pigment for epoxy paint ??

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Guys
Can epoxy paint be tinted? Should it be done? Does anyone have any experience doing it? I wanted to use Interlux's new VC performance paint, but their technical people do not recommend it! My boat is trailered most of the time. Except for a week or two while I'm vacationing. It's always used in fresh water, so there's no need for anti-fouling paint. The hull is one single color (beige) and I would like to keep it looking original. Any thoughts on this? :confused:

Thanks for your help!!

Ed

drewpster

Commander
Re: pigment for epoxy paint ??

I have to believe that the manufacturer has good reasons for not recommending pigmenting their paint. In my view it would be huge selling point if the paints could be easily pigmented. I have to assume that common pigments cannot be used.
Unless of course I am wrong and there is some greedy proprietary reason for it.
Not much help I know.
Compromising on a color that is not exactly what I want is better than unknowingly damaging the paint mixture in my view.

QC

Supreme Mariner

This thread is great timing for me as I am asking the same questions and have the same issue with the VC Performance. I think I have decided aganist any topside paints for my trailered boat. Have you looked into, or does anybody know about Pettit's new Vivid? Comes in more colors, and I can probably live with their basic red for what I am doing. Maybe it is more easily pigmented?

D

DJ

QC,

I've tried it, with dismal results. It does not seem to effect the paint but the color(s) come out pretty funky, for some reason.

My local ACE Hardware has a resident paint genious. She has tried for me, with limited results. I've gotten close but no exact match.

If you want to try, find a local ACE and give them a shot. As you can see I have a great relationship with my local ACE. They'll try anything for me. I'm a great customer.

I've also tried Lowe's and Home Depot. The HD people won't even talk to me but the Lowe's people tried. I do not frequent HD because of that and it's hard as they are only two blocks away.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, we have a new Ace, so I may try. The cool thing about the Vivid is that it is available in very strong colors. I may go with the standard red for the bottom.