how to strengthen hull

i was wondering if there is a way to make the hull stronger and more relisent to flex. would adding cross beams to the stringers be a good idea. thanks

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to strengthen hull

i was wondering if there is a way to make the hull stronger and more relisent to flex. would adding cross beams to the stringers be a good idea. thanks

Would help to know what you have and how it is constructed. Pics are always a plus.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Ahh say's grasshopper.....take a good que form the barge master..........:p

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Yellow, Stringers and frames need to be in the correct place to provide increased strength. If they are in the wrong place, they create "Strong points" which may cause the fiberglass to fail elsewhere. if you have an issue with rigidity, you should first replace any rotted stringers and frames. It is likely OK to make them stronger than the original, however, unless you are pretty sure where to add structure, you should be careful.

BTW - the pour in foam used by many boat builders add a lot of strength to the fiberglass skin in the bottom.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yellow, Stringers and frames need to be in the correct place to provide increased strength. If they are in the wrong place, they create "Strong points" which may cause the fiberglass to fail elsewhere. if you have an issue with rigidity, you should first replace any rotted stringers and frames. It is likely OK to make them stronger than the original, however, unless you are pretty sure where to add structure, you should be careful.

BTW - the pour in foam used by many boat builders add a lot of strength to the fiberglass skin in the bottom.

Very good info there, while i know there are some very knowledgeable tradesman in here who will twitch a bit when i second the pour in foam, but adding say 9lb foam along with a good stringer system will give you a hull of incredible strength......almost like concrete...:D

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Don't you mean 'say's the scow master'?:D

We have new rule's in regard's to inflamatory statement's and i for one intend to keep the creed up. Scow......geesh, barge fills the bill quite nicely.......kinda like a term of endearment.......;)

penst8grad

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very good info there, while i know there are some very knowledgeable tradesman in here who will twitch a bit when i second the pour in foam, but adding say 9lb foam along with a good stringer system will give you a hull of incredible strength......almost like concrete...:D

I second, or third the statement about the foam and strength. I have my floor and stringers out of my boat right now and the about of flex once the foam was removed increased a lot. I plan on reinstalling the foam as it seems that the manufacturer intended it to be a structural element as well as required by CG.