Removed

Removed

Last edited:

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

Hey Oops,

Boat show weekend here in Vancouver. Are you going to be up here?

Have a great day,

Rob.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

robj.....
just got off doin the gell coat and the first layer of glass......its 2:45 am wed morn......im goin to vanc at 7am......then back.....should be back in kelowna by 6 pm.....

when does it start rob?.....i could prob go down on friday...and steal away for an hour or two..for the boat show....but i gotta be back on the hi way before it starts to snow...i dont wanna get stuck at the bottom of sno shed hilll with a thousand trucks again......

ill see if i can find out any details from here.....

oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

john.....

i was doin lousy transom repairs to the odd boats i owned 6 years ago before i found this site.............when i found this site in sept.....i learned how to do it the way its supposed to be done........and now i know my 2 transom jobs were trash.

i re did the galley ....just added some plywood and stain on a 43 footer i lived on in victoria bc......

and just fixed the odd thing here and there on some of my other boats....

but this is the first real restoration ive ever done.....

without the knowlege ive gained here........i couldnt have even thought of doing this.........this is an iboats boat.....

you, me, sarg, drewmitch, and a few others are all doin restos at the same time....we are all learning from each other at the same time....

i learn lots from you and the guys....have you seen drew's share a proj?
hes doin a closed bow..to an open bow..on a simmelar boat....lots of fabbing.

any how...its late and im rambeling on....i think im stoned from the glass fumes..:eek::eek:

ill post up dated picks when i get back........

and sarg......when your done...your gonna be a salty dawg on this site!
cheers guys...thanks for the encouragement...i really needed it

cheers
oops

mspring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey oops I have been reading all the posts on this one from work where our computers wont show the pics. Today I was anxious to get home and see your pics. Very impressive work. I am really interested in the cradle you built for your little yacht, mobile and on casters. Looks straight out of the text books.:D:D You really got that hull down to the original fiberglass it looks like, probably why that grinder couldnt take any more. I have been thinking about that on my hull, grind it all out clean or use the excuse I am leaving in the old glass for more hull strength lol!!!:eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I have been thinking about that on my hull, grind it all out clean or use the excuse I am leaving in the old glass for more hull strength lol!!!:eek:

mspring

if the old glass is origional,...id leave it, just rough it up and add onother layer for strength......

if someone else got in there before you and hacked it...!.......grind their stuff out.....you dont know what they used, or if it was mixed right....

its a lotta work but, the satisfaction of a job done the way you want is priceless....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

more picks of the gellcoat and the first layer of glass comin in a few hours...

it was a rough trip to van yesterday as a big storm came thru the mountains

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Any update on the new pics?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

k drew here ya go......

i got back late last night from vanc.....dodged an avalanch....missed it by 2 hrs.......any how...this is tuesday nights work

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

What is?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the next step was to fe fit the broken panel....(my coveralls tore it)

and get ready for the gell coat.....

unfortunatly my camera ran outta batteries so the final phase of adding the form is missing....

but after the gell coat was added.....just rolled on with a roller...(the tan section)...while i was waiting for it to tack...i ran out and grabbed batteries....

picbroup9002.jpg

in this pic you can actually see the duct tape holding the parts of the mould togeather......
we took the duct tape off everywhere else, and replaced it with tuck tape...
10 times stronger...thinner.....
you might say red green got fired!.....i left thoes peices cause i could not reach them without disturbing all the work i had done fitting the mould

picbroup9003.jpg

ondarvr says im going to have to grind off most of the gellcoat that i added.
so it is entirly possible this step was in vain....but the odd colored can of gell was free....and only a hours work......i applied it thick...so it took 2 hrs of waiting for it to tack...then i got impatient...stoked the wood stove...and came back in an hour and a half...it was tacking nicely....so i cut the glass to fit and got it ready....

picbroup9001.jpg

again...this a newer style of 24 oz glass...from vectorply..... mat on one side and stitiched on the other...ill take close picks of the glass it self tommorow night so you can see......

picbroup9006.jpg

the 24 oz glass drinks resin...big time....a gallon of resin was used to do this step

picbroup9007.jpg

those white dots you see is actually glass dust on the lens.

picbroup9005.jpg

that is a pic of the hull glassed with the first layer done....note the stringlines are still there...thats to re check the plaining surface after the glass cures....if it doesnt cure "bang on straight" im better off to rip it out, re grind everything, build another mould, and start again...rather than try to "fudge it" after all the glass is in place.

im back on it tommorow as my trip to vancouver was cancled cause of the avalanch. tomorows job.....grind out out folds in the new glass cut the peices for the transom to fit. and add another two layers of glass to the extension.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Any Updates? Im curious if this is going to work. Thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ive got a camera full. of up dates....

more glassing.
i lost my camera uplink cable...ill find it soon

the only time i will know if this works is when i drop it in the water and run it up on plane.

but the plainning sufface looks good drew

salamonieryan

Recruit

now that is a SERIOUS project good luck

ryan

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thank you...

ive got two or three days worth...coming soon...

drew....yer gonna love this

cheers
oops

jcsercsa

Captain

Go OOOPS Go , man it really looks good so far !!!!!! John

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Well lets see it i cant wait! you are doing a good job!! i was going to ask your plans for the layout but you have your hands full with joining the boat together at this point!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

i'd lay off the corona... without a respirator the glass gives you enough of a buzz. Wether your laying new stuff or cutting old stuff, get a full face respirtator. I use a survivair, works well.

Now for the serious stuff.

Even with a serious stringer system for reinforcement, I see it as a bit dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised to see the transom snap of on the first whack of a wave. There's a bunch of reasons why. Have you read any books yet on fiberglass boat building?

FreeBeeTony

Captain

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!

You must really like that boat to go through that kinda effort...........

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Jason, why do you think that it wont work? Im just curious. You say there are multiple reasons, such as what? Im just curious as to why you think that it wont work. You got to admit though that is some project. I do however have to say that i would be pretty nervous getting in that boat and running through the water knowing what was done to it. I wonder if there is a way to test the hull before he puts too much money into it after he gets the extention done. Please let us know though jason, why you dont think that it is going to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.