Not open for further replies.

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: removing oxidation.

what happens when you apply wax afterwards

MikDee

Banned

Give it a good wipe, enjoy the new look, and use your boat,,, in a week or so it will be absorbed enough to wax, use the wax, polish of your choice, personally I use Starbrite silicon cleaner wax, or a generic equivalent, it's cheap, deepens the color, and enhances the shine, with minor effort. I usually also makes a dramatic improvement, but doesn't hold up as well as some, but is so easy to do, you won't mind doing it weekly, or by weekly, and usually it gets better as time goes by between coats.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Vaseline? That sounds ghetto to me. Wet sanding? A waste of time IMO when you take time and energy spent and compare it to final results.

My friend who owns and operates a very successful auto body shop that also does marine repair recommends 3M Restorer and Wax. The restorer is a very good compound and it has some wax in it. Use the liquid in the bottle (09005) Then I waxed the boat with 3M scotchbright liquid wax.

3Mwax.jpg

I used this on my boat that hadn't seen a wax and compound wheel in probably a decade at least. I wish I had some before and after pictures but I don't. All I can say is for the amount of effort I put in, which was strenuous and time consuming, you couldn't ask for a better result. The sides and bottom cleaned up nicer since they saw less direct sunlight and oxydation. I used a Dewalt variable speed, variable trigger wheel. Set real low to like 1000 rpm. I used a regular compounding pad on it. For my 20' MFG I used a quart and a half. Granted the tops are not as good as the side but the difference as I said was night and day. I could have compounded it twice and blown through a few bottles of restorer but there is no sense. When the oxydation is that bad, it will take a few compound sessions to really get the shine back. In the spring I'll hit it up again with the wheel and wax it again. Eventually you'll get all that oxidation out. You need to work the compound in until its almost gone then buff it off with a soft shop rag. You'll still have tired arms when you're done but I did an entire 20' boat inside and out with this stuff in about 16 hours (a weekend basically.)

Brandan Barnes

Recruit

I would Like to Thank MikDee. The vaseline thing works great. It completely absorbs into the gelcoat and brings out the shine fast easy and most of all its alot cheaper than the rubbing compounds and polishes that i spent over 100.00 dollars on and 2 and a half hours using with an electric buffer to be barely better off than i started. The vaseline in my opinon is the way to go. Thank You again.

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the results I got from my 35 year old that hadn't been waxed in 20 years and mostly kept out side. this area was done by hand in about 5 min all three products. The boat was finished by buffer and hand. When the compound stopped feeling gritty the Finesse was used next to give the wet looking gloss. That was a year ago and has been stored outside with only a boat covre and it still beads.
Mike

Attachments

• IM000010.JPG
    IM000010.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IM000013.JPG
    IM000013.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1

BLDFW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe the Vaseline method. I discovered by accident McGuires Nxt Generation Tech Protectant , a thick clear spray that goes on like magic and total renews the color.

I used it on my '86 Bayliner with excellent results and now on my new old boat, a '70 Evinrude Explorer I bought back in September. Because the Explorer is trailerable and thus I could stand next to it, I did a light wet sanding with 1000 grit paper and then a coat of McGuires and it looks awesome! It's allowing me to shelve plans on a repaint down the road.

I'm sold on the spray. It goes on as sweet as you please with no effort. Way better than Armourall or the like.

Don't use any wax, poliosh or compound made for a car. It has Carnumba wax in it that gets into the pores of gelcoat. The boat will look great right after it's waxed, but will most likely turn yellow after being in the water. Use only marine products. I use 3M products and am very satisfied.

DK in Chicago

Seaman

Buff Magic really lives up to its name. I inherited a boat that had sat out for 5+ years in Chicago summers and winters and needed to do something so I looked here and elsewhere, and it ended up being the best way to go.

Do a search for Buff Magic on youtube and they have a good video about it.

Here is end result.. Was greyish white chalk before..

c609bdc0.jpg

deanvisser

Recruit

I would Like to Thank MikDee. The vaseline thing works great. It completely absorbs into the gelcoat and brings out the shine fast easy and most of all its alot cheaper than the rubbing compounds and polishes that i spent over 100.00 dollars on and 2 and a half hours using with an electric buffer to be barely better off than i started. The vaseline in my opinon is the way to go. Thank You again.

does it leave any sticky residue that may attract dust?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Gentlemen!!!

This has been discussed, MULTIPLE TIMES, here on the forum. All of the methods you have been bouncing around will give TEMPORARY Nice looking results but will NOT be permanent and in the end will make it MORE DIFFICULT to do the job correctly.

Bottom line is this. There is NO SUBSTITUTE for repairing faded Gelcoat on Boats other than Elbow Grease and the proper Polishing and Compounding materials and tools.

It's your boat and you CAN do what you want, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the actual facts of the matter.;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol..........

has anybody realized this is an

OLD THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.