Fiberglass damage in bilge

rhgoudeau

Cadet
I have a 1996 Ranger R70 Sport with fiberglass damage in the bilge from battery acid. I have had a problem with my on-board battery charger boiling the batteries (another problem altogether). The bilge stays wet all the time. Now the gelcoat (?) inside the bilge has cracks, and I can pull chips off where the fiber is exposed below. I didn't know fiberglass would react like this to battery acid. Has anyone ever encountered this? And how serious is it? Does this require professional attention, or can I just remove the loose surface and repair?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fiberglass damage in bilge

you need to find out how far it goes.

rhgoudeau

Cadet

tashadaddy,
It looks like it's just on the surface, I can pry chips off with a screwdriver, and expose the fiber below, maybe 1/8" deep. I am worried about how far the battery acid may have seeped, and maybe softened the bottom.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

To effect repair of that area, it needs to be bone-dry and sanded clean. Since the area is in the bilge, the repair does not need to be showroom quality. Dry out the area, sand it with course sandpaper, wipe it with acetone. Now paint the area with catalysed polyester resin and lay a piece of cloth or mat and saturate with resin. Two pieces of cloth should be effective as a repair. Fill the weave of the cloth with resin, and cover with poly putty or gelcoat, if desired.

rhgoudeau

Cadet

Thanks, it helps to get other opinions. That's kinda what I was planning.

Robj

Lieutenant

Rather than sand, I would take out the grinder with a 36 grit disc. Grind the effected area until you are down to solid, unaffected glass. Then repair with resin and cloth. Or depending on how deep it is, you can use matt and a layer of WR on top. I would probably use matt for my first layer because it tends to stick better to the old area than cloth. Depending on the boat, and the original construction, maybe a couple of layers of matt is all that is required. Just make sure you do not grind through the hull while you are doing this.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Speakrdude

Ensign

Are you close to the factory? I had the same problem with my 94 model 354XT along with a few other cracked lid problems. Took to the factory, fixed all, no charge.

Coors

Captain

Probably wouldn't hurt to wipe it with a baking soda solution either.

rhgoudeau

Cadet

Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to neutralize the acid.