This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hull extension in progress with picks

the next step was to fe fit the broken panel....(my coveralls tore it)

and get ready for the gell coat.....

unfortunatly my camera ran outta batteries so the final phase of adding the form is missing....

but after the gell coat was added.....just rolled on with a roller...(the tan section)...while i was waiting for it to tack...i ran out and grabbed batteries....

in this pic you can actually see the duct tape holding the parts of the mould togeather......
    we took the duct tape off everywhere else, and replaced it with tuck tape...
    10 times stronger...thinner.....
    you might say red green got fired!.....i left thoes peices cause i could not reach them without disturbing all the work i had done fitting the mould

ondarvr says im going to have to grind off most of the gellcoat that i added.
    so it is entirly possible this step was in vain....but the odd colored can of gell was free....and only a hours work......i applied it thick...so it took 2 hrs of waiting for it to tack...then i got impatient...stoked the wood stove...and came back in an hour and a half...it was tacking nicely....so i cut the glass to fit and got it ready....

again...this a newer style of 24 oz glass...from vectorply..... mat on one side and stitiched on the other...ill take close picks of the glass it self tommorow night so you can see......

the 24 oz glass drinks resin...big time....a gallon of resin was used to do this step

those white dots you see is actually glass dust on the lens.

that is a pic of the hull glassed with the first layer done....note the stringlines are still there...thats to re check the plaining surface after the glass cures....if it doesnt cure "bang on straight" im better off to rip it out, re grind everything, build another mould, and start again...rather than try to "fudge it" after all the glass is in place.

im back on it tommorow as my trip to vancouver was cancled cause of the avalanch. tomorows job.....grind out out folds in the new glass cut the peices for the transom to fit. and add another two layers of glass to the extension.
    The Hull Extension Thread
    great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
    November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Any Updates? Im curious if this is going to work. Thanks
      http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x...h44/?start=all

Comment

ive got a camera full. of up dates....

more glassing.
        i lost my camera uplink cable...ill find it soon

the only time i will know if this works is when i drop it in the water and run it up on plane.

but the plainning sufface looks good drew

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

now that is a SERIOUS project good luck

ryan

Comment

thank you...

ive got two or three days worth...coming soon...

drew....yer gonna love this

cheers
            oops

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Go OOOPS Go , man it really looks good so far !!!!!! John
              http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj258/jcsercsa/

STANLEY CUP CHAMPS 35-36 36-37 42-43 49-50 51-52 53-54
              54-55 96-97 97-98 01-02 07-08

Comment

Well lets see it i cant wait! you are doing a good job!! i was going to ask your plans for the layout but you have your hands full with joining the boat together at this point!

Comment

i'd lay off the corona... without a respirator the glass gives you enough of a buzz. Wether your laying new stuff or cutting old stuff, get a full face respirtator. I use a survivair, works well.

Now for the serious stuff.

Even with a serious stringer system for reinforcement, I see it as a bit dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised to see the transom snap of on the first whack of a wave. There's a bunch of reasons why. Have you read any books yet on fiberglass boat building?
                  just because you found it that way does not mean it is supposed to be that way.

Comment

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!

You must really like that boat to go through that kinda effort...........
                    '84 Grady White Offshore
                    350 Mag w/ Vortec Heads
                    Alpha 1 Drive

Comment

Jason, why do you think that it wont work? Im just curious. You say there are multiple reasons, such as what? Im just curious as to why you think that it wont work. You got to admit though that is some project. I do however have to say that i would be pretty nervous getting in that boat and running through the water knowing what was done to it. I wonder if there is a way to test the hull before he puts too much money into it after he gets the extention done. Please let us know though jason, why you dont think that it is going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by captJason View Post
                        i'd lay off the corona... without a respirator the glass gives you enough of a buzz. Wether your laying new stuff or cutting old stuff, get a full face respirtator. I use a survivair, works well.

Now for the serious stuff.

Even with a serious stringer system for reinforcement, I see it as a bit dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised to see the transom snap of on the first whack of a wave. There's a bunch of reasons why. Have you read any books yet on fiberglass boat building?

capt jason......actually corona is a big part of the boat ....(thats an inside joke....but youll get it in the spring).....i do have a few full faced resporators, and they are used all the time..... safety is paramount.

as far as the integrity concerns on the hull......yes ive read several books on glass boat construction....and spent hours talking to pros....
                        you don't do something like this without extencive research....4 months worth before the hull was cut
                        if you read up......i have been consulting with professional boat builders all the time....... in fact i now have one working on the project with me. he that has done many hull extensions for a professional west coast boat yard.....
                        after much investigation .....i found out extensions are done all the time on fiberglass boats in pro boatyards
                        the actual joints are now the strongest part of the hull...

but if you know something i don't... please feel free to enlighten me
                        cheers
                        oops

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

I hope capt jason responds as im real interested in what he has to say. Im wondering why he thinks it will not work. If he knows something that we do not, i would like to hear it. I would be a little nervous on it the first couple times out but if you know what you are doing then you know! It is a verry good project in my opinion. I wonder now how you register this thing as now it is a whole different size then it was. And also oops, did you find your cable for your camera? Im interested in seeing as manny pics as you have! Im verry interested in this project. Are you going to extend the cap also? I would extend the cap the same way and re-install it and make it a open bow. Or, at this point you can make something new and make it a center console or whatever you want!! I just hope that the glass bonds to the old glass! i think it will be ok though. You seem to have done a lot of prep work. I would have supported it a little more though but thats just me. Like i said im really interested in seeing the pics of whatever you got. I might buy a project hull and do this if it works out for you. I just want to say that i have done it! Thanks for sharing though and good luck!!!

Comment

hey drew....... im sure cap will be on line in a bit'

i found the cable for the camera...so lots of updates coming for tommorow morning....three days worth.....you wont beleive how simple this is getting

as far as regestering........its a new hull....and treated as such......the boat will be an 08...(in canada).....

the cap will also be extended....the back end of the boat cut down an inch or two so the cap can follow the current line of the boat......i am extending the top back part to be a full engine cowling....(getting rid of the dog house)...the two jump seats will also be gone...and a full bench added in a u shape cross the back.....that will give me the storage we dont have in thoes old searays....lot of fiberglass fabbing.....im gonna experiment with hdrazzas cloth forming ideas...see if i can get it to work...

going to a hockey game tonight...then ill post the updates.
                            cheers
                            oops

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

you wont beleive how simple this is getting
                              .................................................. ...............

Ayuh,......... I'm Impressed,....... Wicked Good Job........

I've done Alot of Refits,.........

But never a Stretch like that............

Epoxy or Polyester,..??

Comment

poly......

the manns used poly so i had to.....

wanted to go carbon fiber.....but i couldnt...unless i used epoxy...and i was repeatedly warned away from it

more up dates comin in a few hours

November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X