To paint or not to Paint

RichNewby

Cadet
Hi, i have a small 14ft fletcher, it is in a horrible light brown colour, which is the origional gelcoat from what i can gather. It is a bit faded but it is structualy sound, i.e no cracks. Is it worth sanding it back down and re-gelcoating it, if this is possible? Or should i Sand it and then paint or just paint strait over the top of it? I am looking to turn it white.

Cheers
Rich

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: To paint or not to Paint

all depends on how much $$ you want to put into it. it is not going to raise the resale value, to cover cost of gel coating. have you ever fished from a white boat. you will be blind.

strombolichef

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am a fan of Restoring old stuff to original. If the gel coat is a bit faded, you will be able to buff it out with varyiing degrees of rubbing compound and get it back to looking like new. You might like the color better if it was back to its original finish. Painted fiberglass is always less desireable then original gel coat.

76GT150

Seaman Apprentice

Wet sand it with 1000 or 2000 grit then buff works faster.:) Or sand whole boat with 200 grit and da sander and paint it with awl grip. You don't have to sand all the gel coat off just skuff it.