Mask for grinding glass and resin?

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
I have been using this 3M mask for protection from glass dust, http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/...s_ohes_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html , Im wondering if this is a good mask to use for this kind of thing? Im sorry about the direct link but its my safety here and i want as much input as i can get as i dont want to harm my lungs or my body by not using the proper equipment. I am wondering what the best mask is to use to protect yourself from fiberglass and resin dust in the air. I have been grinding all day now and i have had to clean the 2 filters a couple of times now. Im wondering if there is a better mask to use? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as this info would surely be useful to a lot of people. As for me i hope that this is a ok mask to use for this as i said i have been grinding all day now! Thanks again everyone! Maybee someone should re-write this and make is stickey. It is not that often that you see something like this discussed that has to do with safety equipment when working on rebuilds. Thanks!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mask for grinding glass and resin?

Hi DrewMitch44,
I use the higher end disposable type dust masks with the small respirator plug in them. I'm not so much concerned about fumes, as I work in a well ventilated shop or outdoors. The full face respiator like yours will work, but for dust it is overkill, IMHO. The respirator type dust masks don't fog up my safety goggles as much as the plain ones... 8-()
- Scott

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

That one is for organic vapors, such as poly and epoxy resin, paints, etc. You want one with particle filters, the 3 M half face masks have replacable cartridges, you can take those off and put on the P-100 filters, which are much larger pink circular filters that are for particles like 'glass fibers.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Even the cheapest of dust masks sold by the carton at such places as Lowes is adequate for glass and polyester/epoxy resin dust. That is if and only if you can effect a good seal around your mouth and nose.

I also use a half mask when I am grinding fiberglass as it stays on my face better. I use the simple pre filters on the mask and replace them after five to ten hours. That is usually how long it takes me to load them up when I am sweating on them. If I am watching someone else do the labor then the simple paper dust mask like some people wear while mowing the lawn suffices for me. Learn to do the fit test for the mask and do it every time you put the mask on. Leakage around the edge of the mask makes the mask virtually useless.

I am a retired Certified Hazardous Materials Manager so the proper selection of masks is very important to me. No need to waste money on overkill though and having an organic vapor cartridge on for this use will give you no more protection and the OVC will have to be replaced every so many hours even if it is never exposed to organic vapors. Ordinary air has enough stray chemicals to load any type of cartridge eventually.

If you plan on doing a bunch of this type of work and you want to continue using the half face respirator, you might have your doctor give you a pulmonary function test to see if using one is safe for you. It is cheap insurance if you fail the test and is only about the cost of a couple sets of the organic vapor cartridges.

I am glad you are concerned about your long term health. Even if you would not care about yourself, those whom you would leave behind should never have to watch someone die of silicosis.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I agree with what's been said so far and if you still want to use that mask there are pre filters for dust that fit it. I normally wear a dust mask when grinding or sanding, not the cheapest ones because they tend to fog up your glasses, but the ones with a vent in the front for your breath escape through.

One thing about polyester resin is that you can smell it long before you reach the level needed for manditory use of a respirator in the work place, and this is for people using it all day, every day.

When I started nobody used any type of protection, no gloves, no respirators and maybe only a dust mask during heavy grinding and we bathed in acetone. I don't know of any body that actually had any real health issues due to it, what killed them was the drugs and alcohol, not the resin fumes.

A good fit is very important with any mask, if you can see a trail of dust at the side of your nose the fit is not correct, or if you have a facial hair the fit can be tricky.

Now don't get me wrong, you need to use every method available to protect yourself and family, but just because you can smell the resin does not mean you're going to have some health issue in the near future.