Best approach for thick fiberglass buildup?

iron21

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, i need to make some fiberglass repairs to a large flat area. Whats the the best way for a thick build-up, around 1/4" thick?
i figure for a .25" glass build up, i would need to use about 20+ layers of fiberglass mat..
Is there any easy way to do this?
thanks

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Best approach for thick fiberglass buildup?

Is it a horizontal or vertical area? Epoxy or polyester resin? I figure you only need about 8 or 9 layers as they are about 1/32" each layer. Alternate layers of glass mat and glass cloth and it'll be as strong or stronger than original. There is a simple video on youtube that'll give you the basics.

iron21

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its a horizontal area about 2'x2' in my floor(not rot).. i'm going to repair the area, then add a nice thick patch of glass over it to make it in-line with the surrounding/existing floor. i will most likely use epoxy resin as i will need the strength. its obviously better to add all the layers in at once as opposed to add a layer, let drie, add a layer..etc. right?
thanks!

SFT2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't let the previous layer cure before adding the next. Green is ok (still sticky, but firm), but if you let a layer cure you only get a mechanical bond with the next layer. If it's wet or green when you add the next, it'll be one big piece.

Bondo

Staff member

i would need to use about 20+ layers of fiberglass mat..

Ayuh,..........

Not alot of Strength either,.....

Throw a couple of layers of Cloth or Roving in it,....
That'll thicken it quicker,+ yield Good Strength............

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Strength?

Bi-axial Fabric :

18 oz. Fiberglass roving stitched to a 1.5 oz. chopped strand mat, this fabric quickly adds strength and buildup while simultaneously aiding resin infusion. Because it is stitched rather than woven, there are no crimps to hinder resin travel. But don?t use it just for infusion; Knit Bi-axial fabric is commonly used in the marine world and other applications.

618.jpg

linky poo:

http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-Fiberglass+Mats,+Scrim,+and+Mat+Tapes-13.html

Ive got a sample sitting here. if looks and feels strong even without the resin.