hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

I think that he is a small mom and pop shop......that would make him the goon. Glad to hear you got some work done. This project is moving along nicely. Keep up the work. I am sure grinders have save more than one relationship.

ToothDocNick OOOPS is the head Goon !!! its his shop !! hahaha that makes him the flunkie and the goon and the man !!! hahahah john

oops!

Supreme Mariner

all the employees are gone today...so its just me.....

ok where were we?

all the days are a blur lately......ok...so i got the motor cage glassed. it has 2 layers of csm to form a frame.....then 2 layers of 1708....then csm...then an 8 oz veil....so it should be really strong.....

the knees were all glassed in and let me tell ya...it was a bazillion little peices, thats why i was putting it off....but its done now....finally.....

i then glassed in the deck.....it final 4 feet of the motor cage.....using the same csm first then veil lay up schedule........

then i cut the tabs for the hull deck joint out of 1708.....6 ins on the deck and six inches up the wall......

the deck was allready tabbed in with the csm and the veil.....for 9 oz total tab before the 25 oz 1708 was added.....

so with the ecpetion of two things i cant do till the gastank housing is finished.........the list i made a month ago....and expected to be done in one day is now compleated. :eek:

deckingset1012.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yep.....flunky.....salesman....appliance repairer, furniture buyer, janitor....and cheif head basher when the staff doesnt show up !

tonight i get to grind the deck smooth.....clean it and possibly gellcoat it....i hope i can get it all done...id love to have it gellcoated by tonight.

ill have a full pic update of the past few days tommorow.

cheers
oops

jcsercsa

Captain

Cool buddie , so wheres the next list ?? time is running out !!!!! did you see my thread ?? putting mine in the garage to start work !! she wouldn't start for me yesterday !!!!!$%$%^^^^$$$^^&&***** lol killed the starter solenoid !!!! John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

whattttt????.....awww man...she let ya down?...boats tend to do that kind of thing..:mad:

judging by the leaves on the trees you might not have much of a season left.

ill check in on ya....

i got the deck gellcoated....ive also got a bazillion and 7 pics to up load.... ill have updates around 2pm i boats time

jcsercsa

Captain

whattttt????.....awww man...she let ya down?...boats tend to do that kind of thing..:mad:

judging by the leaves on the trees you might not have much of a season left.

ill check in on ya....

i got the deck gellcoated....ive also got a bazillion and 7 pics to up load.... ill have updates around 2pm i boats time

Yea I know they do , its just the frist time this one has !!! ^#^^^^$%$$$$$^&&&**(((&&&&^^ lol

Shes all coated too cool !! Whats next ???????? Dont forget the camera !!! and the cord !!! lol John

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

( i watched a sask hamilton football game,

Hamilton sure is starting to play well. Too little too late, but they almost pulled off a win and showed a good game for a team with nothing to gain.

Riders kinda looked flat and really need to get their QB situation sorted out.

But my bombers sucked this weekend. Looks like their happy coasting into 2nd and just waiting to see which western team blows their season.

But it's gonna be the Stamps and Al's this year.

I need to get by and see the boat.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hamilton sure is starting to play well. Too little too late, but they almost pulled off a win and showed a good game for a team with nothing to gain.

Riders kinda looked flat and really need to get their QB situation sorted out.

But my bombers sucked this weekend. Looks like their happy coasting into 2nd and just waiting to see which western team blows their season.

But it's gonna be the Stamps and Al's this year.

I need to get by and see the boat.

the sask cats game was a crazy finish.....wow....a 50 ish yarede missed by a few feet.

our local sun guys got creamed on saturday in nanamio......that was for all the marbles......appearantly they are giving the guys "gifts" to come play.....thats illigal as it gets in this league.....thats why they have all the big talent......but lets just hope they can win the cup this year.

the guy that runs rent a boat is going to plan a "grey cup special" trip and send 50 people to the game. i hope he can pull it off.....

if you come to the boat....he has the fence locked all the time at night....just phone me on my cell or text me..or phone the number on the sign out front and he will come out and let you in.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

holy smokes.....53 pics......this is gonna take a while.......ok...update comin

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

topic streamlining

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok.....

i wished i had gotten pics of the motor mount blockes in the boat before i started glassing.....there is soo much to document....that to remember it when you are in the middle of a job is just a killer.

the glassing of the motor cage was somthing i had been putting off because of all the specialty glassing that had to be done......

this is the beginning. the csm had to form a basic mold over the motor mount blocke...there was as much as 1/2 inch gaps in some spots. the wet csm was just a backing plate for bigger fabric

deckingset7001.jpg

there is a huge amount of corners in this layup......the main peice had two 90 deg outside corners and one 90 in side corner.

its my tradition to let the glass lay in the spot it is cut for, for a while...that way it kinda conforms a little better...this is especially true with the bigger cloths......so while that was bieing formed....i cut some more

deckingset7003.jpg

and some more....

deckingset7008.jpg

as you can see ....these are all peices of 1708 fabric.....the 1708 is kinda finickey becaues it needs to be folded with the grain of the cloth when bending 90 deg.....and as you can see ....there is a lot of bends here.

deckingset7009.jpg

then the csm for the deck to tie it all in.

deckingset7010.jpg

and finally the veil...

deckingset7011.jpg

and i glassed it all in !

