to buy or not to buy

nick.wright

Seaman Apprentice
hi all,

need help making up my mind. I want to sell my jon boat and upgrade to a small skiff. My neighbor has a 14' ski barge w/ 35hp johnson that he wants to sell ($1000) BUT it needs a floor. I really like the layout/style but im not sure if this boat is worth it. PLEASE HELP ME MAKE MY MIND UP!!!!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: to buy or not to buy

What have you done to check out the engine? What year is it? Is the boat glass or al? Can you replace the floor without taking the cap off? Trailer included? Pictures?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Most of the time, the floor is the only VISIBLE issue. If the floor is rotted, there's a very good chance there is more rot underneath. Stringers and transom should be inspected very closely. Look it over and if you notice any other question marks, you've got bargaining leverage...
- Scott

D

DJ

I am familiar with the boat. As stated, if the floor as bad, you might as well figure on doing a complete rebuild.

If the engine is strong and looks good, that is worth a good portion of that $1K, not to mention the trailer.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

check out that transom too!

when dj said complete rebuild...he ment complete!

but if you like the boat......

oops

CapriRestorer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would check out everything in the boat. If the transom is bad, then I would walk away. If it is good, then you will have to be comitted to the boat (project).

CapriRestorer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would check out everything in the boat. If the transom is bad, then I would walk away. If it is good and you decide to buy it, then you will have to be comitted to the boat (project). Expect to do repairs you didn't plan for.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

As a comparison, I bought a very nice 14' Lowe Big Jon (1995) with a good running Evinrude 25 (mid-80's) for $1200 plus a kayak worth about $400. The boat was custom rigged with 2 folding seats, a side console and included an old (but useable) trailer. All aluminium, no platform. I thought that was a good deal. He had originally listed it for $2100.

If you're serious about it, look at the existing floor carefully and make an informed decision. My guess is he'll take less than a grand. Or better yet, offer him the full price with the floor fixed- PROPERLY. That'll save you the effort!