Painting a boat

yam350yfm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
From what I understand about gelcoat is that it is used because it is also a fiberglass release agent so it saves time in the building process. There are many new marine paints that are enamel and I have seen some imron paints for boats. I talked to a guy that built custom boats in the late 50's and 60's and he said he used lacquer. I see that Duplicolor has a system that includes the primer, paint, and clearcoat with no mixing or thinning. It is a lacquer system and can be resprayed anytime. I checked with Duplicolor and the system is compatible with fiberglass. Does anybody know if lacquer would hold up on a boat that is used maybe 30 hours per year?

What about the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of coating, gelcoat, enamel, imron, lacquer, etc?

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Painting a boat

I would be VERY wary of using lacquers, the solvent used is designed to soften or "eat into" the base finish for adhesion. Imron is a two part urethane, not unlike the marine paints available. Most automotive finishes aren't designed for marine use, if you are positive you will use the boat that little , you can probably get away with an automotive finish.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

many people use automotive finishes of boats, that are trailered. the main thing is the storage. keeping them covered.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what happens if the new paint looks so good every one wants a ride?
you go from 30 hrs to 100 in no time

stick to tried and true my friend!
imho

opps

oops!

Supreme Mariner

oh and welcome to i boats!

yam350yfm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the equipment to spray lacquer, not sure if any of the enamels or silicone paints can be sprayed. I think my other concern with lacquer is that, back in the day when it was used on custom cars that it cracked and faded over time. Didn't stop to think about the flexing of the fiberglass while underway. The lacquer might not look so good after a couple of outings. I saw some silicone paint that us supposed to hold up well and can be brushed on. Many of the enamels look like they can be brushed or rolled. Not sure how good that really looks when you do the entire boat. Would prefer to spray it on.

I have my work cut out on this project. The boat is all original and dates back to the late 60's or early 70's. I got it from the original owner, but he could not remember when he got it. Titles were not required and the registration shows N/A for the year. It is a Lund but manufactured by Shell Lake Boats. The were shut down in the 80's.

The plan is to paint the boat and rebuild a 1957 18hp Fast Twin Johnson. It is a project with my younger son. I think we both will learn a lot and want the finished boat to look good!

I'm glad I found this site as it is very helpful. The first step is the engine rebuild, followed by repair of some minor scrapes in the 'glass, complete sanding, and paint. Then the interior will get a casting deck and 2 fishing seats.

Attachments

• Small Lund1.jpg
    Small Lund1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Until I got involved with boats, I like you belived the only way to apply that "perfect" finish was with spray. The marine paints can be applied ( believe it or not ) with a roller and a brush in a technique called roll and tip and give really superb results. If you really want to go automotive I'd suggest an enamel or two part urethane, the lacquer gets too brittle. Remember the days of lacquer on cars? Looked great but one tiny stone broke out a big piece, fiberglass flex may cause trouble.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if thats you project. rustoleum. works great, with the semi gloss, easy to touch up.

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

A while back someone posted a link to a video on youtube about boat paint. I dont remember all the details but they showed a demo of 3 diffrent paints. Installation looked easy and the finish looked outstanding. found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGCgZfuPb1A
Also some of the paint shown on video available here on i boats

LeftFeild

Cadet

lacquers, burn up in the atmosphere, rustsometing is for mentally challenged. Find a marine paint, pay the due's and get on with life

BillP

Captain

Laquer is best for antique show cars. Use standard oil based enamel if you want what most boats used in the 40s & 50s & 60s. Porch and deck type or marine enamel...but today's single part polyurethanes are way better...user friendly and last 10x as long as laquer. They can be sprayed, rolled or brushed and to minor limits rubbed out and buffed. $30+ -qt.

Nandy

Commander

rustsometing is for mentally challenged.

How is so? Plenty of boat users has paint with it from trailers to boats. If you don't properly prep the boat it will not yield good results. Will you care to elaborate?

