So I got this "free" boat....

MISph1t

Recruit
A relative of mine had a 1979 Sea Arrow sa-180br sitting in a storage building (since 1992) that he needed out of his way. I gave it a new home. It's an 18' bow rider with a 350 Mercruiser engine. So far this "free" boat has cost me about $120.00 just to get it to my driveway (new tires for the trailer, $3.00 a gallon gas, etc). It's going to need new manifolds (Both are cracked. Can these be repaired?), possibly a new floor (not sure about the stringers, etc.), some minor upholstery work (partially done after it was parked), and whatever else a boat that's been sitting for 16 years needs done.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself since I have a feeling that I'll be asking lot's of questions on here. I've never restored, or even owned a boat for that matter. Looking forward to getting to know you folks and getting started on this boat. I'll post some pictures in a day or two. Gotta wash the pigeon poop off it first! :eek:

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Re: So I got this "free" boat....

Welcome to the forum, and let me just say, there's no such thing as a free boat. In fact, the more inexpensive the sticker price, is usually conversely proportionate to how much you're going to spend. Just ask anyone in the boat restoration forum, we'll all tell you about how we were suckered in by a low sticker price only to spend more than we would have on a brand new yacht. :D

BoogieMan

Seaman Apprentice

As for the manifolds, depending on how "cracked" they are, you should be able to get them repaired. Take them to a welding shop or a machine shop maybe to see what they say or they can do.

There is not a thing on the hull of the boat that you can not repair. Repairing the stringers, deck, transom and or maybe a hole or two can be a time consuming and hard labor but in the end you have the pride of knowing that you accomplished the job and pride of knowing what you have......a refurbished/trustworthy/nice looking boat.

Can't wait to see the pictures ;).

P.S. If you have a son that is old enough to help and has the time to help in the project this would make a great father and son project.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

the fact it was stored inside might be a bit a bit of a godsent. but i would throughly check it out for rot before doing anything else to it. dont want to install new seats just to take them out again to rip the floor out. as long as the engin isnt locked up a fresh oil change fog the cylenders before cranking crank it over with spark plugs removed to get the oil everywhere it should be. install new plugs hook up the muffs and see if she will fire. i would fire the engin before putting any money into it as well. good luck and i look forward to seeing some pictures

Bondo

Staff member

It's going to need new manifolds (Both are cracked. Can these be repaired?),

No...........

Repairing the outside of the casting will Not insure that the Inside won't dump water into your motor.......

So,.... The Question is,....
A couple Hundred for new manifolds,....
Or,.....
Several Thousand for a New Motor........

Robj

Lieutenant

Welcome to iboats. I agree that there are no Free Boats, it will end up costing you lots in repairs. If your floor is soft, then start by removing the affected area, chances are you will have to re-do the entire floor. Hopefully your stringers and transom are OK, if not you will be replacing those also. Your manifolds should be replaced, not even sure if repairs are possible. If they are cracked, that happened most likely because they froze, in which case I would check your engine also. It may be cracked also. You can post your engine and drive questions in the inboard forum. Lots of knowledgeable people there willing to give you advice.

Have a great day,

Rob.

BoogieMan

Seaman Apprentice

not even sure if repairs are possible.
Have a great day,
Rob.

Yes depending on where the crack is and as I mentioned above "how cracked" the manifold is what I was saying is how big the crack is. It can be repaired. I didn't get to ask my father or any other relative that knows about the repair or the procedure so I looked it up on google. As an example this is a procedure (I listed below) that one guy mentioned on cars.

[QOUTE]Any decent welding shop should be able to do it

I have fixed quite a few in worse shape than yours.

1. The manifold should be glass or sand blasted clean.

2. Drill 1/8" holes at the ends of the cracks (this is called "stop drilling") to prevent the crack from lengthening when being welded.

3. Use a porting or similar tool, to grind a groove along the crack(s).

4. Preheat manifold in an oven at 450 degrees for about 30 minutes.

5. Remove to welding area and arc weld with NI rod. Weld about an inch, then change locations and weld another inch. This helps avoid overheating.

6. When finished bury in clean sand and allow to cool for several hours.

7. Have the manifold mounting surface blanch ground to provide a flat true surface.

-George[END Qoute]

As for my opinion, if it was me and I could get them repaired for cheaper then I could buy new manifolds I would have them repaired, just my 2 cents. Yes it can cause damage to your motor if the crack isn't properly repair. I rest my case.

Robj

Lieutenant

Really the question isn't whether it can be done or not, almost anything can be fixed, but is it practible and cost effective? A manifold is a wear item that most likely cracked because it froze. Therefore it may also be cracked inside, in which case you are correct it can also be welded. Cut it open, weld up all the cracks and weld it back together. Yes you fixed it, but it is a piece of junk that you threw out $$$ for. That process you posted is a general process for welding repairs on cast iron. If it was a $100,000 engine that was cracked then repairing may be worthwhile, but not a $250 manifold, that is most likely wore out anyways. Just buy a new one, it will be cheaper in the long run. I rest (not wrest) my case.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Bondo is right. Do not repair the manifolds..... replace them.

Water manifolds deteriorate from 2 directions outside in AND inside out. They weaken with age and use. A manifold with an unknown interior crack will allow water to infiltrate and could cause a hydraulic lock on a cylinder and the repair is not with the risk.

Just my opinion which carries little to less weight........ Replace them and be done with that job.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is usually a reason a free boat is FREE, it just costs too much to fix. Rotted transoms, and stingeres, cracked manifolds on a raw water cooled engine means it wasn't drained. So the block is probably the same way, only internally and the crankcase will fill with water the first time you run it.
You can block off the manifolds and pressure check the block to find out.
Then you have the drive, obviously the engine was never winterized, and if there is water in the drive, after setting for 10 years, it will be toast also.
Find out ALL that is wrong with it before you put any money into it.
You WILL find a running used boat is a lot cheaper than fixing a free one.

MISph1t

Recruit

Thanks for all the replies. I certainly have no illusions about a "free" boat being free. Like I said, the bleeding has already started in the $120.00 it cost me just to get it to my house.

After looking a little closer at the manifolds today I've decided that I will just replace them. Both are cracked and one is quite full of rust. They've been off of the motor for years. There is evidence of a repair being tried once before and I know that the engine ran after that repair. They were still leaking though and that is why it was decided to re-upholster and the boat was parked.

The floor is going to have to be completely replaced and I'm betting that based on how bad the floors are that the stringers are gone too.

The bench seat at the rear of the boat is also going to need to be rebuilt and re-upholstered.

I think the engine and drive unit are ok but I'll take a good look at them before I invest too much.

This will definitely be a family project with my two sons and my daughter chomping at the bit to help out. We'll say how long that lasts once the hard work starts! :)

I was initially hoping to have it going by this summer but realistically I'll be lucky to have it going by next summer.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'll get some "before" pictures up soon.

pontooner

Seaman Apprentice

You are all correct in saying that there is no such thing as a free boat. My Dad used to always say that " The best boat is your buddies boat":D

Good Luck with your project and keep us posted!!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey boogie man

bout thoes manifolds......uh......only if the crack is on the outside.

but if they are cracked on the outside.....they are probably cracked on the inside.....

AND CANNOT BE REPAIRED.....AT ALL!

bondo s one word answer is just about allways gospel.

i went thru the manifold headache for a year before i replaced them. tried everything....including the best welder these parts have to offer.

misphit.....if the manifolds are cracked it is usually caused by freezing...and it the engine froze.....check for water in the oil.....block could be gone too....

but imho its all worth it !

cheers
oops