no turning back now anchor hatch (pics)

a70eliminator

Captain
About 2 weeks of should I or shouldn't I just ended today. Now there's no question I have to. I'm trying to make it easy as possible to handle the anchor and the solution was to build a pit up in the bow for easy access and storage out of the way. I was tickled when I removed this section and found a big area with more than enough room for my anchor rode and all, now just have to design some sort of inner box and come up with a plan to hinge the top cover and latch keeping it all flush and waterproof. Any ideas that mignt help me would be appreciated, I have no specific plan just figuring it out as I go. thanks.

Attachments

• bow 003.jpg
    bow 003.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
  • bow 002.jpg
    bow 002.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
  • bow 004.jpg
    bow 004.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 0

redfury

Commander
Re: no turning back now anchor hatch (pics)

The inner box will be the bigger problem if you have zero access to that area other than the hole you cut.

As far as hinging and securing the lid, you can use a stainless piano hinge and put a lip around the hole. All depends on your aesthetics and ability.

a70eliminator

Captain

Thanks for the interest. I do have limited access from below through another hatch, I'm thinking I fit carboard templates (forms) then just glass layup over and up the sides with some heavy roving mat, or I could fit a piece of plywood for the floor and just seal it in.

For me the hard part will be the door. I don't know how a piano hinge would work, I don't want it on the surface and I don't think it will work underneath? Attaching the hinge will be a task because I don't want any screw heads showing, I'll have to glass in whatever hinge I do use. That chunk of wood glassed in on the bottom of piece I've cut out will have to be ground down and removed so the lid is flat on the bottom to set nicely in the jamb I'm going to form.

I'll keep the photos comming as I progress.
Thanks for your input.

pduquette

Ensign

Hi a70e .
I've made forms for parts using plain old cardboard + duct tape . When the part looks "right " coat the surface to be glassed with the duct tape ( I used clear ) this will allow the part to be pulled from the form . if getting it through the hole is a hassle make it in 2 pcs .

Attachments

• 08-18-06_1504.jpg
    08-18-06_1504.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Are you wanting to have it hinged at all? Seems to me that you could just make it a pry-open hatch since you've got that cleat on top. (by the way, I'm hoping you're not planning to use that cleat to anchor or tow with, because I'm thinking that it's not going to be strong enough even if the hatch is hinged)

redfury

Commander

Are you wanting to have it hinged at all? Seems to me that you could just make it a pry-open hatch since you've got that cleat on top. (by the way, I'm hoping you're not planning to use that cleat to anchor or tow with, because I'm thinking that it's not going to be strong enough even if the hatch is hinged)

Yeah, great grab handle, bad place to tie off :lol:

I think what I would do is go to your local boat yard and see what the manufacturers have done with similar hatches. You may find that you want it to be hinged ( not have to worry about it sliding off the boat by accident ) or just twist locked into place ( like livewell hatches ).

A good place to check would be some of the online marine dealers and see if they carry something that might spark your creativity.

As far as laying up the inner hull with a holding area for the hatch...not a bad idea, just going to be awkward doing it through a small hole without making a mess on the outside I would think. Have lots of acetone and rags handy!

Perhaps you could get away with using polyurethane rigid foam to make panels for the inside of it and then lay up on top of that with a few heavy layers of glass ( don't forget to allow it to either drain or vent moisture ).

a70eliminator

Captain

Oh heck no that cleat's gone, I'm not that stupid.
There will be a cleat on either side of the hull beefed up from behind.
I'm thinking a pry open lid would be subject to being lost overboard.
thanks for the heads up

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I'm thinking a pry open lid would be subject to being lost overboard.

It would, unless you put attached a little bit of rope between the inside of the pry open lid and the underside on the lip of the container... this would act like a kind of a hinge, except no hardware would be visible from the deck, and you would have the flexibility to move the lid around to within whatever radius you set by the rope length.

You'd need some piece of hardware to tie the rope to, but you can get some really small cable holders and just epoxy them in place so that there's not even any screws to worry about.

That's what I'm planning to do for my anchor well when I build it (I'm not going quite as fancy as you, but I'm going to have a round hole with a bolt at the bottom that will attach to both the lid and the anchor line, that doesn't make sense in saying it, but it will make sense when you see it. I'll post some pics when it's finished, but that won't be for another year, too many other projects in the works that are of greater importance.)

a70eliminator

Captain

I had originally planned on just buying one of those watertight hatch covers from bomar but they are designed to be fit to a perfectly flat surface, it's hard to see in the photos but the surface has a contour radius and a flat hatch just wouldn't sit flush not to mention you can't find one in a trapazoid. I thought about a round access too but same issues with contour.