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Here's something I don't understand, and maybe yam doesn't either. What exactly is tip and roll, and how does it differ from simply using a paint roller just like you would on the inside walls of your house?

drewpster

Commander

Roll/ tip is a paint application method that is used to apply marine polyurethane paints. Some paint manufacturers specifically design their paints to be applied this way. In fact Interlux claims that when done properly, in the right conditions, their poly paints yield a better finish when roll/ tipped rather than spraying.
The method consists of using a very short napped roller and a quality badger hair or china bristle brush to apply the paint. The roller is used to roll on a thin, even coat of paint in a small section. The roller will leave small bubbles and a rippled surface in the paint. Then the brush is used to lightly tip off the surface of the paint by brushing from top to bottom in single strokes. This will smooth the surface of the paint. Then the paint itself takes over, flowing out as it dries leaving a smooth shiney finish.
This seems like allot of steps I know. But after a little experience using marine poly paints you will see why this method is needed. Polyurethane paints act nothing like latex house paint in any way.
The pic below is an example of the finish Interlux Perfection two part poly can produce. This is what I got after ALLOT of prep and a single coat of Interlux Perfection. I will use any excuse to show it off.
I am no photographer, but the transom shows the reflection in the shine pretty good.

perfect3.jpg

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

That does look incredible! When you say a lot of prep work, what do you mean? Is sanding then cleaning with acetone not enough?

Also, I understand the roll part pretty well, but in the tip part, do you load up the brush with paint and then tip or do you tip with a dry brush? I'm just trying to envision it in my mind here.

LeftFeild

Cadet

How is so? Plenty of boat users has paint with it from trailers to boats. If you don't properly prep the boat it will not yield good results. Will you care to elaborate?

:D Actually plent of boater's do not use that junk for there boat's, now as to trailer's that is another story.

Since you seem to advocate that product name for fiberglass boat's, could you plz post a link showing the type of paint rustholo recomends for boat's.

Just a after thought, of course.

LeftFeild

Cadet

Roll/ tip is a paint application method that is used to apply marine polyurethane paints. Some paint manufacturers specifically design their paints to be applied this way. In fact Interlux claims that when done properly, in the right conditions, their poly paints yield a better finish when roll/ tipped rather than spraying.
The method consists of using a very short napped roller and a quality badger hair or china bristle brush to apply the paint. The roller is used to roll on a thin, even coat of paint in a small section. The roller will leave small bubbles and a rippled surface in the paint. Then the brush is used to lightly tip off the surface of the paint by brushing from top to bottom in single strokes. This will smooth the surface of the paint. Then the paint itself takes over, flowing out as it dries leaving a smooth shiney finish.
This seems like allot of steps I know. But after a little experience using marine poly paints you will see why this method is needed. Polyurethane paints act nothing like latex house paint in any way.
The pic below is an example of the finish Interlux Perfection two part poly can produce. This is what I got after ALLOT of prep and a single coat of Interlux Perfection. I will use any excuse to show it off.
I am no photographer, but the transom shows the reflection in the shine pretty good.

perfect3.jpg

Now all you have to do is follow up with the top side, and you will have something on your hand's you never (perhaps) anticipated.( Very Classy)

BillP

Captain

The bar has been somewhat raised on roll and tip. Many are using foam rollers without tipping the entire surface. It looks equal (and usually better) but getting coverage high on the hull where it meets the deck often needs the touch of a brush.

bp

drewpster

Commander

I would go into more detail but I am in a bit of a rush at the moment. Here is a link to the Interlux website. It has good info on the process they recommend, including video.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

You may get a little ad popup on thier "perfection" paint. Close that, and it will take you to the home page.

They also have videos showing basic prep and application teqniques.
I will check the thread and help any way I can.

Nandy

Commander

:D Actually plent of boater's do not use that junk for there boat's, now as to trailer's that is another story.

Since you seem to advocate that product name for fiberglass boat's, could you plz post a link showing the type of paint rustholo recomends for boat's.

Just a after thought, of course.

Sounds like an opinion, not a fact. That is why I asked you for the reason not to use it. Something like is not durable, not great quality... No just a blank statement. If you search here you will find that rustoleum is advised by quite a few of the users here, some of which have several restorations under their belt. I have used it in the past in an aluminum boat, which looks like that is what the op has. Rustoleum has also paints for fiberglass boats. You can search for the recommendations yourself. You should do some research before calling "mentally challenged" a lot of very knowledgeable folks. You did not seem to be way too high in the ladder. ;)

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGBrand.asp?bid=13'