restore gloss finish/gelcoat?

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 17' Glassmaster Daytona. What would be the best way to restore or repaint the hull? The gelcoat is in good shape, no cracks or scratches, but it has lost its gloss/shine and color(as in, its more of a "faded" white. I've heard of paint called Awlgrip that supposedly can make a hull look brand new after sanding and painting. I've also heard that certain techniques using buffing and waxing can restore the original finish, although I'm doubtful of that.
If I do decide to paint it, which seems the best way, would I have to spray to get a glossy finish, or would a fine roller do the job?

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: restore gloss finish/gelcoat?

Try a glazing compound on a high speed buffer with a foam pad, followed by canuba wax or something similar. That should remove the oxidation and bring back some shine. Mothers makes a pretty good glazing compound, but you'll definitely need a serious buffer/grinder (7" or better), not one of those cheesy kit like wonders that comes with a bonnet and polish.

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

immediatly after posting this i found a thread detailing the same question
so i can buy this polish at West Marine or Lowes or someplace like that?
I also hear you should clean (via soap water, then acetone) first, then lightly sand the gelcoat before polishing.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Soap and water's fine, acetone won't do much to help.

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

maybe i said the wrong thing, i thought you were supposed to use solvent to remove the oxidation and crud out of the old gelcoat before you started
however the coat is in good condition so maybe thats not necessary

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just picked up my 77 speedliner today with the same problem. It also has been painted on the top Looks like a rattle can paint job Red over Black metal flake Lot's o work ahead

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You just need to get the dirt and grime off before you start sanding, soap and water will do that.

Mudmagnet,

Acetone will noramlly take off rattle can paint pretty fast, try it on an area and see if works.

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

I rubbed it just a bit with some 1K wet paper Paint came off pretty easy but I will try Acetone thanks

MikDee

Banned

I rubbed it just a bit with some 1K wet paper Paint came off pretty easy but I will try Acetone thanks

Just a note here for removing stubborn paint over gel coat, without damaging the gel coat, "Easy Off" oven cleaner! I learned that right here on the forum, as the boat I had just bought had an obnoxious name with 4" lettering by about 6' long painted on the side, it took it right off, be careful it works too easy, and will burn your skin (it has lye in it).