Acetone on gel-coat?

clancy72

Seaman Apprentice
Can you use acetone on gel-coat as a pre-paint wax remover? Too aggressive?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Acetone on gel-coat?

Yes, it will have no effect on the gel coat, but there are better products to remove wax and other contaminates. Automotive paint stores will have products designed for just this purpose and they will do a better job.

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found it. It's made by Dupont. It's called First Clean. According to the paint man at Carquest, it's specifally made as a dewaxer. About $35 a gallon.

clancy72

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, that sounds a lot better than $25 a quart at the local boat shop....

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Acetone flash's off to fast to disolve wax completely, i found out the hard way. Sherwin William's sell's a product called Xylene for 15 a gallon, use rubber glove's and it will do the job nicely

clancy72

Seaman Apprentice

I've used Xylene prior to rolling on bedliner. Strong stuff! From what i remember it was a bit cheaper than de-waxer.. probably the same chemical compounds in a pretty bottle with a boat pic on it:D

Zetman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think Acetone will eat anything plastic it comes in contact with..be carefull.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I think Acetone will eat anything plastic it comes in contact with..be carefull.

I used to think like that, but Acetone will not cut all the wax, it flashes off to quickly.........been there done that....;)

In relationship to stripping wax for painting purpose's..

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put up what might be a bad piece of info. Pettit makes a product specifically for dewaxing. iboats doesn't list it in the store, but by using the retail locator at pettitpaint.com you can find who near you carries it. On their site, it's listed under thinners. Hope this helps.

Part Number Description Size
11509506 F/G Dewaxer 95 GL
11509508 F/G Dewaxer 95 QT

I wish I knew whether Xylene is as good. This stuff is made specifally to dewax gelcoat. About $60 a gallon. Xylene is a WHOLE lot cheaper.I ordered up some, but can call back and cancel that part of the order.
KR