floor and transom removal progress and ?

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer
Re: floor and transom removal progress and ?

i was planning on using standard ply wood glued with resin the outter edges sealed with resin and an inner skin. one thing i notied was the transom was the inner skin only went to the floor and under the floor was exposed ply. i figure i want to glass it down to the hull.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

When shopping for plywood, I would recommend at least getting the best standard plywood you can get (A-A grade). It's not THAT much more expensive and you'll be glad you did in the end.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

thats a good idea, for the transom but for the floor ill probably go with c/b i havent yet purchased my materials but that time is going to be comming soon.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

thats a good idea, for the transom but for the floor ill probably go with c/b i havent yet purchased my materials but that time is going to be comming soon.

Why C/B on the floor? A/B or B/B would give you a much smoother finish.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

jcsercsa:

Plywood is being used in flooring beams extensively now, almost to the exclusion of NGW because of economics. When the direction of the ply is aligned correctly the "stiffness" of the material is an improvement over NGW. The thin center web of the beam is a wonderful use of the properties of plywood. One of the big bonuses in this aplication is that the least expensive material turns out to be the best use. I think you will find that most of the time, the top and bottom of these flooring and ceiling beams are of NGW. I personally have worked with ones that were all ply and they were perfectly fine. They were also used inside of a weathertight house, which is by far a better environment than aboard anyones boat.

The plywood beams also have very little "give" in them, the exact reason they are so sucessful in housing. That may not be the best thing for all parts of a boat. This is one reason that you will frequently find both NGW and plywood in the same boat.

Fiberglassing any wood will increase its strength and that increase is more than just adding up the strength of the fiberglass and the strength of the wood. Another example of this effect is ferro-cement. The effect will be the same if NGW or plywood is glassed.

I'm a wooden boat guy, yet I have to admit that the worlds supply of appropriate wood is rapidly diminishing. Plastic and aluminum boat building has come to the rescue for those of us that want to be on the water without spending the price of our house to get there.

jcsercsa

Captain

Hi all , External Ok i agree some what. but arent we trying to stiffen up the boat?? with the plywood ???? We want some flex but isnt it better if its stiffer ???? lol isnt that what She said too ???? lol sorry couldnt help that one !!!! do you get what I am trying to ask ?? And I have changed my mind on my stringers , I am going to use two , PVC deck boards on my outer stringers and I have a 2 by 12 that I have had in my shed for at least 10 years !!! so its nice and dry !! Now dont get me wrong also , I love wood I do some wood working, and I thought it was strange when I heard that plywood was stronger then wood !! Ok John