outboard to inboard

76GT150

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1976 glastron gt 150 that doesn't have a motor and I just bought a 19ft boat that the owner thought the motor was locked up but it was the starter that was locked up not the motor. I got it for 50 dollars so it was the right price. So I am currently removing the motor out of the big boat which is an inboard volvo 4cyl with volvo penta drive and going to put it in my 15 ft gt 150. Any suggestions other than don't do it or fix the 19 footer up.:)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: outboard to inboard

Ayuh,.........

I believe you're going to run out of Transom before you get the drive mounted.........

Those old Glastrons have a mighty short transom for an I/O.......

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

plus they don't have the stringer capacity, and lay out to mount the engine.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

What is wrong with the 19ft boat? It sounds like you are fighting a loosing battle trying to put that inboard into an out board hull. If nothing else if that 19ft boat is in that bad of shape then try to find another hull or sell the motor and outdrive and put the money toward buying you a whole boat. Even though finding another hull doesn't mean that it is going to be in mint condition.

76GT150

Seaman Apprentice

Im going to cut the splashwell out and where the top of the boat is not where the transom stops but where the top of the boat is im extending the transom to that point which will give me 30 inches the drive unit is 20 inches tall at the gimble plate so I have 10 inches to play with.

The other boat doesn't have a title its salvage nor worth redoing. No floor or stringers or glass or gas tank.

Plus I like the look of the gt 150 and already own it!! You have to admit if it will work it will be one cool boat!!! A lot of fabrication of new stringers and motor mounts and transom but if you put your mind to it you can do anything.

tommays

Admiral

I wold not do it ;)

But i would find out which Volvo you have as if it is and older Rubber Band Motor you will NOT like the part prices

Or it could be a more modern GM 3.0 based :confused:

Tommays

QC

Supreme Mariner

Make the gt150 right, leave her OB. Cool boat.

Your project reminds me of the time another mechanic didnt have the proper ford radiator hose but had one made for a chevy. He wanted to finish the repairs and when someone told him he didnt have the right hose he said "Im goin to make it work" . I say switch it the best way you can and learn more about the hobby of boating and stuff:D just maybe you will get to enjoy a nice boat ride..:D................................then maybe you wont....

76GT150

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks im not your average person im always tinkering with something I just got done with an airstream camper it was 29 ft long I cut 19 ft out of the center and riveted it back together for a 10 ft long airstream. Great weekend camper.

I like to build things that are unique not the same thing every tom, **** and harry have. Put my own touch to it. I know the boat is small but with all my measurements I have done I will still be able to put 4 seat's back in it and where the motor is I can put a small sundeck for my wife to lay on hopefully.

Im just worried about the weight of the drive and motor I might sit them in the glastron and take it to the boat ramp to see about how low it will sit in the water for all I know it will just sink:eek:

Your right it might run great or just suck big time but I can't let it get in my way of doing it.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks im not your average person im always tinkering with something.
I like to build things that are unique not the same thing every tom, **** and harry have. Put my own touch to it.
Your right it might run great or just suck big time but I can't let it get in my way of doing it.

Ayuh,...........

If I didn't Know Better,................

I'd think that I wrote that.......................................;)

76GT150

Seaman Apprentice

Hey bond-o do you happen to know about how much a volvo penta drive and 4cyl motor weighs? So you like to tinker to :D

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I don't know what the VP unit weighs, but I dare say it'll weigh at least twice what any outboard you'd put on there would weigh, plus the weight of heavier stringers and a box to cover it all. You'd have the boat sitting very low in the water, and that's already a fairly low boat as it is. The 150 is a light boat with a performance hull and adding that much weight to the butt-end will really mess up the center of gravity. You're welcome to try it - it's your boat, but I don't think you'll be happy with it when you're done...
- Scott

Bondo

Staff member

Hey bond-o do you happen to know about how much a volvo penta drive and 4cyl motor weighs?

Ayuh,.......
It's pretty hard to say,.... You haven't told us Which Volvo 4 cylinder,+ drive you've got.........

Chinewalker says Twice the weight of the old Outboard,........
I'm thinking it'll be closer to 4X the weight.........

The "Tinkerer" in Me says a 150hp Tower of Power would make that GT-150 a Sweet ride.......

76GT150

Seaman Apprentice

77gl-carlson-cvx16ss.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is a glastron/carlson cv16 that is 16 ft long and looks a lot like my boat with a 4 cyl mercury inboard and drive so I think I have a pretty good chance of this working for me if almost the same boat that is only 1 ft longer than mine works from the factory.

76GT150

Seaman Apprentice

Well I set the drive and motor in the gt 150 hull and took it to the boat ramp saturday to see if it will sink or float. It didn't sink in the water no deeper than when the outboard was in it:D so the project is on I should get to cutting the transom in about 2 to 3 weeks.

pontooner

Seaman Apprentice

Keep us posted as to the progress. Also pics if possible. It nice to see something like this come together. ;) Thanks

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Hey 76GT150, how far along are you? Do you have the motor mounted yet or anything? Im pretty interested in how this turns out. Do you have any pics becides the one that was kinda like your boat but nothing like it? I really am interested in how this thing is going to turn out. Its got me curious like as if someone was going to put a weedwacker motor on a riding lawn mower. Or its something like making a solar powered wind chime. You should start a shareaproject page so we can see the work in progress. And did you say that you had it in the water already? How did it go? Becides that it didnt sink.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sure hope you have a template so you get the transom shield in there at the proper X dimension. If you don't have a template (they are paper) get one. Much cheaper than another transom.
What engine model and outdrive model are you using?

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I just got one of those solar powered wind chimes. Then im gong to hang my motor with duct tape. Then im going to put a mouse driven wheel under the cowling and take out my V-4 powerhead and put the mouse driven wheel in there. I was getting tired of servicing the oil injection anyways. The mouse on the wheel has less weight than the 4 strokes. and then im going to put the impeller from my bilge pump on the lower unit and mount the prop on the bilge pump so it will pump more water out of the hull if i get swamped from the mouse and wheel. That mouse sometimes will just stop and water splashes over my transom. I tell you what though he can get going at about 4500 SPM (Steps Per Minute). I have been giving him synthetic food and since i switched to synthetic food ill never look back!! His name is herman! And I Love Him!!!