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

topic streamlining

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

deckingset7012.jpg

remember that sculpture i made the other day?.....well i found a good use for it.....

deckingset7007.jpg

actually....that is a really handy tool!.

in glassing these sections the way i did....it is super strong.....those are 1708 (25 oz) deck tabs to kneed stiringes, tied to a transom that has a peice of full hull wrapped cloth on the inside of one layer.,,,,,so that is waaay over kill for what is needed for this vessel.

ok......now for a fun thing......the exact order your seeing here is not the way it went down....

after the csm was wrapped over the motor mounts and cured...it needed a few really big wraps of cloth for stiffness and stregnth.....

well......ondarvr gave me some super thick cloth.....if i remember correctly...i t said 4208 or somthing close....it was a 38 or 42 ish....that means 42 ozs of a woven bi ax...and 8 oz of csm on the other side...its thick and heavy....

i needed this glass to turn sharp corners......so...i used a new trick....after i cut it to shape....wet it out...and laid it in place....i used heat lamps to mold the glass into place...

deckingset7002.jpg

the lamps made the glass more maluable and easyer to bend round the corners......

i glassed them in for over half of an hour.......and still....our old nemisis of glass rounding a corner showed up.....too much air....as soon as the resin hits it...it expands......well the resin was starting to gell and there was no way it was going to work....so i pulled the peices off....the whole effort was waisted.

i just laid them into a used paint tray so they wouldnt cure and glass themselves to some where i didnt want.

deckingset7040.jpg

the next day....they hardend pertty in a pretty cool shape.

deckingset7041.jpg

well.....there was only one thing to do with those peices......

put em on a concrete block and hit em with a hammer !

deckingset7042.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

mannnn....i hit those suckers as hard as i could, i beat the s**t outta them!

deckingset7044.jpg

the glass took it....barely even dented them....finally after 20 or so all out whacks....i gave up

deckingset7043.jpg

im gonna see if i can find a heavyer slege hammer.

that stuff is strong...it has flex.....but no breaky !

so.....with the fun over......it was back to work !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

eventually ....the motor cage was layed up with 3 1708 wrapps.....

the total was 3, 1 oz csm....3, 1708 and a 8 oz finishing veil of woven.

deckingset7013.jpg

as you can see....the complexity of the corners.....and amount of cutting, made this job one that i was happy to finish.

deckingset7014.jpg

they will still need a little "tuning up" here and there....

deckingset7028.jpg

but the motor mounts are solid....glassed as to protected from water from the top....

deckingset7029.jpg

the stringer knees also need some tuning up before i gellcoat them

deckingset7030.jpg

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

topic streamlining

Last edited:

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

That was oop's testing the flux capacitor again:D
looks great:D:D:D

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

looking good oops can't wait till you get the rest of the pics loaded lol

oops!

Supreme Mariner

as i had mentioned earlier.....all of these things did not happen in the order that they did on the build......it would confuse you with all my jumping around from job to job while stuff cures....and so on....

some where in all that stuff....i needed to tab the hull back in to the deck with the big 1708.....

it has allready been tabbed with structural peanut butter.....a one oz csm....and an 8 oz finishing veil...woven product.....

using the grinder as a surgical tool.....with the very tip of the sanding disc...i removed any high spots or problematic areas that would make air under the 1708 tab wrap.

deckingset7005.jpg

to check my work...and make sure everything was smooth.....using a gloved hand....i ran my hand all around the perimiter of the hull, where it meets the deck....just feeling for bumps and other areas that may cause a air pocket or problem when glassing.

after everything was roughed and scuffed...and aceitoned....then it came time to cut the cloth.

deckingset7019.jpg

note on the 1708 lay up....the the grain of the cloth is running longitudnal with the bend in the cloth....when 1708 is used in a situation other than a flat horizontal surface....you have to watch how you cut it...or it can make a real mess to glass.

deckingset7021.jpg

the fore castle was reinforced with a double lay up....this means....that the inner hull has 4 wraps then the hull then the keel wraps on the exterior of the hull....that means the bow nose area is stupid strong.

deckingset7016.jpg

then it was glassing time.....note that the glass extends 6 ins up the side of the hull...and six ins on the deck....the minimum is a four inch tab.

deckingset7023.jpg

the bow looked really good....

deckingset7024.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

mannn.....coustomers keep coming in.....that last post took 2 hours in the writing phase !......ok i got more coming.....

and the flux capasitor seems to be working great......ill see if i cant get back to good ol "08 soon....(just after i find out who wins the next few dozen stanley cup series). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.