Is this Boat worth fixing???

CapriRestorer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently bought a 1983 Bayliner Capri (18' 1950 Type) with a 120 HP Volvo Penta (?? Model AQ125A??) sterndrive. There is no interior and the engine does not start. What is the top speed of this boat?? How does this boat perform?? Is this a good boat to restore??

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is this Boat worth fixing???

Only thing i know about Bayliners is if you kept one at the marina where mom and dad kept there boats you took alot of ribbing:D Dunno if its still that way or not lol.Back in the early 80s they were real cheap practicaly gave em away?If you like the boat and it is gonna suit your needs? Get it and fix er up!The weight and size of that boat and that motor it wont be a speed wagon,that i can tell ya.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

probably 30-35 mph actually underpowered for water sports.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

I would also guess at 30 to 35 mph. It will struggle to get a ski-er up, but would work fine for towing someone on an inflatable. It really depends what it's going to cost you to get it fixed as to wether it's worth fixing! As they say round here "A bad day boating is still better than a good day at the office!".. :p
If you are going to do the work yourself, then it's probably worth fixing up, but you will soon grow tired of its limited performance. But then you could sell it and use the cash as a down payment on something bigger/better. The great thing with old boats is that if it's your first boat you will make lots of silly little mistakes and it wont upsett you as much as damaging a new expensive boat. It also gives you a chance to find out how you want to use the boat, so your next one will meet your needs (which you probably aren't sure off just yet!). It's also a great way to learn about boats and will serve you really well when you go to buy your next boat, you will know exactly what to look for and how to check it. :)

Gary

tommays

Admiral

Motor and drive FIRST if there are problems the price of Volvo parts will kill the budget

Tommays

CapriRestorer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for the replies. I think the motor needs a new starter as well as a whole tilt/ trim mechanism (rods, motor, etc.) It is an older model of Volvo. Will this affect the price for fixing it??

Trackbolt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the same exact boat and engine. I like the AQ125A although as previously said it is somewhat underpowered. Mine roughly tops out at 30 MPH fully loaded with 4 passengers. It is a tough little motor that will take some punishment. The four cylinder single carb AQ 125A is thrifty on gas too. Check compression should be difference should not be any greater than 10 psi between cylinders. If the engine is in need of major work such pistons rings, bearings and machine shop work the rebuild will add up to big dollars quick. All parts are expensive ala Volvo. Put a socket on the crankshaft pully and see if the engine will turn with a breaker bar. If the engine is locked up I would stop there. The interior of that boat will be a lot of work. Reclining seat sets start at about $150-$200 ea. That make boat of that year in good running condition will fetch little more than $2000 with a trailer here on the Chesapeake Bay in MD. Mine needed an engine which I found on Ebay several years ago, drive shaft joints, boots, gaskets and tune up parts for the engine. The boat needed some plywood on the interior sides replaced. The plywood in those old Bayliners rotted fast and thoroughly. The PO replaced the floor and stringers back in the early 90's so I was told. The transom is still rock solid. The boat was a gift, locked up engine and all. We spent about $2500 to get it seaworthy,did the work ourselves and have enjoyed the boat.

Hope this helps

slia67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before you get too far into it, make sure you check the transom. My '85 1950 is in need of a transom rebuild this winter. Use the "tap" test, especially around the outdrive mount.

Like trackbolt said, "The plywood in those old Bayliners rotted fast and thoroughly." And parts are expensive for the Volvo/Penta set-up. Just take a look on eBay for the tilt assy, expect to pay $250 - 400 depending on condition.

But now for the good news. They are great on fuel. Even though they are expensive to fix, the Volvo/Penta runs long and strong. They handle waves well.

It is a great starter boat, or just something to get out on the water with. You wouldn't have a problem pulling someone on a tube or even a pair of skis, but is a little under powereed when it comes to a slalom skier. 25 -30 mph is about top speed for these animals. Hope this helps.

Doug

oops!

Supreme Mariner

there is lots of things to consider here!

first what do u want to use the boat for?
is it gonna do what you want it to do?

i bought a book called runabout renovation. (jim anderson) its easy to understand and has good pre-refit questions and recomendations.

that and lots of searching these threads will give you all you need to know.

good luck

oops!

btw oops stands for the fact that i bought a used boat and am now doing a re fit!:eek:

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Here's a real response for ya:

That boat is not worth the time and effort.

1) The trim and tilt systemwill be expensive and if it's a salt water boat, near impossible.

2) That 4 banger engine is way too small for that size of boat. As said, 30 - 35 is all you can hope for.

3) Interior will cost you $2,000 or so if done professionally.

4) The quality of the boat is...... let's just say poor. 1983 was right in the middle of the recession and boat builders were cutting corners everywhere. Bayliner produced some of the worst boats on the market during this time.

If I were you, I'd put a starter on it and if it cranks up and runs........sell it. try to make a profit and look for a Checkmate.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

cr~
pull that starter and ck it out at the case with some jumpers. many starters needing to be replaced, dont need to be. may be a solenoid or bendix needs to be cleaned on contacts. dont over look a brush that broke or shorted. usually can replace them. sometimes takes 4 hands to slide armature back into brush manifold. clean and air blow dust out, wear shield. well, if u r going to service the entire boat, might as well do the starter, too. then lube and reassemble. my 2-cents

"click-click-click... whirrrrr!" ;)

regards
lakester:cool:

CapriRestorer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. I think I will take the plunge in fixing it. What should I start fixing??

CapriRestorer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies. I think I will take the plunge in fixing it. What should I start on first??

Trackbolt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check the engine first. If it will crank and has even compression in all four cylinders then I would start to figure just how much it is going to cost to to make it seaworthy before I did anything else. If it fails the compression test I would not go any further unless the rest of the boat and stern drive is in excellent condition and needs litle or nothing and consider rebuilding or replacing the engine. What drive do you have? The AQ 270 drive unit was common with the AQ125A engine. Check the boots for the universal joint and exhaust. Check the drive oil for water intrusion. If all of that needs little or no work only then would I go on to the rest of the boat.

Good Luck

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the replies. I think I will take the plunge in fixing it. What should I start on first??

Sondness of the hull and transom, then motor and outdrive, then the cosmetics/interior etc.
Just my humble opinion though.

CapriRestorer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Reply to Trackbolt

(Thanks again for the replies.) The drive on my boat is a VP 270. I had a question about the drive also. I recently put the main belt on the front of the engine (alternator-cylinders). The prop turns freely in a reverse direction, but it is very hard to turn it in the right direction. It did not do that until I put the belt on the engine. Will the bearings need to be replaced, or is it just the belt on the engine.

Will this affect the engine also??

The boat was bought new in '83 by the original owner. He owned it until 1997 until he was put in prision for life. The boat sat in a storage yard for eight years (until 2005). The second owner purchased it and it apparantly started right up after eight years of sitting. He lost all interest and let the boat sit for two years, until I bought it from him in November. Will this be a factor in restoring the engine since it sat for so long?? The engine does turn freely, as well as the outdrive. Is this all I should worry about?? Should I protect the engine from the cold weather since there is still gas and oil in it??