Pics of My stringers, Need advice!!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
I tried a couple of days ago to upload my pics of my stringers but the pics were too large. I've updated my shareaproject page. The last 4 pics there are of the work ive done the other day. Im wondering what you guys think. It looks like someone replaced them recently but they used 2 X 6's and it looks like a pretty crappy job. You can see my shareaproject page below on my link at the bottom of my post. Any input would be appreciated. I put info in the description part of each pic there so i dont want to put it here and make you read it 2 times. Thanks for any input you can give me!!!!

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pics of My stringers, Need advice!!

I can say and not from experience but if you think its done wrong and can do it better i would do it all from scratch. You have the deck off and can get at it and do it correctly. Sure it might take you more time and money but i think in the end you will feel more safe and confident with the project knowing that its done right. If it were me and i didnt correct it and i thought it was wrong it would always be in the back of my mind. So basically what im saying is if you dont like it fix it and do it the correct way and then you have no worries and know you wont have to do it again. Plus you did most of the hard work already in removing the deck. Good luck and keep the pics coming, im following your rebuild very closely.

drewpster

Commander

I would first evaluate the condition of the stringers before proceeding. Use an ice pick to look for wet spots in the glass. Start at each end of the stringers and press the tip of the pick into the surface of the glass every couple of inches or so. If the glass gives, or you are able to penetrate the glass anywhere, the stringers are likely rotten in that spot. You can also use a small drill bit and drill into the stringers to check for wet cores. (don't go crazy, you will have to fill and glass over the holes later)
If you do find rot in a localized area you can repair it without replacing the whole stringer. If you find that the problem is wide spread you may decide to do all if the stringers or possibly the whole grid. But I would check close first. It's allot of work replacing them.
Whatever you do, make sure water can drain properly before putting the deck back down.

jcsercsa

Captain

I agree if you want to do it right your going to have to do it !!! On my boat she didnt have any drainage eather, So I am doing new stringer then next to the stringers i am going to cut a piece of pvc in half , the long way. then glass that in next to the center stringer, then the frist layer of floor with some holes in it so i can pour faom in the cavity , then the next floor !!!! hope this helps have fun John

Old Salt Oz

Seaman
Re:stringers, Need advice!!

Re:stringers, Need advice!!

G'day Drew,
Its a bit hard to see but it looks like standard resins were used over the timber, this will not stick long term and will part under stress.

Standard poly resins over stringers is fine provided the stringer is not made of timber. Early boat builders used timber because it was cheap and available, however they now know it will not stick long term because of the natural oil in the timber and the fact that water will eventually penetrate standard resins and the timber will rot.

Most small stringers now contain foam that is used to used to form the required shape of the stringer and extra glass is applied to replace the missing timber, resulting in a much lighter and stronger stringer that will last.

Timber can be used provided its treated first; this means it MUST be very dry and epoxy resin applied to seal it against moisture ingress.

Thinning the epoxy resin helps penetration, this can be done by adding Methylated spirits to the resin after the resin and hardener has been mixed, you can add up to 40% by volume or weight as the variation between both is very small.

End grain will require a lot more coats as the resin is drawn into the timber, this is very noticeable if ply is used. A mixture or epoxy resin and Micro-Fibres makes a very strong and water resistant glue when you join two sheets of ply to get extra thickness.

You can avoid a lot of washing and sanding between coats of epoxy by applying wet on tacky.

Also note:
Epoxy resin will produce a stronger bond to standard poly resins than Standard poly over poly will. However, poly resins should not be applied over epoxy resin as the bonding will be poor, always use epoxy over epoxy; and remember that most epoxy resins need a coat of paint to protect them from UV light.

I hope this helps.

Andavagoodnewyear......

Robj

Lieutenant

Sorry Old Salt Oz,

But poly resins work and stick to wood fine providing they are applied properly on dry wood, and personally if it were my boat that is what I would use and did use. It is significantly cheaper and if done properly, will last much longer than you probably care to keep the boat.

With regards to redoing the stringers, you have already done most of the work. If you plan on keeping the boat for more than 5 years, then I would probably redo them. I used PT douglas fir ply for my stringers with poly resin. What about the transom?? What shape is it in??

Have a great day,

Rob.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Rob,
Every boat I have had to rebuild used poly resins. Anywhere the poly resins were used to join wood parts to the hull, the wood parts were loose and the poly was largely un-stuck from the wood. I did not have to dig the old stringers out - they pulled out by hand. Long term, poly simply does not stick to wood very well. Poly is a molding agent - not a glue...
- Scott

BillP

Captain

I've done a few vintage glass rebuilds and have the opposite view of those who say poly doesn't stay bonded to wood. If the wood stayed dry the glass stayed bonded. If it stayed wet or was rotten the glass didn't stay bonded.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Ok i added a couple of new photos as im still grinding and you get a better idea of what the stringers look like now. Im making progress now but man is it time consuming!! Now i think im going to leave the wood thats there. The previous owner replaced the stringers and just used resin on the stringers with no glass at all. As im grinding the resin off im really supprised at the condition of the wood thats there. If the rest of the wood looks like this i will most likely leave whats there and glass them properly and call it good! Take a look if you wish the link is at the bottom. Thanks a lot guys!!!

jcsercsa

Captain

What about drainage to the back ???? John