stringer drying???

allameri166

Recruit
hey there!! so like a lot of others im new to this but i have read a lot of useful information from this site.. i have purchased a 1967 all american 166 off of ebay up in NY for dirt cheap.. i knew there would be issues.. the boat had once been semi-redone but not structural( eng. rebuilt nice trailer new tires all equipment needed for boating. it has a new paint job and gelcoat on it new seats and new floor.. well im into the boat pretty far just from readin stuff on the net and a lot of what you guys post.. i do have one question i couldnt find an answer too...when redoing the stringers and transom... do all types of wood.... (i see everyone has own preferences on here).... have to be dried out before resining..including marine grade plywood.. i was personally goin with douglas fir stringers of solid wood type.. im a mechanic so when u guys uses abb. PT LT or watever lol ive read a bunch of em not sure wat ya mean..but still learning and if all wood has to be dried.. my garage is at about 50F in the winter.. couldnt it just be layed out or whats the process?? thanks guys

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: stringer drying???

pt is pressure treated, and has to be dried. i personally do not use it. the new stuff is treated with a chemical that is very corrosive to metal fasteners.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I use solid lumber for structural components. I think that all plywood delaminates when wet, so I stick to the dimentional lumber. I use pressure treated dimentional lumber and plywood, again to stave off rot. Dry all lumber as best as you can, especially pressure treated, since it usually comes wet. A little heater can do wonders for getting the lumber and work area warm enought to use resin effectively. use stainless steel (or silicone bronze) fasteners to avoid corrosion issues.

BillP

Captain

I don't think regular untreated ply needs to be dried as it comes from the lumber yard. Moisture was never a problem in my experience with it. Now I use pt ply (and pt dimentional lumber) and dry it at least a month but usually several months. If you want to dry it faster run a fan over it 24/7.

If you use pt ply go with the cca process. It isn't corrosive like the latest aqc process. Any type fastener material is ok for the cca process but SS fasteners are speced aqc. In Florida, where I live, cca is legal only on commercial projects and not residential but easy to find.

bp

Coors

Captain

Home Depot, etc, carries composite (plastic) for house decks- never rot.
Just needs to be wrapped with cloth, and epoxied.