Re-sewing Canvas - What Thread??

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
I need to re-sew a couple of seams on my top. What thread is the best considering my boat is out in the sun 365 - Florida you know. We have a consumer sewing machine.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Re-sewing Canvas - What Thread??

My Tarp,+ Awning Guy says that is has to be Polyester........

There are Better,...... But they cost the price of a College Education per spool......

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"Star Ultra" on e-Bay. Great stuff. Not as expensive as the sunbrella stuff.

4 ply polyester with uv protectant. They have sunbrella colors to match. 1000 yrds per role @ $21.95/roll + shipping $11.95.

Do a search on e-Bay for item #270156665615

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

1,000 yards to do a 4' seam - a bit of overkill don't-cha-think??

burroak

You will need bonded polyester V-92 thread. It is not found in variety stores; it must be ordered. There are many sources on the net. Find some one who will sell a 1 oz cone. That's about 850 yards.

Other factor to consider:

The needle is as important as the thread. A #18 needle is best for canvas work.
Machine setup. Set your machine for the longest stitch that it will make.
Thread tension. Be sure to check the tension; the stitch should be buried within the work.
Presser foot. There is no need to increase pressure if the machine sews correctly otherwise. Raise the feed dog, if possible. Do not pull the work too forcefully, you get broken needles.:D

"A stitch in time...."

KnottyBuoyz

1,000 yards to do a 4' seam - a bit of overkill don't-cha-think??

Yup! Ya didn't mention how much you had to repair.

Ain't seen too many smaller sizes though. Ya might want to check your local canvas shop and see if they'll sell ya a couple hundred feet to get ya through. If money's an issue you can go with a commercial V92 Nylon upholstery thread and resew your 4' seam every year. They'll sell for $6 for a 1 lb spool about 1500'.

As burroak said needle size and tension is important in getting a good repair. You might want to invest in a "stitch ripper" as well.

I'm married to a seamstress w/4 sewing machines in our spare bedroom! *lol*

If you want some cheap v92 nylon to practice with shoot me a PM and I'll poach some from her stash. Limited colors though. I know she's got lots of brown on hand.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Needed to make a small repair to my Sunbrella top. Of all places Jo Anne Fabrics had the identical material for $6.00 or $7.00. Got a bunch left, black in color if you want it send me a pm and it yours - n/c.

burroak

If you want some cheap v92 nylon to practice....

Note:For practice.:D

Just because it's free does not make it the thread to use for the final repair.

KnottyBuoyz

Note:For practice.:D

Just because it's free does not make it the thread to use for the final repair.

Absolutely!

I use scraps and cut offs to practice on all the time. I like to practice to get a feel for the machine/needle/thread/material combinations. When I started I used to break a needle a run. Now I go forever one one needle. When I was taking my basic training as a seaman in the Coast Guard we stitched canvas by hand with a palm & needle. You learn to appreciate the sewing machine very quickly!

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Any thoughts on dacron thread? It supposedly has good UV resistance and very little stretch, (but maybe that's not a good thing?)

burroak

Any thoughts on dacron thread? It supposedly has good UV resistance and very little stretch, (but maybe that's not a good thing?)

Dacron is a trade name for polyester. If you can get it in the size needed, you should be good to go.

Dacron is used in making sail cloth because of its resistance to stretching, but the mechanics of stitching will allow for any stretch that is needed.

BillP

Captain

There are two basic types of polyester (dacron) thread...spun and bonded. Spun is used on clothes and bonded used on exterior sunbrella type materials. Do V138 if your machine can handle it. V138 is the heaviest and longest lasting but V92 is the biggest size most non commercial machines can use without hassles.

Check ...thethreadexchange dot com for small spools of bonded polyester (dacron). I've used their bonded polyester thread for yrs on sunbrella with great results.

b.

KnottyBuoyz

Do V138 if your machine can handle it. V138 is the heaviest and longest lasting but V92 is the biggest size most non commercial machines can use without hassles.
What size needle would you need for a V138 Bill? I got the wifey a commercial Singer this winter that should be able to handle it.

BillP

Captain

Size 20 (130) and 22 (140) is normal for V138 thread.

I use the bigger size 22 with V138 and sunbrella.

b.

KnottyBuoyz

Do you guys use any special thread when sewing through clear plastic used in windows?

BillP

Captain

V92 is the normal thread used for boat canvas.

http://www2.sailrite.com/Thread-Sewing-Machine-Needle-Chart.htm

You want to use polyester thread...not nylon.

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/category_listing.asp_Q_CatID_E_420

For Sunbrella, you really don't need to use larger thread than v92 and you have smaller needle holes.

V92 might be normal is some places but pro marine canvas shops in FL use V138 on Sunbrella. There's nothing wrong with using V92 but V138V makes better covers...stronger and longer life...it also punches though multi-layer reinforcement areas easier than V92. V92 last about 75% as long as V138 in UV conditions. Needle hole sizes between the two are a wash. The main reason shops use V92 on multiple layers of heavy material is because it gives longer sessions between bobbin changes...especially when using machines that don't (like sailrite's and clothes type commercial machines being used for canvas) have large bobbins. When doing production work this is major time gain and way less operator hassle. Customers have no clue about thread size and give zero value to V138 over V92 either.

Also, don't let advertising hype get anyone hung up on thread brand. I've purchased (since the mid 1970s) bonded dacron from many sources around the USA and never had a problem with any of it. I currently have four different brands (including sailrite's) and see zero difference between them in sewability or life span. About the only difference you see between bonded threads is on old thread where the lubrication has dried and makes the thread harder to keep uniform tension. A little teflon spray or oil on the spool brings it back to new.

There's no one right way but some are better than others.

B.

burroak

V92 might be normal is some places but pro marine canvas shops in FL use V138 on Sunbrella. There's nothing wrong with using V92 but V138V makes better covers...stronger and longer life...it also punches though multi-layer reinforcement areas easier than V92. V92 last about 75% as long as V138 in UV conditions. Needle hole sizes between the two are a wash. The main reason shops use V92 on multiple layers of heavy material is because it gives longer sessions between bobbin changes...especially when using machines that don't (like sailrite's and clothes type commercial machines being used for canvas) have large bobbins. When doing production work this is major time gain and way less operator hassle. Customers have no clue about thread size and give zero value to V138 over V92 either.

Also, don't let advertising hype get anyone hung up on thread brand. I've purchased (since the mid 1970s) bonded dacron from many sources around the USA and never had a problem with any of it. I currently have four different brands (including sailrite's) and see zero difference between them in sewability or life span. About the only difference you see between bonded threads is on old thread where the lubrication has dried and makes the thread harder to keep uniform tension. A little teflon spray or oil on the spool brings it back to new.

There's no one right way but some are better than others.

B.

Interesting but what does this have to do with Solittle resewing a couple of seams?

BillP

Captain

Interesting but what does this have to do with Solittle resewing a couple of seams?

The answer is highly classifed and a complete explanation can only be shared in private with Solittle. A brief explanation CAN be revealed with one word though..."thread".

bp