My Winter Project

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer
Well, i've been asking some questions around the Mercury outboard forum, but I haven't shared my actual project.

Here it is. It is a 1971 Caravelle CX151 Trihull with an open bow, and walk-through windshield. It has a 1977 85 horse Mercury outboard that I recently brought back to life by rebuilding the fuel pump and carbs. The hull is rated for 85 HP max, so i'm thinking that it'll probably scoot.

So far I've done the following.

• Removed the 12 gallon aluminum fuel tank and old fuel lines. It was full of varnish and I'm more comfortable with portables.
  • Replaced the battery
  • Located parts and created a fuel line setup using the old Mercury engine connector and OMC style tank connectors. They were on clearance and available locally
  • Rebuilt fuel pump
  • Replaced all the under cowl fuel lines
  • Rebuilt both carburetors
  • Got it running!

I'm pretty sure my remaining tasks will be some minor hull cleanup, a new piece of vinyl for the floor, new control cables, and some minor trailer rewiring since none of it looks watertight. I'll also need a water pump impeller replacement and possibly a lower unit service. The floors are strong, with the exception of a small small area near the old fuel tank where i think condensed fuel has caused some of the glass matting to split up (about four inches square. Considering an epoxy repair).

One other issue. The speedometor pickup was trashed by a lawnmower collision, and although i know they're horibbly innaccurate, I'd still like to have a functioning guage in the dash. Hopefully i can source one from someplace nearby.

Basically i'm doing this to get into boating again as a hobby, not as a restorer. If my interest holds, I'll probably use this motor on another boat, preferably something that lends itself more to fishing.

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: My Winter Project

good find. speedo pitot or complete kits are available on ebay.

a70eliminator

Captain

Nice little boat, I have a 16' similar to your boat and it's great for fishing. I inregrated a livewell added some rod holders and built some extra storage here and there, fishfinder kicker motor mount on transom for trolling. I like it better than one of them flat deck bass boats, it may not be quite as maneuverable in the backwaters but it's alot more comfortable and to me thats everything. And one other thing, when the wind a waves kick up you'll be happy to be in what you've got rather than a bass boat.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

If my interest holds, I'll probably use this motor on another boat, preferably something that lends itself more to fishing.

I think that you'll find that boat lends itself quite well to fishing. Stable design while at rest, open, accessible deck, and even has a livewell port on the lower front side.

If you are looking for something along the likes of a bass boat, with a raised casting deck up front, you could add such a deck to that boat. It could either be permanent, or better yet, removable.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

I have tossed around the idea of building a removable casting deck up front.

I'm thinking that if i can get a template made, i can sandwich several sheets of marine plywood, carpet it, and install a seat. It would also save me the immediate hassle of having new cushions made. All of the vinyl seating in the boat is the original material. The bow cushions are exceptionally brittle. It's rated for six passengers but we all know that was for 1971 passengers and not 2007 folks. I'd like to replace the sun-lounge style seating with fold down seating for four, but I have no idea if the fiberglass floor will be strong enough to support the poles without major work. If i went with a permanent solution, i could easily install a live well in the bow footwell. The hull fitting on the starboard side is for the bow's drainplug, so i'm sure i could make that work.

I suppose i should see if it floats, first.