I guess exposed hinges would be ok in stainless with smooth edges just don't want it to look gaudy. I've been searching for web photos but not having much results.

45Auto

Commander

Hi A70,

Here's a couple of pics of the anchor locker on the front of my boat. The notches in the corners are where the rope can go through so you can close it with the anchor out. It also has an internal ring (that's attached to the back side of the bow ring so there's a lot of reinforcement behind it) that the end of the anchor rope is attached to so you don't accidently lose your anchor! I just throw out the anchor, wrap it around a cleat when enough rope is out, then close the door.

You could do something similar by glassing a lip on one side of your cutoff. Don't know how you'd work it if you don't want the hinges to show though.

Might want to make sure it has a drain also. You can see the drain fitting on mine with the big red arrow pointing to it.

Couldn't find any pics of the boat with the tube on top of the bimini. I'll take some next time we have it out.

Closed.jpg

Open.jpg

Drain2.jpg

45Auto

Commander

If you really have to have a hidden hinge, I have seen hinges like the sketch below. They have an offset that clears the lip of the frame. Don't know where you could get them though, might have to make them yourself.

hatch.jpg

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Very nice setup 45 auto. I especially like the hanger for the anchor. The only things I don't like are the hinges on it, but the one in the drawing would sure fit the bill. I have seen those offset hinges before as well, but not that large. I think that would be good for him, or even me.

The other thing I don't like is how low the drain appears to be... but it's kinda hard to tell from the photo, so it might be higher than I'm thinking it is.

Did you make yours entirely yourself as well? It really does look super sharp. Nice job! :)

45Auto

Commander

Hi SgtMaj,

Can't claim any credit for the anchor locker. It's a factory job on a Crownline 22'.

The drain rides about a foot and a half above the water at rest. You can kind of see the discoloration from the scum line in the lower right corner of that pic.

a70eliminator

Captain

45auto great looking photo, exactly what I'm trying to achieve, those hinges aren't so bad I'm game for something like that definately opened some doors for me. I quess with a drain there's no need to try making the lid watertight besides the rope has to exit somewhere. Looks like you have extra room in there too. I hadn't thought about the anchor flopping around something else i'll have to think about.

By the way my warbirdII showed up on my front porch just yesterday, I haven't taken it out of the box yet, but it sure is a heavy package, it would take a substantual bimini frame to support it.

Hey thanks again for the photo I'll be studying it.

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you opposed to riveting a stainless piano hinge? Not saying anything about the hinge, just a clean way to fasten whatever type of hinge you pick. No screws there. Just provide a backer plate on the inside of your storage for the rivets. Or use rivet washers. Some bass boats use that technique for flip back seats mounted to a piano hinge. Good luck. KR

a70eliminator

Captain

A stainless piano hinge mounted with stainless rivets would be great but would it work mounted underneath? I think it would have to right across the top surface, unless the door swing was down rather than up right?

JMRuth72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The hinge that 45auto sketched has been called a fowler flap hinge. It was designed to move a flap aft and down, but would move a hatch forward and up, then as it continues its arc would come aft and down if mounted on the aft edge. If you would like to get a hold of a small scale one to examine how it works and then scale up to your needs check out a hobby store that carries RC model airplanes. The first one that comes to mind is online and it is called Tower Hobbies. Then mock one up out of plywood to check operation before making one out of aluminum. The other thing that you could do is use interlocking lips to hold the rear of the hatch down with with a locking latch on the front with a lanyard to keep if from accidently going overboard or your anchor getting stolen. What I mean by interlocking lips is say the deck had three lips going forward and the hatch has two going aft that meet like you are interlocking your fingers. Let us know what you do and post some pics when you are done. Good luck. :)

JMRuth72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I stand corrected. I just decided to double check myself and I was wrong about the name of the hinge. I could have sworn that was it, but it has also been about 20 years since I built a model airplane. I found this hinge called a door hinge that is what I was thinking. It is made by a company called Robart and it is at the bottom of the page. Here is the link.

http://www.robart.com/Hinge.aspx

Sorry for the original bad information. The rest should be all straight. :rolleyes:

a70eliminator

Captain

It's all good, I fly quarter scale and build all my own planes so I'm no stranger to control hinges and have already thought about them, but after 45 auto's post I've realized I was overthinking the hinges, I'm just going to put some nice polished stainless door hinges maybe even a couple flush mount hinges, they really don't look bad on 45's hatch cover.

blouderback

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check with SSICustomPlastics (google them). They have tons of hatch covers and such that would probably fit the bill.