Deck Boat Projesct

Status
Not open for further replies.

svilla

Seaman
I have a 1993 Sunbird Odyssey. Its a Deck boat. I have a soft rotten floor, I think the stringers, and any foam in the boat will be bad too. So I need to replace all the wood in this boat. I will be using Interlux Interdeck paint for the floor.

I need to know what type of fiberglass and resin I should use. I think that I want to use Vinyl Ester resin and 1708 for the entire project, if it will be strong and safe. And if the non-skid paint will work well with it.

Any reason not to use Vinyl Ester and 1708? Thanks.

Last edited:

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Deck Boat Projesct

I have the exact same boat and model year!
A great boat, I like it so much I also have the same boat in a 1996 model year. Which has the one piece fiberglass floor.
My 1993 deck was redone by the previous owner. They gave me some redo pics and I did not see any foam in place nor have I seen any installed. Although I would have to pull the deck to see for sure.
It also appears that they encased the crossmembers with resin.
I wish they had installed more crossmembers as there is not enough support between what there is now for the 3/4" treated plywood. Thus allowing the seams to pull away from each other. The floor was covered with something that peels and pops off of the screw heads. The covering (as far as I can tell)no glass mat or woven materials were used on top of the plywood. And the edges were not sealed were the rubrail molding is screwed into the edge of the plywood thru the hull lip. Looks like eggshell and about as thick.

When the PO re-did the deck, they installed a 25gallon fuel tank about 1 foot from the stern below deck on each side. The rear bench seat was not re-installed thus adding about 2.5 feet of floor space.
We run her with the original dining table and two Todd brand reversable benches at the table. For the forward seating, we use whatever patio chairs and loungers we like. That way we can off load them to the beach if we like or use them at the house.

In the near future, I will be re-habing the 1996 model which was a hurricane Katrina victim. Transfering outboard and other "good stuff" from the 1993.
If the floor on the 1993 needs to be redone in order to make it sell, I am seriously thinking about not using plywood.
Since it has crossmembers already, I might add some more then use conventional 5/4x6 deckboards. Either treated wood or even the hi-tech compostite types. It is after all a "deckboat" haha.
Unlike a conventional pontoon, you don't get underdeck splash from the pontoons. Deckboards would allow topside drainage via the existing configuration to the bilge pumps at the stern. Deckboards would not delaminate when soaked either like plywood. Stain it with deck stain once a year. As far as weigh differences, I think it would be about the same as using the 3/4" plywood and last a lot longer. It would also be a whole lot easier to replace one bad deckboard or to remove one or two in order to get to something below deck.
I believe it is futile to try and waterproof the deck (plywood). Especially when the underside of the deck is exposed to the moisture that gets below deck anyways. Down here, the below deck chamber becomes a greenhouse for black mold unless you can spray it down with fungucide on a regular basis.

svilla

Seaman

Wow, small world. I'm in the Air Force and live in Navarre now. How is this boat in the water? Does she handle like a pontoon? I plan to hang an old Suzuki 140 on the back. This will end up being my Crab Island cruzer, I just want her to be safe.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Ha well then my guess is that the same dealer sold both of our boats when new. Auer Marine in Ft. Walton Beach was the local dealer, as far as I can tell.
My 1993 was a hurricane Ivan victim in Gulf Breeze, Fl. north side.

Anyways, I like how it handles especially compared to conventional pontoon.
Not as sensative to waves or wakes from the sides and does good going into waves or wakes and I have not yet submarined. She sits in the water about 1" above the ridge line of the hull on the sides. She is I think, quite a bit heavier than the same size pontoon so it does not look like a bobber on the water.
She corners pretty much like a v-hull too.
I have a 1999 90hp Johnson on the 1993, I think the hull is rated for 130hp but 140 sounds good.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Project boat

Re: Project boat

Getting back to your original question. Reasons to NOT use vinyl ester, none that I can think of, so long as you know its limitations and use it properly.
as you may have read on the forum, there are differing opinions on sealing - preserving wood on boats. Generally if you can seal all surfaces and edges with epoxy and then never make any mounting holes in the wood your set.

Of course what floor has NO mounting holes in it? So, I went the way of treating the wood with a copper based preservative and glassing only one side so that the water can escape from the wood on the 'open' side.

Jeeperman -- I am not familiar with the configuration of your boat, but that black mold would get the boat condemned by by allergist. Black mold is not something to play with, Seriously, has anyone in the family developed Asthma like symptoms, especially when around the boat? We had close friends near death until someone figured out that they had black mold all over in their house. Once the mold was cleared out they are as health as anyone.

Watch the 1st video on this web page it scary.. http://www.impressivebasements.com/mold.asp

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Not positive it is black mold. No one is sick.
We do not make it a habit to stick our heads into the confines of what is below deck while breathing deeply.
I can understand your concern, but so far I have managed to keep it undercontrol via funguscide treatments once in awhile.
Along with termite treatments too.
Hopefully now that it is under a carport, it will get a chance to get good and dry after being out on the water on weekends and not being rained on.

svan

Seaman Apprentice
I also have a 1996 Sunbird Odyssey. My floor has some soft spots and the lower hull has some rough abused areas. I love the hull and it rides nice, I will subscribe and follow you also I'll post some pics of mine. Good Luck!

svan

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, my Bad, just saw the date.... Duh... reply to a 12 yo post... hope you guys fixed yours

Status
Not open for further replies.