Whats the best grinder wheel type to use??

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
I been grinding 32 hours so far. I have been using black and decker "metal grinding" wheels on the angle grinder. They work pretty well but is there a better wheel to use on glass/wood/hardened resin? these metal grinding wheels work ok so far but not sure if there is a better way. There is also a "metal cutting" wheel that i've seen. Other than that thats all i have seen. I have been getting them at wallyworld cause they are cheap and come in a 3-pak for like 4 bucks or something like that. Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Whats the best grinder wheel type to use??

what are you doing with it?

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

glass, wood, hardened resin

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

36 grit sanding disc. will cut the heck out of it. HD & Lowes has it

dancudayo

Seaman

I found that the "flap discs" for angle grinders work a lot better than the metal disc grinders. I have found them at Ace hardware, not sure if I've seen them at homedepot or lowes. The only thing i dont like about the angle grinders is that it doesn't leave a level surface, I guess you could go back over the area with a d.a. sander and some 80 grit. Good luck to you!

BillP

Captain

32hrs grinding on most trailer boat projects is a long time...long, long time...long, long, long time. Ditto on 36 grit. It eats glass stringer beds like glass eats grinders...so keep your grinder's innards blown clean with compressed air often.

jcsercsa

Captain

Hi all , well I used a 6 inch mansory cut off wheel on my angle grinder, It didnt leave it very level but man it sure did eat the glass on the rest of the stringers !!! and it did leave it level enough I dont think i will have to do anymore grinding,,,, you just have to be very carefull not to grind to far in to it !!!!! I added a pic , John

Attachments

• boat 10 at low.jpg
    boat 10 at low.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Get a diamond "dry" wheel from Harbor Freight. If you have a double insolated grinder run a little water with it and make darn sure you are using a mask.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

hello,

i do all dusty grinding with a shop vac close whenever possible. also when i air blow clean eninges etc that are dusty dirty as for initial clean ups.

if the project was mine, i would use a one hand hold grinder and also run the shop vac. no doubt a good respirator is in order, too. not sure i would grind into fg with only a cloth mask...

good luck,

regards

lakester :cool:

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

The mask im using is a 3M one with the 2 filters on eather side. It has the outlet thing in the middle that works like a check valve. I have been putting one of those cloth masks on first then that 3M mask thing. I also have goggles safty goggles that cover around my eyes also. Man it gets thick though. Im in the garage with the door wide open and its cold as ****. But id rather be cold than pushing a oxygen tank around. You think that the mask im using is good for what im doing?? http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/...s_ohes_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html Sorry about the link but its my safety and i want someone to give me feedback as soon as possible im making a lot of dust and i dont want to hurt my lungs or my body!!! thanks a lot guys!!!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Really im just wondering what is the best mask to use? I wont go too cheap if it will save my lungs and body from harm!

BillP

Captain

I use an earlier version of that mask and it's fine. It has to fit right but can be used for way worse than grinding dust. Just remember to buy the right filters.

bp

erikgreen

Captain

What I've found works best for removal of glass and paint is the 3m "sandblaster" flap disks... you have to buy a quick-change adapter for them unlike the regular flap disks, but they do seem to last a lot longer. 36 grit for really tough glass/rust removal, 60 or so for most jobs.

Be warned that they will cut FAST, so be careful not to remove more than you want.

For cutting off chunks of glass, get a set of the super thin metal cutoff disks (I have a second, cheaper grinder I keep one in).. they go through glass like a knife.

I've found that the standard metal grinding disks like you'd use to shape steel are pretty worthless for glass... best case they grind ok for a couple minutes, but then they heat up enough to melt the resin and clog. Useful for grinding metal to shape, but that's about it.

I use one of the 3m VOC respirator masks for grinding... the charcoal filters have a fixed lifetime once opened, but they'll still filter particles nicely, and are more comfortable and work better than the paper dust masks. They also let more air through, which is big for me.

Make sure you use long sleeves when possible, ideally cover exposed skin beforehand with talcum or gold bond or a barrier cream, and start your shower with cold water. All this is a pain, but it'll keep the itching to just a few spots here and there instead of all down your arms and such.

By the way, this process will cover everything in the general area with a fine white dust. Ideally use an OSHA dust collector on your grinder and attach it to a shop vac, it'll save you cleanup.

Erik