Mahogany Decking Material

Runamuc

Cadet
I have an opportunity to pick up some cheap mahogany for my project (~100 sq ft @ $40). The boards are standard 1 x 4's that were part of a 14 X 14 ft outdoor deck, and besides having a couple nail holes every two feet, they are in excellent condition. The exact species is not known, but I assume it is standard outdoor deck stock.

I'd like to apply a veneer on my project boat's decks (1/8' thick, made by ripping 3/4" stock twice) and I'm thinking here's a chance to pick up some stock on the cheap.

I'm wondering if there are any species of mahogany, like typical outdoor deck stuff, that should be avoided in boats? If not good for laminating decks, may be able to use for other stuff, like side curtains, seats, etc. Any information on what typical mahogany species are used for common outdoor deck material would be appreciated.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• boat 2 111107.jpg
    boat 2 111107.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 4111107.jpg
    boat 4111107.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mahogany Decking Material

you need to rip to 1x2 the then rip 3/8 thickness, and dress out with planer to 1/4 thickness, 4 inch will be hard to work with on the curved surfaces. that old it is going to eat up a blade.

there are many varieties of mahogany, and the you have the grades, luan plywood is a type of mahogany, just a poor grade.

Runamuc

Cadet

I was thinking I could rip the boards twice and end up with (after planing) stock that would be 1/8" thick. And, I was thinking that 1/8" stock would bend rather easily. The nice thing is, I would effectively tripple the number of square feet I could cover (3 veneer boards per, 1/8" X 3 3/4")... which makes me wonder if this wood will be OK as a laminate over the curved plywood hull, as well as the top decks, which are essentially flat.

The 14' X 14' deck should yield about 150 square feet of useable 1 X 4" boards. By slicing them up, I think I'd have enough veneer to do the hull and the decks of my 15' project boat. My rough guess is I would need about 250 square feet of veneer, and have the rest to make side curtains.... reasonable?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you don't want to laminate over plywood, all you are doing is inviting voids to fill with water, and create rot.

Runamuc

Cadet

you don't want to laminate over plywood, all you are doing is inviting voids to fill with water, and create rot.

Well, that's interesting.... I've read a few threads here and other sites where that was done. Am I missing something?

I thought a coat or two of epoxy applied on the plywood and then faired, followed by a veneer of mahogany epoxied to the faired hull/decks, then another coat or two of epoxy all over, then 6-8 coats of varnish was the way to go.

What's the difference between laminating with wood and laminating with fiberglass? Are the risks of voids more prevalent with wood on wood? Any way(s) to mitigate?

Runamuc

Cadet

Check out this link and let me know if you still think I can't/shouldn't put a mahogany veneer over my plywood decks/hull? I'm open to any suggestions and always willing to learn.

http://glen-l.com/designs/hankinson/buildingmahogrunabouts.html

Here's another pretty good discussion on the use of bead and cove designed to make the joints a bit easier to fair.

http://www.glen-l.com/methods/methdstr.html

Anyhow, I'm gonna run with it.... sawned to 1/8 or 3/16" thick, 2 1/2 wide for decking and 3 3/4 for the hull. I think it'll look great and should be plenty strong.

Ben

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow that boat is sweet in the link. Good luck with yours. I would love to see some pictures as you go.

TD is very knowlwdgeable and usually on the money, but I cant see a problem the way you want to do it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I am laminating 1/8 inch veneers over plywood. Not to contradict Tashasdaddy, but very common in the boat builder world. I agree, epoxy at every layer, and good fairing will make a very sound boat and should eliminate voids. I just got my veneers today . . . $480 for 180 Sq. ft. :eek: