skills are right out the window :D )

after it comes back from gellcoat just a few assembly and fabrication items, then cap on (i still have to fair and paint the cap,,,,,but with the belt sander, that wont take long)

then its off to the mechanics for motor install.......a lot of all the little details will wait till next winter.....it might look a bit funny this year....just plain...but i need to evaluate the hull before i spend mega dollars on the theme part...

ill be on it today so ill have an update coming tonight.

cheers
oops

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

cool beans! What type of motor and drive is going into it? I know you had said but i dont fell like reading back 157 pages to try to find it. Is it going to be a I/O? Or are you going to make it so the prop goes through the hull on the bottom(i cant remember what thats called, its 110 degrees out now and im on break from mowing my lawn). I know you are putting a smaller power plant in for this season to see what she will do but it is somewhat unclear what type of power you are going to use. I cant wait to see the shiney hull when you are dont getting her all prepped and your guys get the gel on her. A lot of people learned a lot of things from your thread so i wanted to say thanks. I think you have learned a lot yourself as you went but thats the fun of the whole thing right? LOL my wife told me last night that i like to work on my boat more than i like to go boating. Got me thinking. I hope to get mine on the water soon. Like i said before im a lot farther than the shareaproject and my other pics, i just have not updated in a long time. I am waiting to get to a certian point before i do that.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

383 stroker drew.....575 hp @ 6000 rpm.....prop slip calc = 100 mph threoterical.....that means about 70 with that hull

erikgreen

Captain

I don't think I've asked yet... Bravo I/II/III or Volvo?

III would be awesome if expensive :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

volvo bud....

ive got a b3 brand new sitting here....i bought it for the boat, but the volvo is still a much better drive.......

so im selling the bravo. the volvo will go in at the same time as the motor

redfury

Commander

I had passing thoughts of converting my boat into an I/O. I could get a used motor relatively cheap depending on what I was after, but the outdrive portion is huge dollars. I could get a really nice outboard for the price of an outdrive alone! 115hp Mercs can be had for $1500 or less, and I can pretty much pick out of a barrel an 85hp for under a grand. I like the idea of the economy of an I/O, but the upfront cost would kill my meager budget.

Perhaps I need to start fixing appliances in my driveway ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thats funny mike...:D :D

an i/o can be had cheap if you buy a boat that the hull is trashed and swap the whole rig.....transom conversion is not really a big deal......

but o/bs are faster...lighter...easyer to work on and take less space in the boat.

but iffen ya want mega hp on one drive....:D

Robj

Lieutenant

Just a thought. You said you were going to use a Volvo drive, but initially install the 4.3 with Merc outdrive? Won't the transom cut-outs be different between the Merc and the Volvo?

Back home now, glad we missed that storm you had yesterday.

Have a great day,

Rob.

GAboat3r

Cadet

:eek:
Newer boat owner, found this forum yesterday, figured this morning, just browse a few recent threads.....saw a thread about a hull extension.... 4 hours and 33 pages later....WOW!!!

What a project!! My hat's off to you oops, I love reading about these type of projects, called the wife this morning and said we ARE taking the new boat out Saturday....She asked me; "how fast is this going to get crazy like the car stuff?"....I said..."too late" :D

I was wondering if you have an estimate or kept track how many hours you have in it so far?

Best of luck to you oops, and MORE UPDATES!!!

Norm

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Just a thought. You said you were going to use a Volvo drive, but initially install the 4.3 with Merc outdrive? Won't the transom cut-outs be different between the Merc and the Volvo?

Back home now, glad we missed that storm you had yesterday.

Have a great day,

Rob.

the lightning was cool !......the wind wasnt too bad where i was....in the shop
sanding ! :D the shop is cinder block walls....kinda like a bunker...

the volvo and merc cutouts are different.....dirk..(my mechanic) says he can do it with out a problem....but ill check on it again.....if its a smaller cut out...id better know what he plans...! :eek:

thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner

:eek:

I was wondering if you have an estimate or kept track how many hours you have in it so far?

Norm

hi norm.......welcome to i boats :)

as far as the time spent.....uh...wel....uh.....ive lost track :eek:....but lots

cheers
oops

Status
Not open for further replies.