removing oxidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

evinrude bayliner

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 86 bayliner capri fiberglass boat. The paint is oxidized and I would like to remove the oxidation and give it some shine. The mechanic that works on my boat said that the gelcoat is not gone just oxidized bad. What is the best way to get rid of the oxidation. I tried some turtle wax rubbing compound and cleaner along with some wax and a electric buffer. This basically cleaned the hull and gave it a slight shine that lasted a couple of trips to the lake. There is still alot of oxidation along the top sides of the hull. Any tips would be helpful.

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: removing oxidation.

I read a post somewhere, and saw before and after pics, of a guy that used Comet cleanser with a green scotch pad, then rubbing compound then polish. The end result was awsome. This is the method I will use on my boat.

MikDee

Banned

I have an 86 bayliner capri fiberglass boat. The paint is oxidized and I would like to remove the oxidation and give it some shine. The mechanic that works on my boat said that the gelcoat is not gone just oxidized bad. What is the best way to get rid of the oxidation. I tried some turtle wax rubbing compound and cleaner along with some wax and a electric buffer. This basically cleaned the hull and gave it a slight shine that lasted a couple of trips to the lake. There is still alot of oxidation along the top sides of the hull. Any tips would be helpful.

Did you use rubbing compound, or polishing compound? the brown, or the white? The polishing compound is the one to finish with! I don't bother with any of that work, I'm too old, tired, lazy, and don't wanna waste my time, I just use vaseline. Hey, when I get done I can rub it through my hair too!,,, Wait, I have no hair?! :D My son's boat, before, and after:

Attachments

• Before 1.jpg
    Before 1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1
  • After 1.jpg
    After 1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1

kmurray802

Seaman

If you have used a good rubbing compound & elect.buffer and your still not cutting Thur oxidation you may want to consider wet sanding.Research the technique before beginning.It will restore you color & shine but it takes a LOT of elbow grease to complete.:rolleyes:

evinrude bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

I used the brown compound first and then the white. I noticed when using the brown it would rub off and leave a light stain on the gel coat. Most of it cane off except near the bow area.

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A disclaimer first-I have not done this on gel coat to the best of my memory! I did spend many years doing this sort of work though-try some 2000 grit sandpaper-keep it wet and clean in a dish of water-then move on to the rubbing compound,or try the white polish in an area to see if the compound is needed.

Last edited:

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

I did a 1982 Hobie Cat 16 that had sat out in the weather for years. It was total chaulk. An orbital polisher (Porter Cable) with compound w/ a compound pad wouldn't cut it. So I started wet sanding (keep a spray bottle with you to keep it wet all the time) w/ 600 grit. I was going thru paper like crazy. I switched to 3M or Gatorback's sanding blocks. Basically sponges w/ grit on them. After a few feet, rinse them in a bucket of water. I did the whole boat w/ two of them. Choose the equivalent of 600 grit. Then go around the boat again w/ 800 or 1000 (wet). One more time w/ 1500 or 2000 (again wet). Then use the orbital polisher w/ a compound intended for gelcoat. Then one more time w/ a finer gelcoat compound (such as a cleaner). Then finally w/ either a combo polish/wax combination product; or a round of polish, then a round of wax. If it seems like a lot -- it is. The results will be what you want AND it will last. Otherwise, it will come back in these severe cases.

Here are the before and after pictures.

Attachments

• PICT0149 (Small).JPG
    PICT0149 (Small).JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0142 (Small).JPG
    PICT0142 (Small).JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0154 (Small).JPG
    PICT0154 (Small).JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0148 (Small).JPG
    PICT0148 (Small).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 0

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have had good results using Zymol. The transom especially & the hull on my boat were oxidized & the Zymol removed probably 90% of it. The 3m products i used were a waste of time & $$$$. It's also the only product that I use on my truck. However, I have a question. Has anyone tried using a clay bar on gelcoat? I did my truck last year & the results were amazing.

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you use rubbing compound, or polishing compound? the brown, or the white? The polishing compound is the one to finish with! I don't bother with any of that work, I'm too old, tired, lazy, and don't wanna waste my time, I just use vaseline. Hey, when I get done I can rub it through my hair too!,,, Wait, I have no hair?! :D My son's boat, before, and after:

:confused: is this for real

MikDee

Banned

:confused: is this for real

What don't you understand? If the boat is totally faded, rub some vaseline into it liberally, remove the excess, and you're done! Best done, in the heat or sun, you will be removing excess vaseline for a few times, but then it will stop, it will bring it back to the original color, & shine, and if you had any shadows left from removing vinyl boat names, they'll disappear. Also, wait till you see how nice your pin striping tape, aluminum windsheild frame, deck fittings, and vinyl cushions come out! A one product solution. A helluva lot easier to do then all the time, work, and money spent the hard way, I know it's not "the right way", but if there wasn't so much area to do on a boat (such as a hobie cat) I might consider doing it the right way. I know it may seem unorthodox, and foriegn to some here, believe me it works! But then again, rubbing my boat down with comet, and a green scotch pad, seems foriegn to me?

By the way, you saw the before, & after pics of what I did with my son's boat.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Yes it works, but it's short term fix, kind of like putting water on a rock, it looks good until it dries out. It's the same result you get from some polishing compounds, the oil soaks in and make it look good for a little while.

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

i was just amazed as i have been looking at how to clean my boat as it is very bad.
guess i will try it in a small area

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it works, but it's short term fix, kind of like putting water on a rock, it looks good until it dries out. It's the same result you get from some polishing compounds, the oil soaks in and make it look good for a liitle while.

but after doing it wouldn't it at least help speed up the process by getting rid of some of the oxidation or am i confused:confused:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you remove the oxidation then you don't need the vasilene and after it's buffed, with a little care, the gloss should last a long time.

MikDee

Banned

Once the vaseline is fully absorbed, any waxing, or polishing, over it only makes it better, and the color stays longer!

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Has anyone slipped and darn near broke thier neck on the vasaline?

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think I'll go out & try it. I have a few spots that sre still chalky. We'll see.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, Mike, you made a believer out of me. I grabbed a jar of vaseline & went at it. I just did the entire transom on my 1987 Starcraft 19ftr. in probably 10 min. There ain't a trace of oxidation left! All I used was a clean cotton t-shirt to apply & wipe off. I can't believe it. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Thanx for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.