light laws

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
So the coast guard says I have to have navigation lights, with the red/green up front and the all around white in the back.

My question is, would it be legal to add more white lights up front? Here's the deal, I was thinking about adding a couple of "underwater lights" through-hull on the front that would actually be out of the water and would act similar to headlights on a car (in fact, if I could find the right style, and they were sealed well enough, I might be tempted to use car headlights for it). Would that be legal?

I know I'm crazy for even thinking of doing that, but I've had a couple friends lose their motors and transoms to logs floating in the water here. Plus, I like having a light shining in the water if I'm fishing after dark to attract bait fish (which attract game fish).

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: light laws

There are/were boats made with them. They were called docking lights.
Was made out front, 1 on each side and shined straight forward.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..........

But they're Only for Docking........

With a Bright white light shining ahead of your boat,......
You'll see Less than running with No lights........

tashasdaddy

agreed, if you look at bigger boats and ships, you see a spot light, and i do believe there is a law not to have head lights, as another boat cannot tell your direction. that is the purpose of the red/green light.

slow down, run for the conditions.

BillP

Captain

Unless there are USCG exceptions to your area, headlights and spotlights are legal thoughout US inland waters.

bp

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Well that's good enough for me, I'll nix that off my list.

Thanks for the info everyone.

D

DJ

Ayuh,..........

But they're Only for Docking........

With a Bright white light shining ahead of your boat,......
You'll see Less than running with No lights........

Absolutely correct.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

And there is NO WAY you should be going fast enough, at night, to do enough damage to lose a motor. Night speeds might be BARELY plaining speed, if not slower...
- Scott

tashasdaddy

most night time boating accidents, include alcohol, or drugs, and bad judgement. all you really need is a hand held rechargeable spotlight.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Just out of curiosity, what if it wasn't white, but was another color, such as blue, or purple? Probably not, right?

brussell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

dark is best and here you dont have to have your white light on unless stopped I think...I use a spotlight to light up the channel markers though....

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

dark is best and here you dont have to have your white light on unless stopped I think...I use a spotlight to light up the channel markers though....

I was doing the same thing at barely planing speed earlier this year here in Ga at lake Oconnee...dang sherrif stopped me to "make sure I wasnt lost"...and while he was at it he kindly searched my boat. Never asked for a fishing license. Said it "was unusual" to boat with a spotlight. I typically do a 180 degree sweep of the spot light about every 20-30 seconds to make sure my path is clear and I am on course (before I had my Humminbird with GPS and Navionics Chip).... Where I am originally from (Northeast Louisiana) you NEVER boat without a light on AT ALL TIMES...simply too many cypress stumps and gators that you can hit!

brussell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My uncle used to run 55 mph at night using only nav lights and a depth finder...........

45Auto

Commander

My uncle used to run 55 mph at night using only nav lights and a depth finder...........

Why did he stop doing it?​