Why you should wear protection...

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
You know, I thought I should post this because I didn't know any better myself just a week ago, so I'm sure other people that are new to fiberglass boat restorations won't know either.

I always knew to cover up any exposed skin when working with solvents, chemicals, or when doing things like applying resins, etc. What I didn't know, was that it's equally important when you're sanding it down. Last week I was getting down into the transom, and to do that, I had to use a rotary tool to cut away some top layers of fiberglass, gelcoat, and epoxy filler. That kicked up a lot of dust, most of which landed on my left arm (since i was holding the rotary tool in my right arm and steadying the transom/myself with my left arm). It wasn't more than about 15 minutes into the job when my arm began to itch, burn and give sharp pains. Because this wasn't the first time I've had chemical burns (yes, I am an idiot), I knew that's what was causing it, so I went in and rinsed my arms off for about 30 mins, and then put on a jacket that covered my arms before continuing. The burning sensation stopped after I rinsed them, but the pain and itchyness continued.

The next day I had a big bumpy itchy rash all down my left forearm. Although greatly improved since then, it's still there now. Here's a recent pic of it, taken nearly a week after the fact, and you can still kinda tell where it was/is.

arm.jpg

That is why you should always cover up, wear a good dust mask, and wear eye protection (the last two I was smart enough to wear) when working with this stuff, even if you're just taking off the old stuff.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Why you should wear protection...

The most important aspect of working with fibreglass is when mixing the resin and hardener. A chemical reaction occurs that instantly fries brain cells when inhaled. A caution to all, wear a respirator and work in a well ventilated area. Although, there are probably some that enjoy the side effects.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

how would you cover up neck, head, and face area?

erikgreen

Captain

Or, just use epoxy. No vented gases at all from most brands.

For the protection of exposed skin, use baby powder or a barrier cream BEFORE you start work.

Make an effort to manage dust and flying fibers using a dust control system, fans, or other means if you're sanding and WEAR a DUST MASK. Fiberglass in the lungs is not good. It's not much better in the eyes, so wear goggles, not just safety glasses, when sanding.

Erik

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey big9000
i got thoes white paper coverall with a hoodie built in. wear the hoodie,
i also tape the arms and legs. my girl is makin me some velcro straps.
that with a big resporator and safety glasses. most of everything is covered.
dont forget the mech gloves.
cheers and
happy grinding!

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Some people are more sensitive to that than others. I can grind glass all day (wearing a resperator) without skin protection, take a quick cold shower then a long hot shower and have no itchiness what so ever, others that I know can be a mile away and get a rash.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

There was some kind of white compound under the glass, I'm not sure what it was, but I suspect that it was that compound that caused the problem, as I have been sanding the rest of the boat without any problems, and even laid down some fiberglass insulation in the attic and crawlspace last summer without any protection without a problem (well, it did get itchy until I took a shower, but that's normal and there was no resulting rash). Also, the rotary tool did get QUITE hot while I was working on the transom, and the glass and compound under the glass was smoking while I was cutting through it, so possibly that changed the molecular structure to something more toxic. I don't know.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

There was some kind of white compound under the glass, I'm not sure what it was, but I suspect that it was that compound that caused the problem, as I have been sanding the rest of the boat without any problems, and even laid down some fiberglass insulation in the attic and crawlspace last summer without any protection without a problem (well, it did get itchy until I took a shower, but that's normal and there was no resulting rash). Also, the rotary tool did get QUITE hot while I was working on the transom, and the glass and compound under the glass was smoking while I was cutting through it, so possibly that changed the molecular structure to something more toxic. I don't know.

I'm not sure that I have ever dealt with this white compound that you are talking about. But yes when cutting the fiberglass like I did with a dremel tool on the bow to install a new control panel I made up, that was some nasty stuff and the dremel did heat up along with smoke coming from the area I was cutting. I was working on my boat outside during that time.

I have never had a reaction from sanding my 1960 13ft boat down. I nearly have the whole boat sanded, I'll finish the wrest of it next year sometime lol. I was wearing a respirator also during the sanding process.

reelfishin

Captain

Fiberglass is just plain nasty stuff to work with. But as noted above, some people have better tolerance of it than others. I've cut up several boats for scrap lately, I try to avoid doing it when its hot out to avoid sweating while working with the stuff. I keep an old pair of coveralls just for that kind of work, they get vacuumed off and washed separately when I'm done. Eye protection is number one, the next is a dust mask of any type, but a full respirator is best.

Fiberglass tears me up, I get a rash with nearly any contact, I suppose its part of the reason I've always preferred aluminum boats.
The same goes for the mixing resin, but modern epoxy is a good solution for that. You can do a web search on fiberglass hazards as well.
Most of the serious hazard come from breathing in either the tiny particles, which can get trapped in the lungs similar to asbestos, and from inhalation of vapors while working with polyester resins.

When working with or cutting old glass, I try to keep the dust down. If I'm cutting up an old boat, I usually wet the area down some to keep the dust down and work up wind if possible.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Well the good news is I figured out exactly what caused it... there is a patch of what appears to be rotten fiberglass on the boat. Only, fiberglass doesn't rot, so it's got to be some kind of fungus or bacteria on the fiberglass. It discolored it and even when sanding it, it came out not dusty, but kinda spongy.

The bad news is, there was only one way for me to figure that out, and that was via another reaction.

The good news is that since I already had one reaction, my body has built up some resistance or antibodies, so it wasn't nearly so bad this time.