Opening a bow?? will the haul hold??

stevendangusa

Recruit
I saw a couple of opening the bow threads. will the bottom haul hold up with out the top? is it a good idea to do it? I was just wondering if the bottom structure is strong enough. Or does it depend on the boat??

Thanks.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Opening a bow?? will the haul hold??

good question.
check the threads.
i know the cap is part of the integrity of the hull.
proper bracing should get you thru.

good luck

hmcs titanic:D

maxum247

Lieutenant

I saw a couple of opening the bow threads. will the bottom haul hold up with out the top? is it a good idea to do it? I was just wondering if the bottom structure is strong enough. Or does it depend on the boat??

Thanks.
Not real sure what you have in mind after removing the top but in general,
you will need to put something back in most cases to make up for whats removed. Not that hard to do, but can take some time. Take a lot of pictures before you take anything apart, so you will have them for reference while building back.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you are asking if the bottom of the new compartment will hold up, then for the most part yes, but it could vary by brand of boat. Some may just be exposed plywood inside, others may have a light skin of glass over plywood and others could be all glass. You just have to look and see, but any of these can be modified by adding more glass to make it more than strong enough. While just cutting a hole in the deck will have very little affect on the hull, it may affect the surrounding deck area a great deal, so extra support may be needed.